Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Aikido
  • hora
    Free Member

Wow, a little sceptical, it looked abit ‘hey mate could you grab my wrist’? Or Steven Seagal school of acting. Then I went along to a session and it ain’t ‘grab my wrist’ at all. Any practitioners?

It really does look more real world applicable than Karate etc.

jam-bo

If you want real world applicable then MMF (aka brawling) is your best bet.

Too much spiritual ‘ki’ shite in aikido for me. Ju jitsu is a little more applied.

I’d learn kendo if you want to do something with tradition.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It really does look more real world applicable than Karate et

Chuckles. Ask them how you hit someone 😉 Consider how you will employ it in a very tight space where you have restricted movements

All the top exponents of any art are exceptionally skilled practitioner but ask yourself what you want to do

1) Master an art and after years be able to defend yourself better than most

2) be able to defend yourself

They are not the same at all.

Fights dont happen like they do in the movies.

IMHO master brice was correct – take that which is useful

What this means is that learning a variety of different moves from a number of arts is better than mastering just one art. MMA and UFC consistently show this to be the case. No one can excel only knowing one art.

RobHilton
    Free Member

We did locks the other night in Wing Chun – was good fun, if a little painful 🙂 From a set-up position they’re very effective, but it’ll take a hell of a lot of practice to apply them effectively against someone who wants to kick your ass.

hora
    Free Member

I don’t need to be able to punch/fight. I’ve not had to use that ‘skill’ for years. For me its using an opponents energy against themselves, restrain etc.

Sod battering(!) people a la MMA. Aikido seems right?

jam-bo

What if your opponents want to punch you? I got told off at an aikido training session I went along to for punching too fast…

hora
    Free Member

Build up slowly, get the technique first in a controlled environment? Then it’ll become muscle memory?

Junkyard
    Free Member

It will but see how fast someone skilled can punch
    I am pretty light so I can throw a fast punch – you might block it but you wont be grabbing it and if you do I will take you to the floor and you have no grappling skills.

I got told off at an aikido training session I went along to for punching too fast…

Its training so they are correct

I agree that many locks and traps dont work as no one leaves their hand there when they punch

For me its using an opponents energy against themselves, restrain etc.

Wont work when they are pummeling your face in you need other options

Its always amusing to hear one discipline folk say how awesome it is

I look fwd to you using their energy against them in a confined space.

Either way enjoy it for what it is

None of them are useless but none of them are that good you can only learn that – Pick something with jitsu in the title if you must do this.

RobHilton
    Free Member

learning a variety of different moves from a number of arts is better than mastering just one art

I’d agree to an extent, but how to determine what works without mastery? Surely only studying at a very in-depth level will allow you to see where the weaknesses are?

My brother proudly told me recently he’s doing 2 martial arts – training each once a week. I train 1 system 3/4 times a week. At best he’ll be mediocre in 2 systems; me? Who knows? It’ll take some time before I could apply the training, but it’s not really about fighting – more removing the threat.

Amongst the side benefits of physical/mental health, discipline etc.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I don’t think it matters particularly what you train in; just do it properly and you’ll get a lot of benefit from it.

I see the punchy/kicky stuff as training for something that’s never going to happen, so you need to get other things from it.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Aikido takes too many years of training before becoming an effective defense art. Pretty awesome when demonstrated by a master I agree.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just buy a gun.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you’ve doing it for real world effectiveness,then it’s probably not for you. There are other more effective styles out there.
    Do it for the art. Prepare to ache. The must valuable technique you will learn is ukemi. This has numerous real world applications.

Anecdote: Once saw a six foot four twenty stone fireman express doubt over the efficacy of the art. Sensei calls out Liz, who is about four foot nine and six stone dripping wet. “Attack her with everything you’ve got” says the Sensei. Fireman duly obliges after a bit of persuasion. Ends up immobilized on the floor restrained only by Liz’s thumbs on the back of one his elbows. Leaves a true believer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but it’s not really about fighting – more removing the threat

Good luck with that approach but the reality is if you ever need to use it it is because you had no choice and you are in a fight removing the threat means winning a fight or you running away.
    Lots of what is taught is not effective in a street fight

FWIW i agree with the attitude dont train so you can be a hard man but do train so that what you learn will work when someone attacks you.

