Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • AirBnB upstairs…
  • branes

Yep, the owner of the flat upstairs has started letting their flat on AirBnB. As you can imagine this is not good, late night (well, all night) noise, lights left on/off, random car parking in the drive, the list goes on.

It was unannounced, but it’s only taken a week to figure out what’s going on, find the listing etc.

I think/hope I have a fairly long list of measures which will persuade them to stop, it’s one flat of 4 in a converted house, the other two owners are equally pissed off, and we already have a fairly long list of lease and insurance issues to present. I’m starting with a reasonable email, along the lines of ‘it’s just out of order and there’s no way she would live below it, please stop’.

I’m sure the deep font of STW knowledge must have some experience of this, so interested if anyone has similar experiences to share? Don’t share them if it didn’t result in stopping it though please!

doomanic

I’m starting with a reasonable email, along the lines of ‘it’s just out of order and there’s no way she would live below it, please stop’.

You’re hoping that someone who didn’t bothering informing her neighbours what she had planned and is making money out of it is going to be reasonable?

Good luck with that.

tjagain

depending where you are your council may have rules on it. If a Reasonable email does not do anything and I doubt it will that would be my first port of call along with checking leases etc ( If leasehold)

convert

No idea on the legality etc – someone else need to help with this.

Assuming it’s all legal…..

It’s a tricky one imo. If I was the person letting the flat through airbnb I’d hope you wouldn’t mind. Same as if I was a long term tenant. But there are plenty of folk that would be a rubbish tenant and a rubbish short term airbnb renter. Imagine a rubbish tenant 24/7 as a very real alternative….you could be a bit half glass full about it and think at least it’s not all the time!

As an aside – if she is renting it now what was going on with it previously? Was she in it, a mostly absent dweller or did she long term lease it? Are you comparing a now full flat to a previously basically empty one? If so it would be worse living there regardless of airbnb or anything.

Is there anything in your gift you can do to make it better. Improved signage in the car park, signs on switches etc. Are there any reasonable measures she could add to the flat welcome info that could make your life better?

branes

Good luck with that.

Yes, I know. But I’m a reasonable person.

first port of call along with checking leases etc

Yes, this is exactly what we’re doing.

Imagine a rubbish tenant 24/7 as a very real alternative

Yes, but it’s generally easier to deal with this as the rubbish tenant isn’t going soon. In the space of a couple of weeks it’s been a succession of rubbish tenants. (Indeed, in many ways long term rentals are the best situation – most are fine, and you can probably persuade the flat owner to kick them out at the end of their tenancy, not so with a flat owner, and an unreasonable AirBnB tenant are leaving tomorrow so why should they gaf?)

if she is renting it now what was going on with it previously?

It’s her second home, no doubt referred to as her ‘pied a terre’. She has spent about a 1/3 of her time here til now.

The point really is that standard domestic owners and renters have lived up there for years – odd bit of noise of course, but it’s always just been a question of a knock on the door, can you turn it down please if it’s too bad. Most people live similar lives where it’s usually maybe weekends etc, so it’s never been a problem. It seems that when let as an AirBnB in a city (Bristol) it attracts a holiday/party clientele, not someone intending to live there, with entirely predictable consequences.

Is there anything in your gift you can do to make it better.

I have thought about this – but as above, fundamentally I think it will always attract a hotel type crowd, in a building that most certainly isn’t built as a hotel, in some ways worse as it’s big enough for loud groups of mates too… (And yes, clearly I would have expected them to think about this before whacking it on on AirBnB, but…)

monkeyboyjc

Speak to the owner first. Ask what policy’s they have put in place with their guests, house rules, quite times etc. ask for a copy and email the owner every time a guest brakes the rules.

Airbnb is great, but if an owner lives away from the property which has neighbors it can be a mare.

If no joy, strap two speakers to the ceiling and alarm call every guest at 5am.

oldtennisshoes

As a responsible AirBnB owner my advice would be to do all you could to persuade the guests to leave a negative review. A run of negative reviews will really hurt. There are of course other platforms, but it would be a ball ache to switch.

