Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Air jackets for mountain biking?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

How long before these become standard?

Air Jacket bbc

Spin
    Free Member

I’m going to stick with the cotton wool me ma wrapped me up in all them years ago.

Markie
    Free Member

It alway provides a (wrong!) cause for a chuckle when you see a rider slide off their horse at the end of their ride having forgotten to unclip their jacket’s safety cord… oops!

Wookster

I think the jump version would be useful. Given the up take in Leatt braces I can see these being used.

bruneep

Jacket, which costs about £400 and weighs 1kg, is attached via a lanyard (cord) to the saddle
    When the rider parts from the saddle, or extends beyond the lanyard length, a trigger is activated which punctures a CO2 canister.

I’d need about 10 jackets a ride 😳

bullandbladder
    Free Member

My OH uses one when riding her Devil’s Bicycle and swears by it.

Not sure how much use it would be with a backpack over the top though – probably cause more injury than it prevents.

discoduck
    Free Member

Before wearing that I’d stop biking altogether !

I’d love to go on a ride with several other people who were all wearing them so I could chuckle at the amount of Negligent Discharges that were going off !

Edric64
    Free Member

Negligent Discharges that were going off !

There must be a double entendre there !

downshep

Camelbak bladder mucho cheaperer but still quite effective at cushioning the spine.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I can’t see much difference between these and body armer, knee pads and arm pads tbh. For big mountains I can imagine these being readily adopted or for scaredy cats or DH’ers.

adsh
    Free Member

Deployment is an issue in that they depend on seperation from the x10 heavier and relatively immobile quadruped to go off.

Many offs on MTB don’t seperate the rider from bike much at the injury stage so not sure how they could reliably deployed.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Made lighter, cheaper and combined with something like the ICEdot tag it could be viable.

Combining it with this

You’d be like an air filled ironman.

zelak999
    Free Member

Can’t wait! The number of times I’ve fallen and damaged myself this year!

matther01
    Free Member

I use the cheapo version and encase myself in bubble wrap.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Air jackets for mountain biking?’ is closed to new replies.