Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Airbnb wants me to upload my actual Government photo id to make a booking…
  • Max…
    Free Member

…which means it will probably be off their servers and in the hands of a Russian or Chinese state aided hacker within a few years.

Is there anyway to get around this on Airbnb – I am new to booking with them?

b230ftw
    Free Member

What happens if you don’t have one?

nickc

I’ve just booked an Air BNB, I didn’t have to do that?!

squirrelking
    Free Member

As I recall it’s a stipulation of the hosts whether folk are ID checked or not. I think we gave in after it became clear it was going to make life more difficult not to. As I understand it they cannot hold the data beyond the time needed to confirm your identity and then it must be disposed of, after that it’s just a record that ID has been confirme. That was certainly the case when I had to supply ID for an age restricted mail order the other day.

db

age restricted mail order

Interesting… say no more 😉

Max…
    Free Member

And a selfie too it seems FFS!

Just a reminder, you’ll need to add an ID by Jun 11, 12:23 PM BST to confirm your booking in xxxxx. This will help us check that you’re really you.

We match your selfie photo to the ID you gave us, to check that you’re really you. We use the selfie to verify your identity—it will not be posted to your profile or shared with hosts.

Once that verification is done, you’ll be all set to finish your reservation. If it is not done, the booking will have to be canceled.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1237/verifying-your-identity?c=.pi80.pkaWRlbnRpdHkvaWRlbnRpdHlfdmVyaWZpY2F0aW9uX3JlbWluZGVy&euid=47a7c6e1-6dcd-54cb-2b11-65e34370b0b7&_set_bev_on_new_domain=1623397430_MDM2ODA2MmQ0Yzk4

hels
    Free Member

Wow – did you ask to see the privacy notice and data protection impact assessment on that one?

nbt

I’d be looking for another place and lettnig them know why

Drac

Bollocks to that.

pondo

I’d be looking for another place and lettnig them know why

This.

robola

I think this is a hangover from when Airbnb was actually about staying in people’s spare rooms etc. Makes sense to have some kind of ID check for a random stranger under your own roof.

We switched off all such requirements on our holiday let. It simply doesn’t fit with this style of rental.

I also realise that some customers are put off by the whole Airbnb style of things, so the place is available elsewhere too. Worth checking if you can find the same place to rent through a different booking platform.

johndoh
    Free Member

Wow – did you ask to see the privacy notice and data protection impact assessment on that one?

Do they have a similar privacy notice and data protection impact assessment for the spycams hidden in approximately 97% of all AirBnB bathrooms and bedrooms?

DezB
    Free Member

my actual Government photo id

Do people have these?

[edit]Ah, just looked at the link Max posted – “This could be a driver’s licence, passport, identity card, or visa.”

apedoctor
    Free Member

Is it such a big deal? Why does it matter if AirBnb have a picture of you? It’s not like faces are secret. You have to do it every time you get on a plane. Or every time you went to a nightclub (granted I’ve not been to one for YEARS, but they used to scan your ID as you went in). Every time you go in the co op they’re recording your face and storing it. Even The Eden Project take a picture of you as you go in. Hotels sometimes take a photo to.

Curious to know the genuine concern here? If the russians get hold of your face are you worried about some sort of elaborate Face/Off issue where you get replaced by a sleeper agent?

matt_outandabout

I’ve decided that I’m not using Airbnb in future.

We’ve had hassles galore, much more than via other sites, issues such as this ID check. Generally it’s not great.

hels
    Free Member

The risk to the individual (and organisation) of unauthorised processing of a government ID is a lot higher than an unattributed grainy CCTV pic of you getting messages at the co-op. IME with looking at CCTV the poor quality of the footage is a top of the range anonymisation technique anyway.

lamp
    Free Member

@matt_outandabout – do you have any other sites that you can suggest. I’ve had similar experiences with Airbnb too.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Cos of all the kids booking a 4 bed semi with garden and inviting 500 friends for a party. Stops people doing this with burner accounts.

And

It’s a government requirement in many countries and they are a global co.

You show you pp when checking into most hotels overseas.

Don’t see any big issue here. Many co’s are doing shady things with data that goes totally unnoticed.

