• This topic has 50 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Cougar.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Air Fryers – what’s good!…
  • I can’t find a decent dual drawer (preferably 9l) in stock anywhere, apart from inflated prices

thecaptain
    Free Member

Amusing article by jay rayner in the guardian saying they are shit:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/oct/09/chips-in-an-air-fryer-they-are-dull-dry-and-very-sad-as-am-i

I find ours mostly better for reheating than actual cooking. But I’m still getting used to it.

kayak23

Amusing article by jay rayner in the guardian saying they are shit:

Not really. Just saying they are not really what the name implies. Most people realise that when they do their research.
    He still says they cook some things really well and at much, much lower energy use.

I did a couple of veggie pies in ours the other day. Took the foil off to cook them and we had beautifully crispy and golden pies all over, not just the top. No collapsing.

I think like anything they need experimenting with. I have also found that chips are not particularly crispy etc, but then I’ve rarely had them from a chip shop crispy. I guess the paper wrapping makes them softer. I suspect I could get better results by experimenting with settings.

But they are incredibly faff-free to cook when compared with deep frying and still very good. You have to remember to shake them a few times during cooking. I toss mine in cajun spices etc. Really nice.

Not sure anyone is saying they’re the be all and end all, but they are incredibly handy and a far better option than heating a huge metal box up to temperature.

frankconway

Jay Rayner was distinctly unimpressed when he tried a few recipes in a Cosori.

tomtomthepipersson

I use Melissa Thompson’s technique for making chips (in the article that ElShalimo posted) and they’re bloody lovely. Not at all like chip shop chips though – crispier and less greasy.

Cougar

I have also found that chips are not particularly crispy etc,

Parboil them for five minutes first. Dry them out as much as you can (the freezer is handy for this) and then air-fry.

catdras
    Free Member

Anyone got any views on this: https://amzn.eu/d/0zfEetB

We’re after one with two separate trays and was looking at the Ninja Foodi Max but don’t really want to pay £230.

Kamakazie

They definitely make better chips than the normal fan oven but they aren’t like the chippy. Especially the actifry with the rotating paddle.

nbt

ANyone got the Lakeland dual basket fryer? Disregarding the availability (hoping it might come back in stock), it’s a LOT cheaper than than the Ninja FOodi and I’ve got a discount voucher on top of that

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/26920/lakeland-dual-basket-air-fryer

Cougar

We’re after one with two separate trays and was looking at the Ninja Foodi Max but don’t really want to pay £230.

You don’t want to pay £230 but you’re happy to pay £200?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.