Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Air purifiers?
  • scruff9252

At this time of year when the windows get shut and the heating starts to come on, my allergies go mental. I presume it’s dust in the rads which then get airborne as the heaters get turned on.

I’ve taken an antihistamine but I’m still sneezing like mad. Out for a dog walk and all is good, come home again…

Are air purifiers all they are cracked up to be or just snake oil? any recommended brands that won’t bankrupt me either with upfront costs or ongoing energy costs?

Thanks

retrorick

Clean your radiatiors with one of those long flexible brushes.
    My oh has an air purifier, I don’t think it does that much.

ernielynch
    Free Member

I’m impressed with the Philips air purifier that came from Costco, but mostly because of the way it kicks in when the cat walks past it, or the curtains are opened/closed, basically anything that releases particles into the air.

It goes full turbo speed when it senses particles and then calms down to a silent tick-over speed when it no longer senses any. I can’t say that I can notice a difference in air quality but my allergic rhinitis probably isn’t that bad.

mert
    Free Member

Have put a small one in my kids room, his hayfever clears up overnight now, used to just hang around for a few weeks.

There’s another larger one in the hall outside the kitchen, that behaves much the same way as Ernies. Certainly detects dirt in the air!
    Was useful in the summer with windows being opened and closed all day. (lots of trees round here!)

cyclingdiogenes
    Free Member

A close friend of mine owns and praises an AEG AX91. It’s neither small nor cheap but it’s pretty silent and certainly looks quality.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We got a £15 air purifier from amazon or eBay and it made a difference to my wifes level f sneezing within a day or two. It was so good that after a few months she turned it off and put it away as me wasting money because she doesn’t sneeze anymore so what is it doing?

I still have to get it out and run it for a week from time to time when she suddenly starts sneezing again. We don’t have pets but it seems to clear the dust that is fine enough to get through the vacuum cleaner.

Something like this biut probably not this exact one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hongjingda-Air-Purifier-Home-Purifiers/dp/B09QMGX59P/ref=sr_1_20?c=ts&keywords=Air+Purifiers&qid=1664437840&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjY5IiwicXNhIjoiNS42MSIsInFzcCI6IjUuMzEifQ%3D%3D&refinements=p_36%3A146167031&rnid=388997011&s=kitchen-appliances&sr=1-20&ts_id=3147771

scruff9252

Brilliant. Thanks all.

Got one coming from Amazon today. Fingers crossed it makes an improvement!

ElShalimo
    Free Member

Does anyone use one in their home office?

We’ve got a modern house and it’s dusty as there’s not much airflow in winter. On very sunny days your can see the airborne stuff floating around

sandwicheater

Anyone notice a drop in dust on surfaces after having a purifier?

We’re not plagued by allergies however, we do suffer from being lazy.

Noticed a few of the air purifiers tout they reduce surface ming which i guess makes sense.

mert
    Free Member

Yes.
    The house is generally very dusty due to it’s location, but it’s now “less bad”.

Just reminded me to buy a second one for downstairs…

robertajobb

We’ve had an AEG X91 for a few months.

Our old cottage is very dusty, especially when we start shuffling stuff around and re-arranging, etc. We have a big dawg too.  It’s in the living room.

I’ve got asthma, and it does seem to make a difference

Set on ‘smart’ it adjusts itself based on what it senses in the air. And certainly ramps up if we’re cooking using a frying pan (even with the kitchen extractor hood on full bore).

I’ve got asthma, and it does seem to make a difference. Just how much, impossible to know or prove. The app provides plots of the sensed pm1, pm2.5, pm10 and volatiles, so does show its reducing particulates.

Its quiet. And the electricity consumption not bad. Something like 60w full bore. Obvs less when the fan is low when the air is clean (if set on ‘smart’ and not manually set to 9).

It wasn’t cheap. But you need a decent volume of flow for one of these things to be effective. So is a reasonable size.

Seems the filter will last about 10 months for us based on what the ‘remaining capacity’ indication in the App is.  I did buy and store a spare filter (about £80) – I’m always wary that unavailable consumables like the filters will render an expensive product obsolete.

Would I buy it again, with what I know now ?  Yes.

footflaps

We could do with one to get rid of cooking smells. Open plan ground floor and the extractor fan never seems to remove it all, esp fish – the ground floor smells the next morning. Something left running overnight to remove the smell would be good.

grahamt1980

We have a blue air downstairs and there has been a bit drop in the amount of dust around. Will probably get one for upstairs this year

petrieboy
    Free Member

We’ve been using an ebac dehumidifier this winter primarily to allow us to eliminate the tumble drier and reduce moisture so the central heating can work a bit more efficiently

An unexpected benefit is the air filter on the back of it seems to pick up a huge amount of fine dust that would otherwise be circulating in the house. We’re a family of 6 so plenty dust creation going on

granny_ring

Following

ElShalimo
    Free Member

@grahamt1980 – any idea which model it is?

grahamt1980

@ElShalimo
    I believe it is this one https://www.blueair.com/gb/air-purifiers/blue-3210/8318.html?cgid=air-purifiers#start=1
    We wouldn’t have paid the extra for the next one up as we were just trying it to see if it worked.
    It’s simple and easy enough to give a clean.

ElShalimo
    Free Member

thanks

branes

I’ve got one of these. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DM1KZLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Washable filter so hopefully no premature retirement due to filter (un)availability. Fixed my allergies when the static caravan we’re living in (extension) went a bit toxic due to condensation and resultant mould.

ElShalimo
    Free Member

washable filters sounds like a good idea as I’m sure the normal filters won’t be available in 5-10 years from now

zilog6128

washable filters sounds like a good idea as I’m sure the normal filters won’t be available in 5-10 years from now

I don’t think filters are anything special except the shape. Don’t see why you couldn’t just buy a generic sheet or sheets of whatever material and cut it to fit?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.