• This topic has 35 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • airdrop edit
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m liking the sound of these bikes. They get rave reviews and follow the nu skool geometry of low and slack.

I’ve had a spesh pitch for a few years now (and a slackline) with offset bushes and 140 revs but hankering after a new bike.

I would absolutely love a SC hightower after borrowing my mates for an afternoon at afan but money can’t stretch to that unfortunately

So if you knew a 29er airdrop edit was in the pipeline* would you wait?

* I’m not saying it is but have seen various comments on their facebook page about developing new ideas

joebristol

I’ve had a go on an airdrop edit 650b and it was pretty good. Swallowed huge rocks going downhill and was ok uphill.

I bought a Bird Aeris instead as it suited my riding a bit more (pedalled better / felt a bit more lively in general). Also has slack geo and is long / low etc.

Bird now have a 29er developed and on their website – I’m not sure when the first deliveries are but that’s probably worth a look.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’ve had a spesh pitch

I imagine if you liked the Pitch, The Airdrop is more of the same albeit with up to date geo/components.

If you’re on FB, there is a useful owners group on there to give good advice.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I imagine if you liked the Pitch,

I did until i rode the hightower.. Now that is a total weapon. Felt more in the bike than the pitch. Also weirdly fitted a Large with the hightower

patriotpro
    Free Member

Tricky – Send Ed an email at Airdrop, from the email exchanges i had with him when i was shopping for a new bike, earlier this year, he is sorted and happily answered my questions.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

So if you knew a 29er airdrop edit was in the pipeline* would you wait?

Honestly? It would depend if I wanted a 29er Airdrop Edit.

I can’t help thinking that 29er wheels are like everything else; there is a real place for them but they are also very fashionable at the moment. You need to try and look beyond the crap and decide whether you’ll be better on 29ers or 650bs.

I run a 29er SS, a 29/650b+ hardtail and a Bird Aeris. I’m 6ft. No doubt the bigger wheels roll over things better and carry more speed and modern handling is a lot better than it used to be.

Here in the sunny south with our rolling woodland trails, my 6ft frame on a 29er make a whole load of sense. However if I lived in Chamonix and regularly rode steep trails that involved a lot of braking, accelerating and sharp changes in direction, I’d want smaller wheels.

nickc

They are very capable bikes fo’shure. When I first rode mine it was pretty much the same feeling I got from riding the first gen spesh enduros. Just felt you could ride anything at any speed. If your anywhere near Hebden feel free to pop in and have a go

trickydisco
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking that 29er wheels are like everything else; there is a real place for them but they are also very fashionable at the moment. You need to try and look beyond the crap and decide whether you’ll be better on 29ers or 650bs.

I’ve ridden a few 29 hardtails and a few 650b fulls suss and now the hightower in 29 mode and it completely blew me away in terms of handling. I know there are so many factors to consider when choosing a bike and it’s not necessarily the wheel size that is the deciding factor (apart from not choosing 26 and 1 1/18 forks)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I know there are so many factors to consider when choosing a bike and it’s not necessarily the wheel size that is the deciding factor (apart from not choosing 26 and 1 1/18 forks)

It’s undoubtedly a lot less in it than there used to be. 29er for most British riding also make a huge amount of sense (unless you’re 5ft…) However, different wheels do have different characteristics which are one thing to bear in mind. Physics dictates a smaller wheel with accelerate and decelerate faster, and turn from its path of travel easier. Obviously these can be both desirable and undesirable, depending on what you want!

Handling has come on amazingly though (thanks Chris Porter) with 29er wheels. I changed the fork rake on my 29er hardtail a few weeks back. All I can say is that I’m keen to try a 37mm option if one ever becomes commercially available.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m fairly convinced that the next airdrop will be a hardtail. There was a teaser shot of a shadow a while back. Loved the Edits I took out, cracking bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

You might want to look at the YT Jeffsy, OP.

Pretty similar geometry to the Hightower, though neither bike is particularly low or slack.

oldtalent
    Free Member

The hightower I demo’ed also blew me away. Then I rode a top end bronson which was on another level.
    I then expected going back to my airdrop to be a disappointment, it wasn’t. It just smashed its way though obstacles where as the SC bikes felt light & nimble, this just bulldozered. Both excellent fun in their own way.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Earlier in the year, I test rode the Bronson, nomad and edit in the Peak. For me and my riding, the airdrop was a clear winner.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Earlier in the year, I test rode the Bronson, nomad and edit in the Peak. For me and my riding, the airdrop was a clear winner.

interesting. What height are you and what size are you riding?

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m fairly convinced an edit should be my next bike, think it will be a good step from my kona process, still charge on the downs but maybe pedal a touch better.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m 5’10”, wife is 5’9″. We both settled on the medium. I tried the large but medium was a better fit. The Edit felt a lot more active. It didn’t climb the smooth stuff as well as the Santa Cruzs, however, as soon as it got rough, the Edit was the clear winner both up and down. It always felt like both Santa Cruz wanted to extend when met with bumps and steps rather than conform to them like the AirDrop.

rob8624
    Free Member

Had my Edit v2 a few months now. Amazing bike, best bike I’ve owned.

d3carbon
    Free Member

I looked into the weight of these and couldn’t find it. It arouses suspicion that if the weight is missing from the spec sheet, then it probably weighs a tonne. So when I did some digging I found this little piece which appears to justify the heavy weight.

