Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Aggressive Trail 29er Full Suss- Bird AM9? – Other suggestions…
  • scandal42
    Free Member

So I’m looking at the possibility of complimenting my 140mm 29er hardtail with a 29er full suss.

Spend would be up to £2500ish and I’m struggling for options that come anywhere near the spec of a Bird AM9.

My initial thoughts are that it’s too much bike being 150/150 (I like being engaged in the ride) but everything I read says that it is incredibly nimble and sprightly even on lesser trails despite it’s travel.

I also went to look at one of the Orbea Occam 2020 yesterday which was very nice but felt incredibly cramped in the Medium when seated, I’m 5’9 and a bit.

Cotic flareMax 120 rear 140 front was my ideal ball park travel figures but is a bit much money for the spec If I’m honest.

Any impressions on the Bird or alternatives that I m9ight not have thought of?

Sodajim

Sonder Cortex although its only 120mm each end if that’s enough? £2600 gets the GX Eagle Cane Creek version.

Edit, its 130mm on the front

scandal42
    Free Member

Good suggestion but to be brutally honest, I really dislike the look of it.

A bit fickle I know but If i’m spending that much I want to at least like the design of the thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

Whyte s120 or discounted s150 even.

It’s not all about Spec. It’s about how they ride

wors

Was gonna say the Whyte s150 too, or the new Trek Fuel EX, Nukeproof reactor?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Nukeproof Reactor looks good.

JP

joebristol

I ride with someone who has a Bird AM9 (and I have an Aeris 145lt) and it is a lot of bike. Both climb ok for what they are, but light / nimble probably isn’t the description I’d use.

The Whyte s150 is in the same sort of category – it’ll peddle round anything you want it to – but light and nimble it isn’t. All of the above are hard barging / slack enduro bikes really.

However it’s all opinions – I’d recommend you get some test rides and see what feels good. Bird are incredibly good on customer service and they are good value / can be customised to suit your budget. The Aeris 120LT sounds like just what you want, other than it being 650b instead of 29er.

I’d think looking for something 120/130/140mm travel and slightly less long and slack would be where you need to be for what you describe. I’m not up on 29er but there must be loads out there that would suit.

chiefgrooveguru

“So I’m looking at the possibility of complimenting my 140mm 29er hardtail with a 29er full suss.”

What’s your hardtail? I find it easiest to swap between hardtail and full-sus if the bikes are fairly similar apart from the missing rear suspension.

scandal42
    Free Member

Will have a look at the Whyte.

Nukeproof looks fab but a bit spendy on what I’ve seen.

Current bike is a bit niche, Canfield Yelli Screamy, bloody awesome fun.

Will see if I can get a leg over on a large Occam and was always intending to demo the Bird.

ta11pau1

For £250 more you can get the YT Jeffsy CF Pro.

pigyn
    Free Member

Real simple answer is you want the Occam in large. It would be just perfect 👍

scandal42
    Free Member

Probably right Pigyn

I’ll be getting my leg over a large when I can.

That Jeffsy does look very nice but not being able to have a go is a big downside.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Considering the same. Intense Primer might be worth a look, it’s on my list along with the Jeffsy.

matt_outandabout

Don’t bother with the Radon Slide 170.

Fabulous, balanced, fun and hard hit absorbing monster truck. Outrageously capable and fast.

Utterly crap warranty support and a fortnight at a time to answer emails. No phone number. Basically Germans with a gallic shrug attitude. They make OnOne look professional. Avoid.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

What about the Commencal Meta Trail 29? Should be some discounts around at this time of year too. I like to look of the Occam and the Reactor too. Also, the new Kona Process or Scott Genius might be worth a ride.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I demoed an AM9 at Llandegla recently. Had a great trip round the flowy blue trail. Climbed surprising well and got me jumping off every little roller, which I just don’t do on my current stumpy evo.

It’s currently top of my list having also demoed a FlareMax, Scott Genius and a Hightower.

I’m 6’4 and have so far struggled to get a bike that feels long enough. So LLS 29er is where it’s at for me.

The AM9 on paper is too much bike for most of my local riding but it didn’t feel like that at ‘degla.

And take a look at a ruler to see how much difference there is between 120 and 150mm! I think it’s more about the bike than just the travel.

fathomer

I don’t know how much they are but Transition Smuggler or Commencal Meta TR?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Aggressive Trail 29er Full Suss- Bird AM9? – Other suggestions…’ is closed to new replies.