• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Airlines long haul – recommend or not…
  • vondally
    Free Member

SOover the decades we have done some reasonable long haul flights USA, Nepal, Japan, South Korea and planning to fly into Malaysia/Singapore so who do recommend economy (cattle class sorry Capt Flashie)?

I ask has my partner had a pulmonary embolism last year (still flew to Hong KOng) and looking for a good airline and ones to avoid.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve flown with Emirates many times and they have always been superb and not as expensive as you might imagine.

sofaman

Singapore Airlines direct.

But if you are happy splitting one long sector into two medium length, then +1 for Emirates. Qatar is also an option.

(Personally, I prefer a long sector to allow half a chance at sleeping for a reasonable length).

This list always seems accurate compared with anecdotal views: https://www.worldairlineawards.com

tuboflard

+1 for Qatar, I’ve used them a few times now for trips to Bali and they’ve been great every time.

somouk
    Free Member

I recently flew to India on Emirates and it was fantastic. I did go for the extra leg room seats and they were a worthwhile upgrade.

I flew to Australia with Singapore and they were also great, the food was better on singapore than emirates.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My Sister (Australia) raves about Emirates. altho I think she gets auto upgrades to Business class these days for being such a fanboi.

hols2
    Free Member

Never flown Emirates, but Singapore Airlines have always been excellent for me.

-m-
    Free Member

Flights on an A380 / A350 / 787 should be less stressful on the body due to the cabin atmosphere being a better ‘quality’ than – say – a 777 (or a 747/A330/A340 if anyone is still flying them on those routes).

Seat width may be a bit more cramped on some aircraft (the 787-8 has a particular reputation for this) due to the cabin being slightly narrower.

I’m not generally a fan of stopovers in the middle east, but there’s some merit in doing it on what would otherwise be a ~14 hr flight in economy. For me Doha airport (Qatar Airways) is less hateful than Dubai (Emirates).

mlbaker
    Free Member

Just used Emirates to fly Manchester to Melbourne for work. Service was good, Dubai airport was ok and the A380 was really good

chewkw
    Free Member

I fly Emirates only now from the North East England. The planes are 777 & A380.

Emirates are all good as far as I am concerned. Good price and services but most importantly for me is to stock up duty free tobacco at Dubai ….

I used to fly Royal Brunei and M’sia Airline but to fly with them I would have to fly to Heathrow … a dump.

vondally
    Free Member

Talking a while ago now, well 15 years plus but Doha was interesting aka not quite complete. Improved then?

mulacs

+1 for getting on board an A380. Superb aircraft. Singapore are also another recommendation – flew to NZ with them 4 years ago. Last Xmas we returned flying with Thai air and they were brilliant considering how much it cost (~700 return each), don’t write them off. Boeing aircraft all the way and, yeah bits of trim falling off a brand new aircraft was to be expected… 😀 a380 all the way next time…

chewkw
    Free Member

A380 is simply a brilliant aircraft … 😀

convert

I appreciate not particularly helpful but struggling to personally justify long haul flights for fun now environmentally. So much to see and do without them and you get to not suffer DVT as an added bonus.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Personally i’d Go with one of the Middle Eastern carriers and split the flight into two. Will be cheaper also. Emirates, Qatar, Etihad all of a muchness really, all in direct competition so of a similar standard. If you fly from Manchester with Qatar you’l get A350 which is far superior to fly on that 777 and 787. Though emirates does a380 from Manchester and Birmingham which is even better.

Similarly if you go direct with Singapore airlines from Manchester you get a350.

scuttler

Emirates operates A380s from seven UK airports now and they’re so comfy it’d be worth booking on them for that reason alone. Of course if you live in SE England take your pic but for the rest of us Emirates FTW. Etihad and Singapore also from Manchester and possibly other airports and obvs with Singapore its direct if you’re OK with 14 hrs rather than 8+8 with Middle East stop.

-m-
    Free Member

Talking a while ago now, well 15 years plus but Doha was interesting aka not quite complete. Improved then?

They opened a new, money-no-object airport a few years back. Money-no-object except for the roof – which leaked the first time it rained 🙂

Qatar Airways want to compete with Emirates but they’re nowhere near the scale or number of connections to/from key destinations. However, this does mean Doha airport is somewhat smaller and more pleasant than DXB. If you’re there in the middle of the afternoon it’s like a ghost town; in the middle of the night it’s manic.

For ~£35 you can use the gym (well equipped) and swimming pool (25m) at the transit hotel. It’s seldom very busy and probably the most pleasant place in the airport. It’s certainly a better place to kill a few hours than any of the lounges.

dmck16
    Free Member

We have just flown from Manchester to JFK with Thomas Cook Airlines. Price wise it was by far the best deal available.

However, despite the aircraft being a nice modern Airbus with OK legroom, the seats are terribly uncomfortable. They don’t recline, seat cushioning is thin/flat, and the food was pretty poor.

Not a patch on Emirates in my opinion.
    You get what you pay for I suppose.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d Recommend

Emirates
    Korean Airlines

I’d rather walk than fly long haul with these two again

Aeroflot
    Avianca.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Airlines long haul – recommend or not…’ is closed to new replies.