• This topic has 80 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gonzy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Ageing parents
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Bloody hell they are a worry, not going into details just venting really.

ton

agree mate. my mum is coming up 80. we stumble along weekly with problem after problem.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Well , only the one to worry about. I do though, as she is getting slower, grumpier and undoubtedly lonelier. 80 next year and still scooting about like a mad thing. I sometimes think the grumpy bit works in their favor though, keeps them going type of thing.

crankboy
    Free Member

mine is 86 , she is still pretty sprightly but can be a tad draining with constant culture clashes with the modern world mostly Facebook telephones and washing machines on the other hand she can be incredibly supportive of her sons when needed. She was an evacuee nearly killed by childhood illness lost her father and brother early, and went on to raise three boys the first two in a house heated by scrap wood boiling nappies in a bucket on the stove . Looking at that it is always easy to cut her a bit of slack when she needs help to debug a computer change a light bulb or listen to her endless tails of dealing with call centres.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My own are 71 and 77 so not so worrying yet. In-laws are 88 and 80 so I have a bit of a preview. Yes worrying indeed,

jam-bo

its payback…

MoreCashThanDash

We have a full set still, thankfully, but aged 74, 78 and 80. All still have their marbles, all on a cocktail of medecines, one diabetic, two with cataracts, one just started having TIAs.

All have wills and powers of attorney in place, but dreading the day we need to use them.

br
    Free Member

I was chatting to a colleague last week who’s folks (and inlaws) are about the same ages as mine (all +75 y/o).

One thing we’d both noticed is that they’ve gone from doing their own thing, to then asking for advice and now are at the ‘what should I do’ stage.

We’re just converting an outbuilding to be a granny annex for mine, so will be easier all round, but my MIL is 400 miles away and 60 years of smoking is now seriously impacting her…

takisawa2

My step Dad is convinced everyone is out to fleece him.
    Eg: they will only deal with British Gas, convinced anyone else will rob them, when the reality is BG see them as a cash cow with them signed up for every add-on insurance under the sun. Council tax, always paid in full, in cash, over the counter the day its due, because Direct Debit means they can just take money whenever it suits them. When they ran a car, they would catch the bus to another town, because they had a Swintons office, who again robbed them blind, but he was convinced if he ever had a bump the Swinton’s staff would sort it all out for him. And they’ll only get worse.

brooess
    Free Member

My brother’s in Ireland and never comes back to the UK. I remember how he was treated as a kid so I don’t hold this against him, but it does mean the care burden will be fully borne by me, which will take up a lot of time and travelling when the time comes.

So far my parents are still in very good health (79 and 77 respectively) quite amazingly so (having had her lens replaced during a cataract op last year my mum now has better eyesight than me!) but I suspect decline will come on slowly over the next few years.

They’re both rather stubborn, so I’m sure there’ll be challenging times. Main thing is I’m hoping they don’t get dementia or Altzheimers, I’d rather they go relatively quickly. Although seeing my mate’s grief shortly after Xmas this year after his Mum died rather unexpectedly (and quickly) of cancer I’m not sure it’s much fun in any circumstances. My parents are very sensible with their cash so at least we’ll be able to pay for whatever care they need…

This is going to be a bigger and bigger issue over the next 20-30 years as middle-aged parents try to care for their own kids as well as hold their jobs down and care for their declining parents – with smaller sums of money available to provide the care… I reckon we’ll see a lot more 3-generation families in the same house than we do now…. cheaper and less time-consuming. Challenging for those who currently rent their homes (can’t imagine my landlord being happy with me moving my Mum in!) or work in the SE because that’s where the jobs are, miles away from their parents. My Dad solved that one with his Mum by moving her to him but that may not be practicable in all cases

Andy-R

My in-laws are 88 and 84 and still manage most things on their own but we still seem to spend a chunk of the weekend sorting stuff out for them.
    My mother is nearly 99 and still living at home, but, luckily for us my brother, who’s four years younger than me and single, is pretty much her full time carer now – he’s retired early to do so. My Dad was 16 years older than my mother and he died at the the age of 94 about twenty years ago.

