Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Airshotz finishing taking pics at BPW
  • PrinceJohn

Saw on their Facebook feed over the weekend that they will no longer be taking shots after the 31st March…

Sad times – was always fun hunting down pictures of myself & ridding buddies to see who had the silliest face…

stevied
    Free Member

Is it because of the reduced hours?

jam-bo

Sad times – was always fun hunting down pictures of myself & ridding buddies to see who had the silliest face…

did you ever buy any?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dabaldie
    Free Member

He probably did. But they might not have been of him. 🙂
    That sounds a bit stalkerish but its an “in” joke.

PrinceJohn

He probably did. But they might not have been of him.

It’s only at races that happened – I have a 100% success rate of purchasing the correct picture from Airshotz thank you very much.

dc1988

Is there much money in it? Once you’ve been to BPW a few times, having a picture of yourself looking decidedly amateur loses its appeal.

russyh
    Free Member

I have ridden BPW more times than I care to count but never managed to get a photo taken. I read it as BPW had made the decision, seems a shame but maybe a new contractor?

lardman
    Free Member

Well, thats a shame for AIrshotz.

ON the upside however, I wanted to go and take some pictures of a friend riding a while back, with some off-camera flashes etc to improve my snapping: and BPW said I couldn’t, as Airshotz had the monopoly.

Next time i’ll be taking my camera backpack then.

oikeith

I agree thats a shame, but I’ve been a couple of times this winter and found them always set up on the worst parts of the trails. Last time I went they were set up on one of the rollers on the trail to the uplift from the cafe which had no lip, where as the one infront of it had a nice lip and could be boosted. Later that day they moved to IF and were set up on the smallest and slowest speed drop. Would have quite happily paid for pictures but they were never great.

bombjack
    Free Member

I actually purchased one after riding on Saturday as it looked like I knew what I was doing. Shame that they are packing it in, but if they are a jobbing photographer then they’ll probably have weddings and events lined up over the coming weekends that’ll make more money. At £5 per pic I reckon its pretty decent value compared to some of the charged you get from big events (finisherpix I’m looking at you here…)

JackHammer

Might have something to do with the collaboration with GoPro? SPECULATION!

PrinceJohn

Time for an update on this as we were up there this weekend.

As expected BPW are now taking their own photos, as expected they’re awful.

https://www.bikeparkwales.com/photos

No remote flash so the riders look dark. Such a shame, can understand why they want to have it as a revenue stream. Shame they couldn’t employ someone who knew what they were doing.

cookeaa

ON the upside however, I wanted to go and take some pictures of a friend riding a while back, with some off-camera flashes etc to improve my snapping: and BPW said I couldn’t, as Airshotz had the monopoly.

Can anyone have a “monopoly” on taking photos? BPW is in Gethin Country park isn’t it? so isn’t that FC (wales) managed land? Anyone can take a camera and snap away surely?

antares
    Free Member

£8.50 each as well!! Weren’t Airshotz about a fiver?

lardman
    Free Member

I was going to take some shots of my friends riding using remote flashes etc: and although i’ve done this before and was going to use signs warning of flashes and so on…. BPW were of the opinion that they wouldn’t permit that.

I think the comment about enforcement of photo taking would be tenuous at best, i didn’t want to haul all my gear up onto the hill to have an over enthusiastic employee getting all hot-under-the-collar with me, so i just decided not to do it.

SirHC

As expected BPW are now taking their own photos, as expected they’re awful.

https://www.bikeparkwales.com/photos

No remote flash so the riders look dark. Such a shame, can understand why they want to have it as a revenue stream. Shame they couldn’t employ someone who knew what they were doing.

Did they smear vaseline over the lens?

kayak23

Agree, pretty poor images.

I always thought having photographers was dangerous anyway, as I always felt the need to send it and go for maximum steeze* when I saw one. 😂

*this is a subjective term…

DezB
    Free Member

Did they smear vaseline over the lens?

I think you’ll find that’s a watermark.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

Yer I find it odd that the BPW tog seems to setup with the sun behind the subject like that. Although to be fair they are much more pleasing on the eye as there’s a lot more bike in the photo.

I always felt I had to colour correct the photos I got from Airshotz before I used them, but I guess they were just mass editing to save time.

Still nowhere near as the guy who was doing photos at Black Mountains last time I was there, best riding shots I’ve had taken were by that guy!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Airshotz finishing taking pics at BPW’ is closed to new replies.