Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Air compressor advice
  • slowrider
    Free Member

Hello wise forum

Quick Q, would one of the basic draper air compressors for £60 be the right tool for the job when it comes to tubeless shenanigans?

This one

Cheers

compositepro
    Free Member

no

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Isnt the current go to device a hozelock backpack sprayer?

wwaswas

I don’t think that one has an air reservoir so it won’t be suitable for you.

compositepro
    Free Member

Isnt the current go to device a hozelock backpack sprayer?

is it , has the lidl far eastern origin for peanuts compressor fallen out of favour? the ones like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Electric-2HP-24-Litre-Air-Compressor-230v-50Hz-/350787469551?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item51ac9000ef

slowrider
    Free Member

No idea, I always use the spare wheel from my car but thought this might be less hassle.

Anyone got a link to something that works?

slowrider
    Free Member

Ooh, quicker than me! Cheers

wysiwyg
    Free Member

With the above compressor youd have to fill some form of container with a valve you can open and dump all the air into the tyre.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Use an old car tyre and wheel from a scrap yard as a reservoir?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Do you suppose the input current of the Draper is really 13 amps or have they just put that to show that you can run it off a normal 3 pin domestic plug?
    I was looking for a small portable compressor but the integrated ones are expensive – I have 2.8kw genny which wouldn’t be enough if that was really 13 amps input. The 0.147kw bit doesn’t make much sense either.

zerocool

Can anyone recommend a compressor that can run off the 12v from my van which will be capable of setting up tubeless?

GEDA
    Free Member

I use a pop bottle with two valves in it. Take the valve out of one and attach a pressurised hose to it. Take the valve out of the wheel and attach the hose to it. You may need zip ties on the hose.

Now pump up the pop bottle to 80 with kink in the hose. Then release the hose and your tyre should inflate in a jiffy. I followed the advice of DrP on this forum.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Most if not all 12v compressors will fail at tubless
    Unless you have somthing like te viair onboard set up that inc a tank
    It’s all about air flow not pressure

MarkLG
    Free Member

You need something with an air tank. You’re looking at £100-120 ish for a decent quality 24 litre compressor. Have a look in your local Machine Mart to get an idea of what’s what.
    Once you’ve got one in the garage there’s loads of things you can use it for, other than blowing up push bike tyres. 😉

oldnpastit

If you’re just inflating tubeless, then use the 9p diy compressor (as above @GEDA).

Big empty bottle of lemonade.
    Two valves.
    A length of plastic tubing.
    A track pump.
    Your foot.

I’ve used it loads of times now and it’s awesome. Search on here for lots of threads on how to make one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Air compressor advice’ is closed to new replies.