Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Aggressive enduro hardtail/hack frame
  • souster4
    Free Member

Hi guys

I’m looking for a winter hardtail enduro frame, something that climbs, and descends well.

I’m not the best of riders, just want something that can handle steep climbs, without the BB being too low that it crank strikes, to do small amounts of XC or winch up hills, and can point it downhill with a big smile. Steep techy descents too.

Budget is around £200/300.

I had the 2018 Dartmoor primal 27.5 in mind, but their black frame isn’t available in my size untill October. Is it worth holding out for it?

Or

Sonder transmitter

On one Dee Dar

Any suggestions? Experiences on any of the above?

Thanks alot

joebristol

I’m loosely toying with this idea But don’t have funds yet. Building new wheels soon for my fs which frees up some 27.5 wheels. Got a 26er at the moment – most of the bits aside from the form and headset would move over nicely with said spare wheels.

I’ve ruled the Dee Dar out but can’t remember why – maybe it’s not got a boost rear end which is what I’ll need.

The Dartmoor is the same, the Vitus hardtail frames are also the same.

Inlike  the look of the Airdrop Bitmap / Bird Zero Am boost but both are over that budget. Similar budget is a Cotic Bfe I believe.

Not looked at the transmitter but it’s had good reviews from what I’ve seen.

Do nukeproof do a 27.5” Scout frame only?

edit – I think I saw a Whyte 909 frame  only in Large on eBay the other day. Could be worth a look?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Slight hijack, anyone suggest something similar in 29″?

I’d really like something like a Last Fastforward, but half the price (singlespeed would be nice but I can live with a tensioner).

kayla1
    Free Member

What size? I possibly might have a mk1 16.5″ Switchback frame for sale…

weeksy

Parkwood frames may fit the bill and used are £100.

joebristol

https://www.bikeactive.com/Mobile/nukeproof-scout-275-frame-2018-c2x24665148

I’m not sure who bike active are, but they seem to have the scout 275 frame only. Think it looks really nice.

souster4
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

The nukeproof scouts are fully out of stock, bikes and frames.

Air drop and bird are totally out of my price range.

I’d be looking at large frames

joebristol

What about the Sonder Transmitter mentioned above – they have frames in large available and they’re £300?

kazafaza
    Free Member

Last year’s Genesis Tarn on biketart? And I can buy the forks off you to meet the budget 😉

nickfrog
    Free Member

2018 Commencal META AM HT would do the trick too

tom13
    Free Member

Vitus Sentier look good if you can find a cheap bike or frame

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I have a Ragley Big wig which ive really enjoyed riding, its fast, has a steepish seat angle so climbs well and is fun downhill. But I’m going down to just 1 full sus bike so its for sale. Its an xl and is good for  me at 5 ft 11. I’m not after loads if anyone is interested?

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 Whyte 901 and it serves exactly the purpose that you are looking for.

I’t’s evolved into something a fair bit burlier than the stock build (Pikes, wider bars, dropper, 30mm rims etc), but even before that it was a right laugh on singletrack/techy stuff.

It’s comfy on long hacks, stable on the downs, yet it will happily launch off everything, and has got me out of a lot of trouble (that it also got me into).

My only issue with it is the rear tyre clearance is rubbish (which is accentuated by unnecessarily wide rims). The 17/18 models are far better in this respect though (they’re plus friendly IIRC)

£200 SH should get you a really nice one 🙂 The 90x frames from a certain year are all basically the same except for a few details like seat clamp. I think they 17 onwards dropped front mech support so got more clearance through that as well, and went boost at some point.

Out of the other frames mentioned, I’d eliminate some for the following reasons:

– Parkwood – High TT, short reach, a bit old school in geo.

– Meta HT – Notoriously harsh

souster4
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys.

Would the commencal Meta HT be harsh even with WT tyres, 2.6/2.8?

The whyte bikes that would suit my needs generally have a BB that’s too low to suit my riding/trials.

It’s looking like I’ll be holding out for the dartmoor primal when that arrives in my size

RichT

I’ve got a large, black Primal+ frame (29er or 27.5 Plus) that I am about to strip down. Would sell with headset and BB for £100 plus postage.

dirkpitt74

I’ve got a large Dartmoor Primal frame in petrol that isn’t being used – still boxed.

Pictures Here

It’s the 2016 version which will take either 26 or 650b. Non boost and rear is QR.

Review of it Wide-open Dartmoor Primal review

PM me if interested.

5lab

i’ve got a hornet (also dartmoor) for this use. Bit longer, bit slacker, much beefier than the primal. Also a tad heavier 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d look out for a secondhand Cotic BFe or Orange Crush frame.

Or maybe this (look at the “night sky” paintjob!)…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ns-bikes-eccentric-alu-evo-27-5-frame-2018/rp-prod165875

gribble
    Free Member

Dirk, how does it compare size wise to a L Bfe (previous generation)?

dirkpitt74

@gribble can’t post pic from my phone for some reason.

Here’s the link to the classic bfe geometry:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/classic_BFe26#sizing

Link to Dartmoor article with geometry on Pinkbike:

https://m.pinkbike.com/u/dart-bikes/blog/dartmoor-techtalk-1-frames-primal-amp-hornet.html

Seem fairly close at first glance.

guandax
    Free Member

Get a steel frame. Stanton Switchback or Cotic BFE

jonnym92

You can get the non-boosted Pace RC127 for £319 I think. They have a boost version and are bringing a new frame out next year. Do everything on mine, love it!

Yep, it’s here http://www.pacecycles.com/shop/rc127-frame-only-in-yellow

teethgrinder

I had a 26″ early BFe frame – the Gen2 I think.  That felt really harsh, although capable.  Changed it for the Gen3 with the 44mm head tube and 27.5″ – that felt loads less harsh, even with 26″ wheels.  Mind, I also went from 150mm  1 1/8″ Revs to tapered Yari’s at 160mm, but even so, felt like night and day in comparison.

It also had a bit more reach.  The 2 felt odd with a >50mm stem, but at 50mm the front end was almost too easy to lift up.  The 3 feels just right at 50mm.

I paid £180 second hand for the Gen3, and it was a useful stopgap between the Spitfire (R.I.P.) and the HB160.

I could be very tempted by a Sick! Wulf to replace it, though.

wl
    Free Member

P7 or Crush might fit the bill, second hand.  Love my P7 – does everything well, from steep and techy to 30+ Pennine miles. Got the 650b one with 140mm Pikes.  Very winter-poof too.

Mattbike

Onza Jackpot or Payoff. Ridden my Payoff for a year. Handling is great, descends nicely, climbs ok although rider could do better.  I’m single speeding it for the winter.

hopefiendboy

Hi see my advert for privee Shan GT fella would suit the remit….

nickfrog
    Free Member

Z Would the commencal Meta HT be harsgo h even with WT tyres, 2.6/2.8?

No. You have to put things in perspective anyway, no aluminium hardtail is ever going to be plush. The difference in harshness between 2 such frames are very small. The 2018 version is certainly more comfy that the 2017 version was on the same tyre. That’s based on experience not “notoriety”.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Aggressive enduro hardtail/hack frame’ is closed to new replies.