“Weight Matters”

Nestled away at the bottom of the article is the frame weight: 7.5lbs (3.4kg) 😯

Phil_H

3.4kg isn’t bad for an aluminium full suspension frame at that price.

d3carbon
    Free Member

Phil_H – Member
    3.4kg isn’t bad for an aluminium full suspension frame at that price.

So why not list it on the spec. sheet?

Typical bike weight 34lbs

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve never looked at these, good deals on frame.fork and shock!

marksnook
    Free Member

Current bike weighs in the region of 34lb, beaten people on sub 30lb carbon bikes up hills, equally been slower other times, think weight is less important than efficiency. Weight certainly isn’t a factor that puts me off, eat less pies!

mudmonster
    Free Member

My current main bike (a hardtail) weighs just over 26lbs, think I would notice 8lbs. Maybe 150mm of cushioning would compensate.

Was looking at Bird Aeris’, couldn’t find frame weights for the 120 or 145 either. They could put it on the technical data sheet, the zero tr’s weight is on it.

Kamakazie

Pretty sure you could easily get something closer to a 30lb build as my Bandit frame is only 1 lb lighter and builds up to 30lb without much thought.
    Heavier than that now though due to component changes and all the better for it despite the weight disadvantage.

jamesfts
    Free Member

No idea what mine weighs, not something I’ve ever thought/worried about, doesn’t feel a slouch but its built to be fast on the downs.

I’d worry more about wheels/tyres than frame weight, in the grand scheme of things that is where you’ll notice it.

I’ve a set of old Crossmax Enduros with super gravity Magic Marys in vert/trail star for silly stuff then another set of LB carbon wheels with some lighter Minion/Minion SS on for longer riders/racing that I can pinch off my hardtail.

Switching between these makes a hell of a difference to the bike, I dare say I’d not even notice an lb on the frame.

chiefgrooveguru

Was looking at Bird Aeris’, couldn’t find frame weights for the 120 or 145 either. They could put it on the technical data sheet, the zero tr’s weight is on it.

The Bird hardtails, being alloy, are a fair bit lighter than their mostly steel competition. The Aerii are longer reach and wheelbase than most, have lots of bearings, big Metric shocks and very long warranties, all of which are likely to add weight. And a higher frame weight could distract from how good they are.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I do wonder if making the frame weights more visible would affect sales and that is why companies are often less than transparent?!

I actually meant to put this on my frame weight thread, but nevermind.

rob8624
    Free Member

I went from a Heckler to an Edit (with Lyriks, coil, XT build) and it did feel heavier and took a tad more effort when climbing. But, saying that, after a couples of rides I got used to it, and the weight feels kind of right for the bike, it’s nice and balanced. I don’t have a problem riding it all day.

benpinnick

The Bird hardtails, being alloy, are a fair bit lighter than their mostly steel competition. The Aerii are longer reach and wheelbase than most, have lots of bearings, big Metric shocks and very long warranties, all of which are likely to add weight. And a higher frame weight could distract from how good they are.

Its more usually the case we’re doing the tech data sheets ahead of launch and havent had a chance to weigh a few production ones to get the weight, and then forget to update the sheet for you know.. a year or so 😉

FYI incase anyone is interested its 3.02Kg for an ML 145 ‘bare’. The lightest shock we do is 344g, and its all uphill from there.

mark90
    Free Member

The lightest shock we do is 344g

Is that with or without air? 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is that with or without air?

And if so, what pressure? 😉

thedude
    Free Member

The Pole evolink 140 frame is 4.2kg it says on their website. 3.4kg is nothing. XL steel hardtails are over 3kg often. I welcome strong bikes that take a beating and last for years. It’s the wheels where you feel the weight.

nickc

It arouses suspicion that if the weight is missing from the spec sheet, then it probably weighs a tonne

Or alternatively it doesn’t matter. I thought the days of worrying about this sort of crap had long gone.

d3carbon
    Free Member

Or alternatively it doesn’t matter. I thought the days of worrying about this sort of crap had long gone.

I have ridden a Kona Process 153 that is not lightweight by any means, however it was a very nice ride. So i somewhat agree with your statement.

However, Imagine i walked into a showroom looking to buy a Porsche and I seen one that caught my eye. There is a sign in the front window with all the specification details but no mention of BHP. So i ask the salesman what the BHP is and he responds with “Ah but it doesn’t matter what the BHP is, cos it’s very nice to drive”

IMO the specification should state everything. If a bike frame is 3.4kg, then tell me it’s 3.4kg.

joebristol

The Bird and the Airdrop weights are probably much of a muchness. When you take into account whole bike weights these days they’re a fairly small proportion of the overall weight. All the extra wide rims and huge tyres probably make a big part of the feel of the bike – as to whether it feels like it accelerates quickly or not etc.

nickc

then tell me it’s 3.4kg

Aye, seems reasonable.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘airdrop edit’ is closed to new replies.