Airshot or something similar

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Airshot or something similar
  • edward2000

Im after a tubeless tyre seating pumpy thing and I was wondering if anyone could recommend one to purchase? Id like this pump to have a pressure gauge also because I would also like to be able to inflate the tyre to riding pressure as well as seat it. Are they all a much of a muchness? A pump is a pump isn’t it right? Any advice would be ace.

dc1988

There’s one on CRC for £35 at the moment, I forget the brand but I have one and it does the job.

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

Lifeline Airblast . ^^^^^^

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

Lifeline Airblast, or PX Barbieri is not as good as it seems.

Yes, you can pressurize it to 200PSI, but tank is very small and burst of air is rather short.

It is OK, for small volume tyres – 40c or so – but anything bigger is a bit of a problem.

No such issues with Topeak Booster.

I don’t know what’s your budget, but I would go with biggest possible tank you can afford.

Cheers!
    I.

Premier Icon vicksplace
    Subscriber

We’ve not yet failed to seat a tyre with my lifeline, even my 2.6 butchers. Can 100% recommend.

Premier Icon vicksplace
    Subscriber

And yes you can use it to pump the tyre up afterwards. There’s a switch to either fill the tank or pump into the tyre

airvent

I have an airshot and it’s been brilliant, and really well made. The only problem I see is that everyone always asks to borrow it.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I use an airshot with a Lezyne track pump. Faultless does far.

I had a lifeline airwave (I assume the previous version of the airblast) and it did ok for about 18months them something blew inside it and CRC just refunded me in vouchers. It sometimes needed two blasts to seat a tyre – the airshot is better.

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

I’m in the same boat. I have a Topeak track pump so I’m looking at an Airshot or the Giant version. My nervousness is that track pumps aren’t really designed to pump to 160psi, despite what the gauge says.

A proper combined pump/tank will be designed to work as the necessary pressures but is much more expensive.

I looked at the CRC pump but was put off by forum reports of unreliability and the tank being too small for >2.4 tyres

Premier Icon craig5
    Subscriber

I use an airshot mated to a topeak joe blow. I can just about charge it to 160psi, seats 29er 2.4 marys no problem. I wouldnt be without it

Premier Icon snotrag
    Subscriber

Looking at the price of the airshot, I highly reccomend skipping that and just getting yourself a compact workshop compressor.

No, you wont be running a 1/2″ rattle gun off one, but they are very, very useful – seating tyres, general inflation (bike, cars), a blow gun for drying off or cleaning dust etc.

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

Ironically I was just looking at the Aldi compressor! Unless you need a portable tubeless inflator (and I suspect very few riders do) it probably does make more sense to buy a compressor.

Main downside is space

Premier Icon transporter13
    Subscriber

Also use an air shot with a Joe blow with no issues.. In fact.. I have taped the airshot to the Joeblow as I was forever getting annoyed with it falling over… Just leave the Joe blow attatched and you can use its air gauge?

Premier Icon jamesoz
    Subscriber

I have a compressor and a home made airshot type thing (fire extinguisher).
    I tend to use the fire extinguisher because of the noise the compressor makes.
    It’s ok if outside the garage with the door shut but too loud inside and a bit antisocial if it’s late.

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

Couple of buddies and local shop have this tubeless thingy,

https://www.merlincycles.com/beto-cja-001s-tubeless-air-tank-inflator-98943.html

Good bit of kit. Similar to the airshot but with a base (base base base base!).

stevemuzzy

I use a joe blow and airshot, biggest problem is the airshot screws on and off, so sometimes takes the screw out the valve with it if I cant be bothered removing the valve in the first place….also taped it to my pump as it just keeps falling over!

josslad

I used an Airshot for a long time and it worked pretty well. Eventually I opted for a modest compressor as re-pressurising the Airshot after failed attempts at seating tyres became rather tedious. I still have the Airshot though and it comes in handy on road trips.
    Also, running large volume 29er tyres asks quite a lot of the Airshot.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Hmm, was set on getting a Joe blow booster in the next few weeks but you’ve got me looking at compressors now 🤔

It would be very handy for drying off the bikes after washing… Just the noise that puts me off a little.

Premier Icon ajaj
    Subscriber

“Unless you need a portable tubeless inflator (and I suspect very few riders do) ”

We do. For, well, any ride where you may get a flat and the tyre come off the rim but especially for holidays in the Alps.

Premier Icon tall_martin
    Subscriber

I’m sure I bought a compressor from aldi or Lidl for a similar price to that.

Works fine. As above it is very loud. No so good for late night faffage. I use CO2 canisters if i’m out and about.

Flying makes the CO2 significantly more expensive.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Can you leave an air compressor pressurized for long periods or does it need to be emptied if not being used for a week or 2? If you had to re fill every time the noise would get annoying (espcially if it was a 50l one) but if it just needs to top up for 30 seconds once it looses some pressure it would be fine.

Premier Icon jamesoz
    Subscriber

You should really leave it empty and drain any moisture out of the tank. I tend to empty the last bit of air using the valve on the bottom. I do sometimes pre fill my extinguisher though. Can be handy.

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

I’m still using a DIY version made from a garden sprayer. Easy to make, huge capacity, so only needs pumping to 50-60psi, and works every time, even on 4.8 fatbike tyres.

stumpy_m4

Cheezpleez

Subscriber
    I’m still using a DIY version made from a garden sprayer. Easy to make, huge capacity, so only needs pumping to 50-60psi, and works every time, even on 4.8 fatbike tyres.

any chance of some pics etc or details .. wouldnt mind having ago at one …. what garden sprayer did you start with ? … cheers in advance

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.