I remember at one karate grading – i never spar in karate as when i get hit training takes over – i was sparring as I had to to grade. I was up up against a wee fast karate guy – possibly third dan[and i was covering up boxing style – very underrated IMHO] so he could hit me , well my arms ,but not hurt me. He got cross and made me drop my guard[ to karate style] then punched me straight in the face and bust my lip. He was quick to be fair. As his punch recoiled I steeped in kneed him in the stomach then took him to ground. He was not pleased as this was not karate. I said dont **** hit me then or I will just react.
    Karate wise I stood no chance against him not a hope in a fight he stood no chance against me.
    Unfortunately the days of mastering one art are over and we have moved on.

jam-bo

Its training so they are correct

Blue & brown belts should be able to cope with a proper punch….

jimjam
    Free Member

I used to work with a girl who’s a black belt in Aikido. Travels all over the world doing seminars yada yada. We talked about it a lot as I was studying BJJ and MMA at the time, she was absolutely 100% clear that in her opinion it would be pretty useless in a fight, that she wouldn’t know what to do in a fight, but that’s not why she was studying it.

A lot of traditional martial arts/artists still have their head in the sand and there’s a cultish self delusional aspect to some of these clubs/organizations.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Sprinting is probably one of the best self defence moves, otherwise, when in doubt give em a clout.

Junkyard
    Free Member

possibly- depends on how they grade and age but once you know they cannot why did you not slow down?
    Higher belts help the weaker folk to improve and being to fast so they cannot train is not helping. No one gets better by someone more skillful than them giving them a beating

I agree there is no standard with belts as I have been places where the blacks were terrible and a club where anyone who trained there was nails

jam-bo

Anything that wasn’t telegraphed and left hanging seemed to be deemed unreasonable as their ‘techniques’ weren’t working.

a club where anyone who trained there was nails

Was it a taekwondo club in Edinburgh?

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

Not even close to being that tough

soobalias
    Free Member

work out in your head what you want from it both physically and mentally from ‘training’ and ultimately.

if you want to fight, learn to breakfall and join an MMA class
    if you want the aerobic workout think kickboxing tkd
    if you want the spiritual bit tai chi
    if you want self defense, krav maga

but the tricky bit is finding a sensei and class that suits you, dont be afraid to look around.

you seem to have talked yourself into aikido, but words from wiki wont keep your training motivation for long.

(good friend of mine attained blackbelt in aikido while at uni, he feels that it gave him a great base for self defense and then mma)

yossarian
    Free Member

There are a number of different styles of aikido. Some are more ‘practical’ shall we say than others.

My security teams have all used it in the real world for pinning, disengagement and disarming. It works extremely well.

MoreCashThanDash

My ju jitsu instructor (many years ago now) had started in karate, switched to ju jitsu when his joints started playing up, and was planning on aikido when he found that too painful.

Can I just recommend you read a copy of “Angry White Pyjamas”. Fantastic book.

hora
    Free Member

BAF Aikido – not sure of the sub style?

Your security teams- sounds sexy!

I don’t want to learn how to fight. Ive no interest in fighting. MMA – no interest at all. Full stop.

jam-bo

Then why learn anything?

Like I said. Kendo. No real world application at all but pretty good fun while your at it.

hora
    Free Member

I have an itching for white PJs. Any good places to buy them from?

yossarian
    Free Member

I think the BAF is hombu/Tokyo style. See if you can find a dojo near to you that teaches Iwama. It’s more aggro/old school and well, martial, I would say.

Nine circles website is good for pj’s etc

bikebouy
    Free Member

Arrrrrkidow!?

Harry_the_Spider

Been doing karate for just over a year. I’ve learnt a couple or “real world” moves that would be useful if required. I probably won’t need them but it is nice to know that my son and daughter will have a better chance of dealing with somebody making a grab for them when they are of an age to be out on their own.

Also, I should imagine that being on the wrong end of a side kick will ruin your day.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV12Uaejxww[/video]

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve been doing karate for about 8 years. I’ve had my week, never mind day ended numerous occasions by that exact kick. A shifting side kick is even more brutal.
    We sometimes train to step into it and take it on the arm before the leg is fully extended. After 3/4 hits I know I’m going to be black and blue for a while.

