Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alan Parker R. I. P.
  • Premier Icon gordimhor
    Subscriber

So long Alan Parker. Made a lot of films which I enjoyed. Bugsy Malone, Midnight Express, Fame, Angelheart, Mississippi Burning, Birdy, Angela’s Ashes, The Committments. Well done that man.

Don’t forget Pink Floyd’s The Wall, too. Went to a midnight screening of that in the 80s.

Yep. Hat’s off to the fella. Never quite appreciated the full spectrum of ‘types’ of films he directed till he passed. You forget how he was responsible for A LOT and very good, very different films.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Well done that man indeed. So many great films. Particular fond memories of Angelheart for me (ahem)
    RIP

Premier Icon rone
    Subscriber

Didn’t realise he’d not made a film for 17 years. Some excellent films to be remembered by. Wouldn’t mind revisiting a few.

Checked out Ridley Scott recently and he’s still going at 82.

inkster

Don’t forget the Birdseye beefburgers and Hovis adverts as well. He was really influential in changing the culture of advertising, using regional accents etc.

Remember watching a documentary about the revolution in UK advertising during the 70’s and 80’s, all the other characters were full of their own genius. When it came to Parker he just said ‘right time, right place, bit of luck really’. A really modest nand really intellegent man.

Hard to think of a film maker with a broader palmares.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Just such an incredible range of work, from Bugsy Malone to Mississippi Burning. And a lot of films I really enjoyed as well*. Hadn’t realised he’d been out the game so long

* for which I’m prepared to forgive Evita

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Great body of work – although he’d have done ok with me for just making the excellent Mississippi Burning & The Committments.

avdave2

I can’t be the only 11 x 5 year old still in love with  Tallulah

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.