I’m sure you can be creative with being persuasive.

jambourgie
    Free Member

You use your flat as a home? To actually live in? How quaint…

Joking aside, I’ve actually thought of AirBnB’ing my flat at the weekends. If only to get away from the noise of power tools/building works running all weekend. “Oh, sorry if the chainsaw has disturbed you but we must cut logs for the logburner all day Sunday as we both work all week…”. Makes my teeth itch, everybody doing up/flipping houses/converting houses into flats/flats into houses/every single shop getting turned into a  bloody coffee shop…

Gonna stay in my peaceful unit on an industrial estate at the weekends and let my flat out as a party venue. I’ll probably get an asbo within a week. Seems you can be as antisocial and selfish as you like in some ways, but not in others.

Sorry  for using your thread as a ranting post OP. I feel your pain tho.

nickjb
    Free Member

Rent your place out as an air BnB too. Use the profit to rent a nice house

thepurist

Any common spaces where you and the other residents could stick up a load of official looking notices about quiet times etc?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Thread is useless without links.

What I will say is that whilst anti-social behaviours isn’t on you can hardly complain about them parking in the driveway. Unless you’d prefer them to park across it.

maccruiskeen

I think/hope I have a fairly long list of measures which will persuade them to stop, it’s one flat of 4 in a converted house, the other two owners are equally pissed off, and we already have a fairly long list of lease and insurance issues to present. I’m starting with a reasonable email,

Check what your local councils rules are – some local authorities don’t allow apartments with shared access (communal door and hallway)  to be used as short term and holiday lets.  In Glasgow its certainly the case – they actively pursue it as a policy, and issue enforcement orders. They’ll also be wanting Business Rates.

onehundredthidiot

If it’s an old house split into flats do you collectively not own the leasehold? When I lived in one in Farnborough it was a leasehold held by a company in which we were all directors. Not only did we pay into a maintenance fund but we could set the rules at AGM. Mind.you not sure where we stood.if someone flatly refused.

Flaperon

1. Rent it yourself for a couple of nights.
    2. Trash the place.

maccruiskeen

I have thought about this – but as above, fundamentally I think it will always attract a hotel type crowd, in a building that most certainly isn’t built as a hotel, in some ways worse as it’s big enough for loud groups of mates too… (And yes, clearly I would have expected them to think about this before whacking it on on AirBnB, but…)

Have a look at the listing and see what they are offering in this respect. I’m heading off to a cottage on the islands tomorrow (humble brag). Thats via airbnb. It only has one bedroom but also says “The listing can accommodate a gathering of 25 or more attendees” – exactly how it can accommodate them I’m not sure.

So its worth understanding what expectations prospective guests are being given.

branes

What I will say is that whilst anti-social behaviours isn’t on you can hardly complain about them parking in the driveway. Unless you’d prefer them to park across it.

Yeah, I should have been more specific there. There are allocated parking spaces, in the front garden, with a pathway up the middle to the front door. If they’re used, all is fine. But the car was parked across that pathway almost completely blocking foot access to the front door.

Thread is useless without links.

Yeah, I know, but I’d rather keep it general in case it all turns nasty!

branes

was a leasehold held by a company in which we were all directors.

Yes, it’s exactly that, and with 3 of us being ‘against’ the AirBnB there is hope. That said there are clauses in the lease and articles which are intended to prevent removal of rights etc, and of course leases etc are all just legal opinion until tested in court which obviously I want to avoid.

branes

Check what your local councils rules are

Yeah, unfortunately there only seems to be talk of regulation in Bristol – no action.

poly
    Free Member

As you can imagine this is not good, late night (well, all night) noise, lights left on/off, random car parking in the drive, the list goes on.

It was unannounced, but it’s only taken a week to figure out what’s going on, find the listing etc.

So you are basing your upset on one or two sets of tennants? I’d not be looking at how to stop (she won’t, you’ll end up in a battle) but how to constructively guide them (visitors and Airbnb operator) to a sensible solution. E.g. how can you sign post the parking better; how can you make this appeal to workers or families looking to be in Bristol rather than Parties etc. However just because you’ve got lucky with neighbours before doesn’t mean a long term tennant is going to be better.

wbo
    Free Member

Well for a start move the parking signs so their’s wont block the pathway. Then think how to sell this to her so she isn’t looking to lose some hundreds of pounds a week.. just because you’re not used to having anyone upstairs more than a third of the time isn’t going to do the job.
    You can go the nuclear option but be prepared to regret it later when you get zero cooperation on anything

tjagain

given what you said about the leasehold on the building then the other 3 should be able to stop this – there should be clauses in the lease agreement

pwersonally I would warn her and ask her to stop, then in parallel both go down the legal route and making the stay for the renters unpleasant – early morning noise is a good one.