The thing we constantly come back to is “when is it our turn to just be able to enjoy our lives?” As well as running around after our parents we now have our daughter, who’s married with three children (4 and twins of 2) constantly turning to us for help, as her husband has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia (but won’t submit to any treatment for it), has left home and gone back to doss with his parents. He’s not working and although he’s still being paid at the minute that won’t go on for ever, doesn’t shave or wash and looks like Robinson Crusoe and lately gets involved in scuffles with the rozzers after provoking behaviour at a nightclub. **** knows what will happen but at the minute I’m trying to do some outside work to earn money ( fencing, tree work) work on our own house (render, roof work, exterior and interior painting) and then supply our daughter with firewood, have our oldest grandson most weekends and generally run myself ragged.

As I keep reminding everyone – we’re not 40 anymore – I’m nearly 64 and my wife is 60 (and working full time) and it gets bloody harder every year. Then people wonder why I don’t have the time or energy for as much riding as I used to do.
    Thank God that we get away to Greece for as long as we do – it’s all that keeps us (especially my wife) sane. Even when we’re there every email or phone call threatens to bring more doom and gloom down on our heads.
    And now I look at so many of my contemporaries, like poor old Mart Lampkin yesterday, and think “is that all this **** life has in store for me now?”
    Some days, especially when it’s dark, wet, and dismal like today I could just sit and cry about it all if only I had the time.

MoreCashThanDash

Andy R – when I had my mini meltdown at the start of the year, one of the first questions the GP and counsellor asked related to my caring responsibilities, so it’s a known issue, even if the solution isn’t.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My parents are old fashioned, dim witted, poor decision makers, bigoted and stubborn as a red wine stain on a drunken polar bear.

They are kind and charitable to others. Treat others equal.

I feel like I’m the parent! 👿

2tyred

Hear you dude, completely.

Dad (determinedly living alone with myriad health & neuro issues) discharged unexpectedly from hospital on Thursday, panic attack on Saturday “I think I need to be back in hospital”, back in hospital Saturday, yesterday morning: “why the hell have you sent me back to hospital? I want to go home right now! I don’t need anyone’s help!”

Sister and I concerned we’ve missed the power of attorney boat.

FFS.

rocketman
    Free Member

Tell me about it

And not only me – friends relatives colleagues all going through the same thing. When is you life taken off hold when do you draw a line in the sand and do no more

A long time ago a near neighbour died and I went round to offer my condolences to her son. He said he didn’t feel grief or sorrow that his mum had died it was ‘a release’. At the time I thought what a strange thing to say but now I realise what he meant

br
    Free Member

This is going to be a bigger and bigger issue over the next 20-30 years as middle-aged parents try to care for their own kids as well as hold their jobs down and care for their declining parents

Yep, especially now with folk having their kids later. At least mine are grown up, can’t imagine what it’d be like if I’d had then in my early 40’s rather than early 30’s.

woody2000

We’ve got a mixed bunch really – my Dad is 82 this year and is starting to struggle a little; macular degeneration in one eye, diabetes and a dicky leg means he struggles to walk far. Mum is 78 and in generally good health though does have diabetes. OH’s Dad has dementia @ 68 (diagnosed @ 62) and needs full time care. OH’s Mum (divorced from Dad) is also 68 and in good health though has arthritis in both hands and a dodgy knee – nothing that stops her though, she’s a “doer” 🙂

We are both pretty young (40’s) and have a young family, so if and when we need to start caring for any of them it will be hard, but we’ll just have to crack on. They did it for us for long enough I guess 🙂

Daffy

This terrifies me. My parents are currently over 400 miles away and whilst not in any difficulty yet, are rapidly approaching retirement age.

FuzzyWuzzy

My parents are both late 70’s now, both were in good health but my mum’s battling cancer at the mo (has been for a few months now) and how frail she’s gotten is a wake up call. Fortunately my dad’s still in good health so is able to cope and I’m only an hour’s drive away – not sure how I’d manage though if my dad needed care as well.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m 43 and my wife 40.
    My folks are 72/70 and hers are 10 years younger at 62/60.

So far we’ve been lucky – my Mum and Dad did live 50 miles away but last year moved to a warden attended retirement flat 15 mins from our house (result!)

My in-laws are about 40mins drive away.

I’m now an only child (my brother died 2 years ago) so I know my wife and I will be dealing with all this at some point.

