• This topic has 102 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by cp.
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Airwolf T1000 29er carbon hardtail. Thoughts.
  • jon_n
    Free Member

They are also fairly XC frames, with short chainstays, so I think maybe turning them from XC whippet into trail monster is pretty unrealistic, but who know might be your perfect bike.

Fair point – my ponderings were more around fork availability rather than riding style, a quick look suggests that choice for 100mm forks is limited compared to longer travel options. I’d probably end up buying new forks for it anyway, so it likely wouldn’t be an issue…

wzzzz
    Free Member

The Manitous I have on there may get a £50 ABS+ damper upgrade if I get on with 30mm stanchions….but manitou do have some bigger and still light options and they tend to be cheaper than rockshox or fox for some reason as they are highly regarded. Likewise theres a suntour option too their higher end forks are pretty good but they are saddled with the image of their lower end forks.

I’m not running boost so might also look out for a little used SID.

dan7887
    Free Member

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck removing the lip/resin inside the seat tube?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pete68
    Free Member

Any thoughts on the ride quality of these? Are they super stiff race bike or a more forgiving all day comfort type. I’m considering one for bikepacking duties so don’t want anything too harsh

wzzzz
    Free Member

Finally got my hands on a handlebar to finish this. Lots of Aliexpress going on here.

Size Large
    Dt 350 on stans arch wheels with vittora tyres
    Manitou M30/Markhorr fork
    Meroca M4 (Clarks) 4 piston brakes 180f 160r
    Sunrace 11-51 11 spd cassette csms8
    Deore 11 mech and shifter
    Fovno Phantom crank
    KS EXA 125mm dropper and ZTTO remote without branding
    £15 carbon rail saddle that creaks and groans
    ZRace Stem
    Wake Bars painted black as my china carbon ones didn’t show up.
    Division BMX push on grips cut down
    Old XT spd pedals

11.5 Kg on my scales not bad considering the forks, dropper and 4 pot brakes.

Just needs the rear brake bleeding up. The forks have a not so nice top out so might not last long.

This is to be a gravel bike too hence the bar ends for brifter position.

Northwind

Old post but,

cp

I understand from other threads that some people are sent the import invoice/courier admin fee after delivery.

I’ve had this a couple of times and just told them to bugger off- you have no contract or obligation to the courier. The tax is your responsibility but not repaying the courier if they deal with that.

Obviously you might have moral qualms about that but I say turnabout’s fair play, they overcharge for “handling” whenever they have you over a barrel

FOG

Is Chinese carbon stuff actually getting through at the moment?
    I was going to order some Airwolf carbon forks but didn’t want to wait for many months.

wzzzz
    Free Member

@FOG yeah I’ve had stuff inside of a week from aliexpress, this frame was under a month.

mrdestructo

Dificult to buy Arwolf inside China. SPCyles carbon frames and parts are easy to get tough. One model comes in loads of colours, but restricted to 2.35″ tyres and all my stock are larger than that.

Been looking at getting the GF a hardtail. Spcycles have quite a few models with subtle different specs. I already have 27.5″ boost wheels and a 130mm boost fork., or standard 29″ wheels and a 100/120mm 29″ fork.

The 30.8mm seatpost on some of them is worrying. Can’t get a dropper post for that, surely? If you want a light bike, you can get a carbon seatpost, but it won’t want to go up and down easily. I want to build her something that’ll encourage her to ride offroad.

They also do a full-suss modern enduro frame (no shock) for £682, and including custom painting (see above colors?) for £718.

qwerty
    Free Member

Is Chinese carbon stuff actually getting through at the moment?

My Carbonda FM936 frame took 12 days from ordering to arriving at my door.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Ridden my airwolf a few times now in the slop and I like it.

Maybe I just enjoy the change from a 150mm Bird, not really got any frame of reference for XC bikes.

The 30mm Manitous were OK but a little flexy and sharp top out, good for the money though.

I picked up a barely used 29er 32mm dual air motion control dna SID world cup fork and its much much better, thats to be expected.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Dragging this thread up again. I’ve ordered one of these at a solid £195 and it had so say shipped on the slow boat. I’m in no rush, so was happy with the ‘free shipping’ method.

However, the Airwolf store got in contact today trying to convince me to pay an extra $130 for DPD shipping to get ‘no taxe’s, no customs problem’ and faster shipping.

Aside from the fact that it shows in AliExpress that it has already shipped – anyone else had similar experience?

wzzzz
    Free Member

Yeah they asked me to do the same. I think they use a prepay scheme with the carrier and prefer you to do that as its less hassle for them when customs send them back or sting people for a big unexpected bill.

I just told them I was happy to deal with customs and pay any taxes.

In the end none were applied and it turned up really quickly.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Thanks wzzzz – its a little bit of an experiment and will be a parts mule, so I’m absolutely in no rush or want to pay half its value in shipping – so fingers crossed I have the same experience as you 🙂

branes

I paid the lot on mine – import duty, VAT and handling, customs seem to have upped their game towards the end of the year I think. Should be about £60 for yours so worth waiting to see.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Quick BTT for this and any of you who have these – the BB is PF30 right, so what do I do with the BB they supply if I have a DUB? Do I just need to buy a BB-DUB-PF30-A1?

BTW, I lucked out and didn’t pay any extra duty or customs – so all in, less than £200 for me 🙂

simon_g

Yep, just get the DUB bottom bracket for 73mm PF30. I binned the one it came with.

mrdestructo

@wzzzz those forks shouldn’t top out. I have the M30 bought locally in China and ridden on roads and light XC. You might want to strip them and check there’s actually oil inside them.

As to twist, check the QR spring and clamping is correct. I once put one QR spring in back to front and the fork was twisting all over the place. Reversed it and it became fairly fine (2000 era fork fine)

Also, if you want to be crazy and extend to 120mm travel, when stripped just remove the bright red plastic spacer. Remember which parts go back on when though. Photos during strip-down will help. It’s easy to reassemble putting parts on the wrong side of the spring system and then gave them jam in the air spring tube (been there, done that).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I built one up for a mate about a year or so ago, but it’s cracked already on the seattube, in between the seatstay and toptube. This is a recognised problem with dropped seatstays, as it places more/different loads on that section. The other issue was that you couldn’t fit a long seatpost to mitigate the problem as there was an aluminium insert inside the frame which limited how far it could go down. All in, as I see it, it’s a cheap frame, with so-so finishing, and as long as you don’t expect too much, it could be okay for you.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Ouch doesn’t sound good. Some one on chiner town has cracked his on the top of the seattube top tube junction and then went on to snap the chainstay at cable port.

Not the best.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Apart from the cracking near seat tube, are people generally happy with the airwolf brand or not ?? .. asking as im looking at their carbon gravel frames ?
    Guessing maybe not ? .. but spose it depends on how many have cracked and how many they have sold ?

eduardorocha

Hi. Can you please share the link for the frames?
    All I can find are Airwolf components…

cp

Search eBay for airwolf frame

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts