Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alarming creaking noises from Fox fork – anyone else?
  • bullandbladder
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Fox 32 FIT RLC that came as std on my Trance. Lately it’s developed a terrible and alarming creaking/cracking sound from the front end when it’s loaded (ie, heavy front braking), then the same noise can be replicated by applying the brake and loading in the opposite direction (off the bike, front brake on, pick up the front end, then bounce it down and backward),as if something is moving. It’s definitely the fork itself, as it’s still doing it when held in a vice by the steerer and yanked by the legs. I’m thinking either steerer or upper legs moving in the crown. It’s gone back to Fox now via my LBS, but I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue and what the outcome was?

Schweiz
    Free Member

I assume you checked for loose bolts on the lowers.

Quite a few people with crown/steerer or crown/stantion press-fit interface creaks from ’10/’11 Fox forks

xcstu
    Free Member

Quite a few people with crown/steerer or crown/stantion press-fit interface creaks from ’10/’11 Fox forks

Yes mine were creaking but have gone to be serviced at mojo… I had it if you grabbed the front tyre between your legs and twisted the handlebars hard.. grease all the controls, stem, handlebars to try n stop this…Slight worrying have a press-fit interface too… Giant anthem I have only just built 🙁

Hope mojo resolve mine too..

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Yeah, everything and I mean everything was removed/greased/refitted. As I said, still creaking when the fork alone was in a vice. I await the word from Mojo.

mudplugga
    Free Member

Crown/stanchion joint play. I had this problem twice on some ’07 RLCs’ eventually mojo replaced the uppers complete.

sean222
    Free Member

I had this problem with 2010, 2011 kashima and 2012 kashima, all 100mm mojo were very understanding and helpful. They replaced the crown upper assembly every time but it shouldnt really happen imo. As above it is most likely crown/stanchion play. Was advised it may be “due to riding style”.
    I have since moved back to rs sids and have had no problems!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

“Due to riding style”! I like that 🙄

Shouldn’t be a problem, as I don’t have any.

xcstu
    Free Member

Mmm it is a bit of a worry that a steerer should be making that kind of noise.. luckily my other bike has RS sids and they def don’t have a problem like that 🙂

singlespeedstu

i’ve had this problem with Fox and Rockshox forks.

Seems like the bonding between the stansion and the crown starts to break down.

gee
    Free Member

I’ve known of a few Fox with that problem. They had the uppers replaced under warranty.

GB

Bagstard
    Free Member

My old lyriks did it too!

xcstu
    Free Member

Wow.. had the phone call today off mojo.. forks serviced and ready to send back.. and offered to change the crown 🙂 result! excellent service must say!!

ukmgranger
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my Fox 32 Floats (2011). Took the bike (Orange Five) back to Leisure Lakes as it was within the years warranty. They sent the forks off to Mojo, and they came back with all new uppers! Including Kashima which I didn’t have before.

Took less than a week, so well chuffed with the service. I even have another years warranty on the forks now.

Entonox
    Free Member

I think I’m now going to be on my 5th set of replacement uppers for my constantly creaking Fox 36 FIT RLCs in 18 months of ownership.
    Mojo are excellent and replace them without any problems but I am a bit fed up with the hassle.

tinsy
    Free Member

Sounds like good service from Fox/mojo..

On a safety side of things, even if the steerer came loose, the forks wont just drop off the steerer as its pushed in from the bottom and has a flange so it cant go any other way… Might spin a bit though!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alarming creaking noises from Fox fork – anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.