Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Airport Express and BT Homehub – AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!
  • organic355
    Free Member

Anyone tried to set this up? I have tried about 10 times and when the airport express goes to restart, it just doesnt. Its driving me nuts.

Lots of internet forums on the subject but still not managed to solve, there must be 100's of people who have a BT homehub, apple set up and wish to play their music over airtunes?

Megatron

I had 'fun' setting mine up. Not with a BT homehub, but with a netgear summatorother.

First you need to set it up with the Airport express connected to your homehub with an ethernet cable.
    wipe all the settings you've tried to use before.
    Go through setting it up to join an existing network (wired) then once that is working, go back to change the settings to wireless connection.
    You'll need to put a # in front of your wireless password to get it to work (no I don't know why!)

bigyinn
    Free Member

IIRC the wireless encryption on the home hub needs to be set to WPA-PSK rather than WEP. MACs seem to have problems with WEP encryption.
    Dunno if that will help?

sc-xc

Blimey. I just googled this very problem – and a link to STW came up! Anyone else able to help with this exact problem? can the homehub be configured to to WPA? (whatever that means…)

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve got a homehub and airport express and had no problems setting it up. How are you trying to set it up? Through airport utility or via the hub?

Yes you can configure it to WPA – you do it via the hub setup which can be accessed by typing this: 192.168.1.254 into safari.

sc-xc

I have an old v1 hub – it seems it’s not configurable. They are going to look into sending me a new version…so I’ll wait for that..

Ta

CountZero

I had no end of problems with a V1 Homehub dropping it’s connection, and spent ages on the phone talking to nice Mac geeks in India, I even got the Hub replaced with the V2 for free and still had issues, until, after one long session with a BT Mac expert I was tapping in the code off of the hub and reading out the number as I did, when the bloke said, ‘wait, did you put a dollar sign in front of the number?’ and I said no. It seems you had to, but nowhere in BT’s literature did it get mentioned. Now you just use the serial number, and I’ve not had any issues since.

glenh
    Free Member

WEP encryption is pretty useless anyway. Everyone should use WPA.

sc-xc

CZ – is that on the v2? I will bite the bullet and buy a new hub (they want £46 for a v3 – can’t complain as I get free broadband etc because of a tenuous work connection with BT). All I want to do is listen to music in the kitchen!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Have you tried just setting up a separate network for AirTunes?

huggis
    Free Member

Anyone fixed this? I’m reasonably IT literate and can’t get it too work for more than about 30 mins.

sc-xc

No – I now have the new hub, and can only get it working for a short while.

I have to reset the airport, then rescan using the utility to try and pick it up again. I mean to get round to calling applecare but haven’t had the time. Will call tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

CountZero

Just noticed this had popped up again. My Homehub’s the v2, and either it or BT Broadband can be pretty flakey. My Mac, when I boot it up, requires that I now click Connect to join the WiFi every time, whereas previously it connected seamlessly, and for a couple of weeks it just kept dropping the connection with my iPhone, for no apparent reason, which meant I used up my entire monthly data allowance from O2 in a week, ‘cos it would drop out right in the middle of downloading stuff, so I’d go into settings and the homehub had vanished, although a BT Fon site and a couple of neighbours routers were listed. Then it would just appear again. Now it’s working ok, without me doing anything. I tried a netgear router a while back and couldn’t get it to work with the BT broadband, and BT’s helpline refused to help. I’ll see if I can get one of the new v3 hubs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Airport Express and BT Homehub – AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!’ is closed to new replies.