I bet she has not declared it to the mortgage company or for tax either. shop her to both. Most air B&Bs do not run within the law. Edinburgh was playing a game of whack a mole stopping them

nealglover
    Free Member

making the stay for the renters unpleasant – early morning noise is a good one.

Why not stick to the person responsible for letting an unsuitable property as a holiday apartment, rather than targeting people who legitimately rented a place for a holiday ?

tjagain

Because if they leave bad reviews it will destroy the “business” Yes its harsh on them but no one using air b&b should be under any illusions what unethical and often illegal cesspit it is.

90% of air B&Bs in edinburgh are illegal

tjagain

Another thought – is the flat up to standard for renting? Again in relies on what your councils regulations are but its usual to require full interlinked fire systems, all gas, electrical and fire checks, proper fire doors etc etc. Report it to the council

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Turning the place into a party flat is a grade A dick move. Plus the whole thing sounds about as above board as that basement poker room where I lost all my money the other weekend.

Good luck.

nealglover
    Free Member

[Quote]but no one using air b&b should be under any illusions what unethical and often illegal cesspit it is[/quote]

Well I have used airb&b twice, and both times we stayed in lovely cottages in the middle of nowhere and had a great time.
    Not sure where I should have spotted the “unethical and illegal cesspit” vibes, as they were not all that obvious.

tjagain

Head in sand much Neal?

Do you really not know what sort of a place it is?

there are few / no controls

No one checks the building is up to the correct standards, No one checks its a legal rental etc etc

TheBrick
    Free Member

No different to many other short term letting portals that exist and existed long before air b&b.

tjagain

Not from what I know. Others run checks on suitability of the buildings and are they to the right standards

i was going on a lads weekend and they fpound an air B&B. I asked them to check for the correct certificates for short term letting. the owners had none. We went instead to a place from another source that was legal

funkmasterp

You need to go full Michael Keaton from Pacific Heights on them.

PiknMix
    Free Member

1. Rent it yourself for a couple of nights.

2. get key cut.

3. Let yourself in and trash it after every visitors departs.

Flaperon

Let yourself in and trash it after every visitors departs.

That is pure evil but sheer genius.

hels
    Free Member

Sure TJ – but 84% of statistics are just made up….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not from what I know. Others run checks on suitability of the buildings and are they to the right standards

Which sites are those ?

tjagain

Which sites are those ?

I don’t remember but I looked into this a year or two ago and I was astonished how little management and protection you got from air B&B compared to other sites and how much more air B&B charged

tjagain

More than 7,000 entire properties are being offered for rent in the city on Airbnb – rather than a spare room in a house – but fewer than 35 properties in the city have applied for planning permission to operate as a commercial business.

An investigation by The Times highlighted that in a sample of 150 flats, more than one in ten did not report a smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector, and a further third only had a smoke alarm.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/thousands-edinburghs-airbnb-properties-potentially-unlawful-542458

trail_rat
    Free Member

I don’t remember but I looked into this a year or two ago and I was astonished how little management and protection you got from air B&B compared to other sites and how much more air B&B charged

That’s why I asked. We looked at which sites to put my folks place on…. It’s not on air BnB because their back side tools are a bit shite when it comes to room management. But as for believing any of them come out and vet your place you’d be very surprised.

At best they ask you to send in paperwork.- easy to fake if you were so inclined.

As for the rates….. Air BnB ain’t all that high compared to others – some of the more boutique ones are higher and offer no better protection. They mostly all self regulated based on reviews.

tjagain

I was dealing with an agent and its a while ago but some of the sites wanted to see the official paperwork ie safety certs etc from my memory – and air B&B were significantly more expensive

they are shysters – look at their response to that scotsman article

monkeyboyjc

Airbnb are cheaper from a hoast perspective than many of the others – booking.com etc. Airbnb fees to the guest are high, but also comparable to other sites.

Our airbnb has been cloned twice on other sites – screenshots of our photos on Airbnb and some general information but no details. People actually booked through them (booking.com and some glamping site) paid the money, no further communication and then turned up – once during lockdown and one after. I’m pretty sure no sites ask for any paperwork or even if the property exists.

Ours was targeted because its linked to our village shop, which we also run, so if you Google it everything looks good.

Airbnb is just an accommodation search engine ultimately.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘AirBnB upstairs…’ is closed to new replies.