My wife has two sisters (one of which is estranged) however both sisters are worse than useless so I know we’ll end up doing the grown-up stuff with my in-laws when the time comes.

Happy Days. ;o(

Andy-R

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Andy R – when I had my mini meltdown at the start of the year, one of the first questions the GP and counsellor asked related to my caring responsibilities, so it’s a known issue, even if the solution isn’t.

Thanks for that, man – and yes, we’ll just keep on keeping on, I suppose because there’s not really any alternative – not one that bears any resemblance to decent human behaviour anyway.
    Although my brother lives with my mother (and has done for years anyway) anything remotely practical that needs doing I get the phone call – shed roof leaking? Don’t you go up there and do it, just phone your brother……who has more than enough of his own work, thank you.

The trouble is that I don’t actually feel that much affection for my mother – when I was young I was (literally) the whipping boy on who she took out all the frustration in her life and although, as an adult, I told myself to forgive and forget and while I can, to an extent forgive, I can never forget.

Anyway, enough of that shit – I’m more fortunate than many. I have a wife who I adore and more importantly, for some weird reason, seems to adore me in return. That gets me through a lot – that, and riding nice bikes in beautiful places, doing occasional music stuff and (strangely) working with nice chainsaws. All these force ypu to deal with the job in hand and forget all the other crap for a while…….

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It worries me. We have 3 out of four alive and relatively (very) healthy. All in late 60’s but besides a dodgy knee / mild arthritis, all social, happy and independent. We live in Thailand with parents in England / Ireland so when taking about our long-term plans, parents and their need for care is the elephant in the room. We’ve seen other ex-pats head home in their mid-forties (wife and I are 32 and 38 respectively) as their parents and. It certainly plays on my mind.

My wife and I were blessed with wonderful parents so certainly can’t or won’t resent looking after them. We both have good relationships with siblings (2 each) but the onus will be on us to pull our weight when the time comes.

Moses

I’ve got both still living, both 91, both okish at the moment. Both still drive, which is a worry. My father can still walk 5 miles if he puts his mond to it, but my mother, hardly at all. I;’ll know more after seeing them this weekend, as they’re nearly 300 miles away.
    I’m rather hoping that they drive over a cliff together before it all gets too bad for them, or that my brother supplies them with some long sleep pills.
    In practice, it’s likely that one will end up living with us.

Dickyboy

BR +1 luckily all my kids are now 20+ elderly father spends 6 months with me and 6 months with my sister in Africa, at some point he will become unable to fly & one of us will be the loser in life’s little lottery 😮 in the meantime I am learning a huge amount about choices in life, as they say either be an example or be a warning

kcal

My mum’s 90 now, and staying in very sheltered accommodation.
    Getting progressively deaf – very deaf – and sight not great, obvious needs a lot of care (which the housing provide) and severe mobility problems. But visit her twice a week, get her round to our house, and generally keep her thinking and happy as we can.

Lucky in that we moved back to be nearer her (and my dad when he was alive) as this was becoming problem. No one else in family to share with as only child. Luckily wife’s folks are also – now – in the same town so that gives some continuity. They’re a bit younger, though not necessarily in much better physical shape !

digga
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a shed project; hybrid mobility scooter / Ducati 951.

It’s what they’d want.

(It is actually how I’d want to go anyway.)

gonzy
    Free Member

i was the main carer for both of my parents for around 10 years before they both passed away….was always difficult in dealing with their care and trying to lead a normal life.
    rest of my family were there but they were there to do the jobs that i couldnt do due to work commitments etc.
    dad died 12 years ago and mum 9 years ago.

but now the wife is getting close to where i was with my parents. father in law is in his early to mid 80’s and mother in law mid to late 60’s. both have various underlying health issues which means that they really do need professional care for certain things and more care and support from the rest of the family.
    problem is that they’re just too bloody stubborn to ask for help even though they know they are both pretty much incapable of looking after themselves let alone each other.
    its hard for my wife as we live nearly 2 hours away but there are 2 of her sisters who live nearby and between them they do most things for them but i dont think its fair that theyre running themselves into the ground like that….there are 2 brothers who are very bone idle and do very little…one of them lives next door.

dannybgoode

I am not sure whether I’m lucky (lucky perhaps being an entirely inappropriate choice of a word but it’ll have to do) to have lost both my parents relatively young (dad 69 & mum 70).

