Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Air Up bottles – gimmick or not?
  • Pieface

Has anyone had any experience of these?

My daughter has her heart set on one but I’m convinced it will fall short of her expectations.

Normally I’d let her spend her money but this appears unlikely to be what she thinks it will be, and the returns policy is that they will only refund unopened products. At £30 it seems a bit of a gamble.

Any real-world experience out there?

jamesbont
    Free Member

My daughter has one and whereas I cannot comment on the flavours as I’ve not really tried it i must say it is a well-made bottle. It’s the first bottle we have bought her that she doesn’t complain leaks. She has been taking it to school everyday since she had it for Christmas and given the fact that she changes her mind about things every 5 minutes that must be a good sign.

Pieface

@jamesbont is she happy that the ‘flavouring’ works? I guess it must do given your response

jamesbont
    Free Member

Yeah she been using it regularly for the last 6 months so must be good

Cougar

Never heard of them, so I had a look at the website.

On the face of it there’s a logic to the idea. Your taste and smell senses are tightly linked – try eating whilst holding your nose – so I’m prepared to believe that drinking tap water with a glorified air freshener under your nose might trick your brain into thinking it’s flavoured.

But… so what? What are her “expectations” exactly? It is absolutely not going to “detox” or provide any of the other pseudoscientific benefits claimed in the product descriptions.

Chuck half a SIS tablet into a regular water bottle, you’ll get water that tastes vaguely of lemon or cola and add valuable electrolytes. Plus you’re not tied into a proprietary pod system costing two or three quid for “up to” 5 litres.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bin dun

Yak

Hmmm new to me. Yeah, there’s a logic to it. Some scratch n’sniff stickers near the nozzle of a regular bottle might also work.

Anyway, nevermind logic, value, expectations, whatever. If the other girls have them and it’s the ‘thing’, then she will be happy with it.

Pieface

Its all over Tik Tok so logic / rational goes out the window.

The USP for her is that she can drink more water at school (they’re not allowed squash), and its good for the planet as the pods are recycleable (the fact that if she didn’t have one they wouldn’t need recylcing, and where recycles them? is lost on her).

jonno101
    Free Member

My daughter has one cause all of her friends do, so they must be doing well. personally I think it is not a great design. Ours does leak, unless screw lid really tight, which obvs makes it hard for her to undo. The coke flavour is impressive the way it works, but not bought any new flavours since we had it. Obvs bad for landfill if you buy more flavours. So I wouldn’t buy again, but hey we aint in charge 🙂

Cougar

(they’re not allowed squash)

Why not?

dannybgoode

Why not?

Same at the boy’s school. Water only and rude texts/emails from school reminding parents in no uncertain terms that the police will be called if squash is detected etc. No idea why – the offical reason is something to do with healthy eating/drinking but I call that BS

Rickos
    Free Member

It does work. My boy has had one for school since October last year. I’ve had a quick go and the theory does work if that’s what you really want to know.

tall_martin

One of the year 11 at my school had one and lost it.

At £30 for a water bottle I’d be hesitating before taking it into a school if they were in any way forgetful or lost things.

The school I teach at has an only water policy. It’s easier to ban everything other than water than have an argument about which fizzy drinks are ok and which are not.

I’m not sure if you have ever tried to teach physics to a 15 year old who has downed a 2L bottle of coke in 30 seconds and is convinced himself that it’s made him hyperactive.

It was an education for sure 🙂

DrP

My daughter (7) isn’t asked squash either… I think they think they still contain sugar??

I’ve got her a pink bottle… kinda (not really) horses the fact it has squash in it..

I just ignore the daft rule tbh… she doesn’t like water!

DrP

infidel
    Free Member

Both my daughters have them – a reward for great school reports. It wasn’t what I’d had in mind when I had said well done but there we are. I was cynical but am not at all now. The flavour things do work and seem to last longer than advertised. Neither of ours have leaked and they are sturdy. They encourage the girls to drink more water which is all to the good as far as I am concerned and they are easy to clean. Beats those Chilly bottle style things which are a PITA to clean and the endless number of cheaper (accepting almost any drinking vessel is cheaper than and AirUp) bottles which all invariably leaked.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.