Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ainsa
  • StuE
    Free Member

In Ainsa for a few days and looking for any recommendations for not too technical routes ( don’t mind climbs but other half not keen on techie stuff)

Tracey

There is a map you can pick up locally that has most of the trails marked on them and the trail markers to follow were first class when we were there.

Spekkie on hear lives local and always good for advice

StuE
    Free Member

Cheers Tracey

Alex

We were there a couple of weeks ago. As Tracey says, there’s a really good map showing elevation/difficulty. We were being shuttled so didn’t ride many of the easier trails, but there are lots of them.

Fantastic place as well. A beer outside in the old town as the sun sets is a fab experience.

bob_summers

I’m up there a lot – you need to download the ZTrails app if you haven’t already and you can filter from Green to Black difficulty.

TBH I use the ZZ- prefix routes for trail running not MTB, but I’d say that a Red route here is a fair bit harder than a UK trail centre Red. Eg, ZZ-001 would mean a fair bit of pushing both up and down if you’re not handy on a bike, and some of the ‘red+’ or blacks I’ve done have significant exposure on some sections.

StuE
    Free Member

Hi Bob we downloaded the ZTrials app and mangaged to ride a route of 20 miles or so using a mixture of way marked trails, and you are right about the grading of the trails,we had a very enjoyable day and will hopefully will get a few more rides in, we probably spend a night in the aire just outside of town to get the beer and sunset experience

b33k34

@StuE

Katie & me arrive in town this afternoon for a few days if you want to meet for a few beers

StuE
    Free Member

We will be staying on the Area on Wednesday evening,would be nice to meet for a few beers

skellnonch
    Free Member

Love Ainsa, we go every summer, as above get the app, we stay in Camping Pena Montainesa you can jump on the trails just across the road, awesome place.

bob_summers

There aren’t loads of bars to choose from in the old town but L’Abrevadero is always worth a visit (never liked the local beers on tap though) and the hostel/restaurant Mora de Nuei have a fairly good range.

StuE
    Free Member

We’re staying at Camping Pena Montanesa, downloaded the app and have walked/ridden the trail opposite the campsite, we have a ride planned for tomorrow and are going to spend a night at the Area near town before heading, well we haven’t decided yet and have another 5 weeks in Spain

b33k34

@bob_summers
    @skelnonch

We’ve been a load of times with Basque Mtb and just got back from a second visit by ourselves (and hooked up with @StuE for a few forum beers and bite to eat in the square).

Personally, I think the app is pretty hopeless – a lot of the routes are ridiculously long (there’s 60km stuff marked and even the easier trails are tough climbs, especially if it’s hot (it was c30C when we were there though normal for the time of year is about 10C cooler)

First solo visit we were on muscle bikes in October but again hit an unseasonably hot patch and it was super tough. There really weren’t many loops doable from town and uplift doesn’t seem as simple as you’d expect. I’m thinking these are per rider rather than per vehicle. You’d have thought maybe there would be a posted daily destination that you could go somewhere in the evening and sign up for.

ainsa uplift

We had our Rise’s with us this trip which completely changed it, especially with the heat. The climbs become challenging and fun but nearly all ridable rather than completely wiping you out. Personally I think the ZZ app is terrible – it’s tough to understand and filter the options and worst of all the backing map is google so there’s no off road detail or trails (and google maps is hard to read in sunlight as theres so little definition between a road and the background)

This time I’d got a trail forks sub – all the individual trails seem to be on there and you can see the classification and climb/descent for each segment AND you can see it against OpenStreetMap which DOES show fire roads and paths.

We rode 3 great days heading out and stitching together trails using Trailforks – once you’re on a trail you can use the signage to keep on route (and if you miss a sign you’ve got a decent map to find your way back to the trail). Depending on how long you’ve taken for a section and how the day is panning out I added more loops (rather than sticking to one ZZ route) doing about 40km/1000m each ride. (limited by the heat rather than battery).

Ainsa is good, and in many ways is amazingly well set up for mtbers (our hotel is £60 for a double room including a great breakfast, and has a secure bike room which can take 50 bikes with a power socket for each) but they’re not my favourite trails on the Basque MTB trips we’ve done – theres so much great riding in the wider area.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.