Fine as host and user for this one.

grantyboy
    Free Member

kids having an “empty” for post covid down lockdown. I’d be doing the same as going to be lots of raves, parties, blowing steam off etc this summer.
    I don’t see it as sinister just the host looking to protect their properties from getting trashed

Drac

granted I’ve not been to one for YEARS, but they used to scan your ID as you went in

Did they? I’ve never had to do that.

True but I’ve never had to do that when staying in the UK.

Curious to know the genuine concern here? If the russians get hold of your face are you worried about some sort of elaborate Face/Off issue where you get replaced by a sleeper agent?

It’s not about the face. It’s about showing sending off my driving licence or my passport when it’s totally unnecessarily.

chrismac

kids having an “empty” for post covid down lockdown. I’d be doing the same as going to be lots of raves, parties, blowing steam off etc this summer.
    I don’t see it as sinister just the host looking to protect their properties from getting trashed

this. Would you hand over the keys to a property you own without checking up on the client

Cougar

I provided photo ID (driving licence) when I signed up years ago. Didn’t see an issue with it, it seemed a sensible precaution to verify who you are before staying in a complete stranger’s house unsupervised.

duncancallum

I dont but I’ve used AirBNB and have feedback.

As above its stop massive house trashing parties.

I’m not sure what the issue is….

Max…
    Free Member

At 53 odd my wife and I are kind of past the ‘massive house trashing’ phase.

The sympathetic host has tried to help as much as possible by pre-approving the booking but the Airbnb corporation insist I comply or….you vill be shot…I guess

matt_outandabout

do you have any other sites that you can suggest

Both our cottages this year have been a phone up / email and book direct lot. I find the cottages own websites these days and check them out that way as well.

We have used AirBnB for years, for both family holiday and work. Increasingly they have been just unreliable, cancellations galore, one for work that the description and reviews just did not reflect the reality. We have had two personally and four at work that have cancelled the few days before a booking (one TBF in Argyll was as Cv19 was arriving…). It just seems to attract less than professional side of the industry.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just before you’re due to arrive they’ll cancel your booking because they’ve sold it to someone for more or inform you you’ve got a different (shittier) room than the one you originally booked. Or you’ve been changed to a camp bed in the living room so you cancel and still get charged a few euros. I’ve given up on AirB&B and now use either Booking, Gîtes de France, things on Google maps… .

They’ll always scan your ID in Spain when you arrive. They have to make a list and give it to the local authorities each night.

CountZero

We match your selfie photo to the ID you gave us, to check that you’re really you. We use the selfie to verify your identity—it will not be posted to your profile or shared with hosts.

Good luck with comparing the stunningly crap photo the Post Office took when I renewed my driver’s license with any selfie I take!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Interesting… say no more 😉

It really wasn’t, unless you have any startling revelations about H&N Barrcuda 18’s.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Just for balance I have used air BnB for our last two Scottish holidays with no negative issues experienced. We had one place booked last year which was cancelled due to COVID, we got a full refund no quibbles. Not like Eurocamps who kept our deposit.

My wife is about to become a host on Air BnB for our Aviemore bolt hole. Fingers crossed it will turn out well. I did notice that they are keen for you to automatically accept bookings of verified people. That’s where the photo ID comes in. In the past I have had to wait for the host to accept my booking within 24 hours. This usually involves a bit of messaging to verify I’m not planning on throwing a wild party/stag do. When I was doing the hosting set up online it kept asking me to accept instant booking. Seems to be the way they want to go.

TiRed

They don’t have to record it electronically. Even a photocopy is not really a digital imprint.

Staying in an Air BnB at the moment. Didn’t show any ID. I’m not averse to providing visual sight of my ID to anyone when checking in, but storing a copy on a server. No thanks.

DezB
    Free Member

Just made an AirBnB booking – had the option of providing “Government photo ID” or putting in my verified address. I put in my address and all went through fine.

Kahurangi

What’s that? You want to be given keys to my house but won’t verify your identity? Please, go ahead an cancel your booking!

Edukator
    Free Member

They don’t have to record it electronically. Even a photocopy is not really a digital imprint.

That would be all very well if the owners in Cataluna didn’t have to send the copy of the passport to the authorities by e-mail. Elsewhere in Spain they just have note the details and send those. Fact is, in Cataluna, they’ll scan your passport and e-mail it to the feds.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Airbnb wants me to upload my actual Government photo id to make a booking…’ is closed to new replies.