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch Karate. I did it for 9yrs as a kid. I stuck up for a Lad after he got a kicking off a gang and I ended up being kicked semi-conscious and being stamped on for being a good citizen. I have no memory of this- I was told by people who had heard the boasts of the group. A few weeks later me and a friend bumped into two of them and the leader started off- none of the Karate worked. The first time I needed it the Lad rushed me and had me in a headlock bashing my head into a low wall. Instinct I guess took over- I uppercut him a few times until I hit and bust his nose- he let go, we wrestled and I bettered him. I never went to Karate again. If he had kept his distance and danced about abit I’d have done some fancy legwork.

pondo

I think if UFC has done anything, it’s shown there isn’t any one style that is dominent, and I personaly think that the person is almost as important as the art. There’s a second dan TKD at work, if we had a knockout MMA tournament (to coin a phrase), he wouldn’t win, don’t think he’d make the final, not that sure he’d make the semis.

Can I just recommend you read a copy of “Angry White Pyjamas”. Fantastic book.

Looks ace, ordered – ta. 🙂

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Aikido is very good, but, like anything else, it needs time and dedication. If you do give it a go, give it a few months – you’l enjoy it!

hora
    Free Member

If its ‘fighting’ I think mindset is part it. Basically you are wired up as someone who doesn’t have fear/or being smacked. Then box and take punishment. I’m looking to Akido for something else- not scrapping per se. Plus the movement is beautiful.

I loved traditional Wado Ryu with weapons. Aikido looks planted, fluid and a good take down/wrist lock etc.

I’ll dedicate myself- that’s one thing I’m good at- single minded focus! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

There is only one martial art worth mastering:

russ295
    Free Member

Your traditional karate is pretty poor I agree. It has its place but as a defence system, not really effective.
    The club I train at is a mix of karate/boxing/tkd/kick boxing. We do a little bit of grappling but not a lot, not as much as I’d like, I used to do judo as a kid and its still there. Also boxed but not competitively.
    I’ve a mate who’s son trains at a local karate club, he’s a brown belt (15 years old) and has never ever done any sparring. My daughter trained from 7 and was sparring within about a year.
    Hora. What type of fighting style would have stopped the beating you got?

hora
    Free Member

None. Would I do it again? Yes. Before I left London – in Croydon I went outside a pub alone to ask a group of blokes to let us go a different direction/avoid trouble due to the actions of a stw’er of the time

jimjam
    Free Member

hora

I don’t want to learn how to fight. Ive no interest in fighting. MMA – no interest at all. Full stop.

hora
    Wow, a little sceptical, it looked abit ‘hey mate could you grab my wrist’? ……….

No harm Hora but why ask if you’re not interested?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t want to learn how to fight. Ive no interest in fighting.

Probably best to learn Yoga then. All of them are designed for fighting . I agree its pointless to want to fight but its just as pointless to practice something that wont be any use in a fight

If its ‘fighting’ I think mindset is part it. Basically you are wired up as someone who doesn’t have fear/or being smacked.

Everyone has this fear the trick is to realise every fight will involve you getting hit you just have to hit the hardest and most often- and get used to being hit and not reacting to the pain

Amazing how many folk stop fighting the i=minute they are hurt – looks at karate kumite.

Then box and take punishment.

Most competent boxers – certainly if kicks were not allowed – would easily pummel most karate folk. Most of the time the punishment is to the arms and they are not getting really hurt

I quite like using it against karate folk . Really good boxers are pretty damn hard to hit and very hard to hit cleanly and well. Easy to kick mind.

I agree with your outlook and if you enjoy it then enjoy it

BoardinBob

BJJ would get my vote for the most useful in real life. Barring a one punch KO most scraps are going to end up in a grapple or on the deck. Knowing you to submit someone in that situation would be a massive advantage. It also signifcantly removes size and weight differences from the equation.

There was a brilliant video I saw last year of a guy, who looked like McLovin, just toying with a much, much bigger black guy who had either been harassing him or a girl on the street. McLovin was a BJJ blue belt and was basically telling the guy what he was going to do to him then did it and the guy simply could not do anything about it. He tapped out eventually

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Aikido’ is closed to new replies.