Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Airline baggage rules for bikes. KLM/BA/Air France which is best?
  • eazyd74
    Free Member

I have the option to fly via one of these airlines, with a connection unfortunately.
    None of them seem as nice as easyjet with 32kgs, and in my previous experience I have often been up against it with a 15kg all mountain bike and a 8kgs evoc bag.
    Despite the T&C’s do you good folk of stw know if any of these airlines are more relaxed with their rules..

KLM Appears to be 23kg for bike 55E each way, but is that 55E per sector? I have two sectors. Plus 23kg luggage and 12kg hand lagguage , and accessory. I might get a handbag. Plus you have to pay at the airport.

BA Also implies 23kg I don’t think you can book in advance though, cannot seem to find how much. Checked baggage =23kg and Hand baggage =23kg!!!! Plus accessory.

Air France Seems to be 23kg @£125 each way? + 23kg @£14 each way and 12kg hand luggage + accessory. Book in advance..

Arse I want to fly easyjet..

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve never booked in advance for AF or KLM.

atlaz
    Free Member

I flew long-haul with BA with my road bike + evoc bag, no problems. Getting everything including my off-bike gear under the weight wasn’t necessarily easy as I was travelling for work but hand luggage can suck up a lot of that extra stuff if you plan right.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I’ve flown BA several times with the EVOC and came in a shy under 23Kgs but I don’t tend to put my gear in the bag

I think BA will be the best though from the 3 options you have… where are you flying to?

konagirl
    Free Member

No experience on AF/KLM but I know BA are reasonably strict with your ticketed allowance. Overweight bag more than 23kg (up to 32g) is £65 each way, at the airport, see link. An additional 23kg bag in economy in Europe is £60 each way, so it can be cheaper to buy a business class BA ticket which includes 2 x checked 32kg bags. Good points about BA is they don’t require a reservation and they allow bikes in a simple bag like the CRC one.

+1 to using the hand luggage allowance.

eazyd74
    Free Member

Aberdeen-Nice

Either:

KLM via schipol
    BA via HTW
    AF via Paris CDG

gee
    Free Member

Recently I’ve found when going with a friend that if one of you flies BA Club Europe it works out cheaper and a lot easier than cramming it all into one hold bag (you get 2 x 23kg bags). We then split the difference on the “extra” bag. Depends on pricing – sometimes it’s only £30 more each way. If you book it one way you get double baggage both ways.

GB

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

+1 to the club class on BA if you can swing it…even if you fly one way you get the higher baggage allowance

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Airline baggage rules for bikes. KLM/BA/Air France which is best?’ is closed to new replies.