Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Ahem… Exotic Bars
  • Gee76
    Free Member

No not those type!!!. After opinions on Exotic carbon handlebars are and wondered if anyone had tried em?. can’t find many reviews so opinions welcome, the carbon flatbar looks well spec’d.

Cheers

G

chillidave
    Free Member

I have the riser version, very light, nice shape, shown no signs of wear or fatigue (have not snapped!). Would heartily recommend them.

burglarboycie
    Free Member

I don’t have experience with their bars but have their carbon forks, seatpost and bottle cage on my bike and the quality is superb!!
    James

IanW
    Free Member

Recommendation of a kind..

I bought some alloy 44cm drops, very nicely made, super stiff, light and 11quid, bargain.

Gee76
    Free Member

Cheers chaps just what I was looking for. Aye the forks seem to be held in high regard. How long have you had your risers chillid?, did they weigh as advertised?.. Sorry bit of a weight weenie but also worth doing just to check all the material is in place as designed;

chillidave
    Free Member

Hi Gee,

I bought them in the summer of last year but I didn’t actually weigh them on the scales. Very light for sure but sadly can’t give you a gram figure.

I took them out to the alps in the first week and they survived a crash which broke the stem so I consider them pretty tough.

Gee76
    Free Member

Cool I think these could be a goer. The raceface next wides I also like are narrower, heavier and cost twice as much! As do most other options.

scotroutes

They are rubbish mate 😉

I have Exotic forks and no concerns.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Have the matrix bars and no problems

Gee76
    Free Member

Cheers chaps… Exotic bars… It turns out are many a gentlemans preference;)

Taff
    Free Member

Brother in law had them briefly. There aren’t many reviews on them but the price and weight were appealing to him. When they arrived the tubing was very thin, less than half that of his Eastons and he was worried about that given the riding he does and what they would be like after a crash. He sent them back before trying.

Gee76
    Free Member

Oooo ok, are there any reviews on them?

mtfu
    Free Member

Looking for reviews for the Exotic carbon bars for which I found none, I’m glad I found this thread.

I’m considering buying the Carbon Riser 5/3 31.8,750mm bar but them being so light I’m concerned they will be quite flexy. Can anyone testify to how stiff the bars are. I’ll be riding aggressive XC and fast wide open trails on a FS 29er and don’t want the bars to be flexing around.

chillidave
    Free Member

As above I have a set of the 9/4 750 risers and they’re now bolted to a Fox 36 via a Thomson stem. I notice no flex from the front end. Only negatives I have ever seen said about them is due to preconceptions (too light/ too thin to trust them). For me they have been fit and forget.

jasonm945
    Free Member

I have the flats on my anthem 29 and I weigh quite a heft amount and am fairly aggressive with them…

No problems, and very little noticeable flex.

Jay

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Exotic bars here, and they get a full hammering on the Helvellyn descents in the lakes, so they must be ok, the finish is excellent too,quality bars and highly recommended.. 😉

brakes
    Free Member

are these from Carbon Cycles?
    I thought they might be cheaper than £60. Am I missing something?

mtfu
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I think I’ll mosey on over and order me some bars. For weight vs price it’s astonishing value.

Gee76
    Free Member

Aye looks like I’ll leaps go that way to. Cheers for the reasurance… Mostly

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Very happy with mine

mtfu
    Free Member

Just one other question. Is the Exotic logo/branding printed on top of the finish or is it below a clear coat? I ask because I don’t really care for the look of it and the orange will be completely out of place with my lime green colour scheme so was thinking if it was possible to rub it off with some fine steel wool or something.

mtfu
    Free Member

@bartimaeus, is that the 9/4 or 5/3 version? I’m undecided which to go for.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Mine are the 9/4 version.

One thing I’ve learned is that you need to leave yourself some room for adjustment if you are changing things.

I first got the 750 riser bars and an 80mm stem… I rode for a bit with my grips inboard and then cut the bars to about 730 as that was on the wider side of where my hands fell naturally. I also dropped some spacers to get the height right. So far so good. Rode some more… and then thought about maybe a slightly shorter stem and possibly slightly narrower.

So, 70mm stem… but then I also got a Reverb, which has no layback. Suddenly everything is just about spot on… and I certainly don’t want the bars any narrower (if I has them 750 now I might not even trim to 730).

So the moral of the story is that bar width is the last variable to change if you are cutting… as it is the most expensive to get wrong if you go too narrow.

I should probably have considered a lower rise bar, as I would not now want mine higher, and as you can see there’s no room to go lower.

As it is everything is damn good – but adding a Reverb nearly threw out all my calculations, and I had thought I was being careful!

takisawa2

I have their alloy & carbon forks & both are excellent.

Gee76
    Free Member

What was support like for those that ordered?. Bought last week but didn’t get any confirmation other than PayPal invoice. I’ve emailed (via PayPal) but no response. Maybe I’ve been spoilt by other sellers but tis a bit quiet!

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I don’t recall getting emails or anything from CarbonCycles, but the stuff I have ordered usually turns up within a week I think.

jairaj

I emailed them a while back about info on the wide carbon bar as it had a ridiculously light weight for something so wide and rated for all mountain riding.

I have a lot of their stuff and am very happy with it but this seemed too good to be true. I asked them to confirm the weight and if it really was suitable for real all mountain type riding.

unfortunately the reply back was very vague and didn’t give me much confidence. they also stated a rider weight limit of 90kg.

I decided to stay clear as I am near the weight limit and the bar was going to be used on bike that would take a bit of a battering. I’m sure it’ll be fine for XC use.

Gee76
    Free Member

Ah ok. I got an email this morning and they’re looking into it at the mo!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Ahem… Exotic Bars’ is closed to new replies.