Yes it’s been incredibly tough, particularly my mum, but both achieved pretty much everything they wanted to in life, both got to meet their grandkids, neither went on to a long protracted terminal decline.

Yes I sound have loved to have had another 10 or 15 years with my mum but would it have been quality time (for her as much as everyone else).

Tough call…

jamj1974

It is a really sad thing to witness. I hope I go at a fairly advanced age but still go suddenly, independent and with my marbles intact.

bigh
    Free Member

Very hard. The wife and I are going through the mill with our respective parents. Utterly knackered by the whole thing.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Three words.

Power of Attorney.

Get them signed up, all of them, before they really need it. Just starting to help out with my parents, only to find that the PoA document is cocked up and doesn’t allow us to do what we want. Doh…but shouldn’t be too much trouble to fix, I hope.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Just spent 11 hours in A + E with my 64 year old dad who is suffering from acute dementia,

he,s type 2 diabetic and was placed into emergency EMI care 1 weeks ago today, after my mum had a stroke

the so called care home forgot to tell the staff he was diabetic on the shift changeover so he had a hypo and assaulted another patient,

so they popped him in an ambulance on his own and sent him to A + E it took the care home 3 hours before they told me, and when they did, it was to inform me that they’ve decide they don’t want him back.

Ive now got to explain to mum at some point, that my dad dads homeless because he’s not aloud to be on his own. he cant come live with me because he’s now registered as violent.

hes now sectioned under the ment health act my brother said he,s just got in and is going to chill for a bit.

and my sister said it to much and she cant deal with it.

i feel like my heads going to explode

Northwind

TBH nonaging parents would be worrying too.

Nothing compared to some others but my dad’s gone mostly blind in the space of 2 years, he’ll be down to bright/dark soon, and his general health’s not good… I’m incredibly proud of how he’s dealt with it but still… My mum has COPD, a respiratory condition- she’s not as bad as she could be but still, pretty much crippled and everything’s hard work and it’s really ground her down. So neither is really able to look after the other now, and they’re only in their 70s. It’s all been so damn fast, watching their worlds shrink, they’ve become old people, like that. My grandma and grandad both lived well (in both senses) into their 90s and I take it for granted, but my mum won’t and my dad probably not and it’s just… life, you know.

I’m not usually a childish person but it makes me want to stamp my foot and say it’s all unfair. I’ve had some bad medical crap in my own life and just dealt with it but when my dad got his diagnosis I wanted to hit a doctor.

<edit- sorry, that’s quite whiney. But all my sympathy, to everyone>

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Just spent the weekend with the wife’s parents so this is a topic that is close to home for me. They’re not that old as things go. Late 60s. FiL is in good shape, but his wife is absolutely batshit. She refuses to drive, her short term memory is rapidly deteriorating and she thinks Jesus is talking to her. I don’t mean he’s saying “do good and be a nice old bat”, but things like “you need to wear brown pants today”, or “have bacon for breakfast”. That sort of thing.

He is basically an unpaid carer for someone with mental problems. I’m not sure if I would stay with my partner if she went down that route. There’s something profoundly sad about seeing someone trapped in a hopeless situation like that.

On the other hand, I can see how it can be a relief when someone passes if they’re like that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

its payback…

Too bloody true!

My Dad had bad Parkinsons & quite often couldn’t make it to the loo cos his legs wouldn’t work, so I would clean him up eventually & say, ‘your’e just getting me back for all the nappy changing you had to do aren’t you’? He had a great sense of humour & would say, ‘Yep, I knew I’d get you back one day son’

Funny as owt really & didn’t mind one bit.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

OK. Been through this over the last few years.first thing. Get the house signed over early on. Because when they need to be in a home the cost will be over a grand a week. If they have assets they will be taken. This will be one of the hardest conversations you will ever have. It could save you a few hundred thousand pounds.
    Have a lot more conversation with your folks even if they are fine, because when they go, you’ll miss every talk you didn’t have.
    It’s a world of hurt. What you do with them before they get really bad will help you so much when they are gone. I cannot emphasise how much good photos,videos and memories will help you.

Clover

My parents went to live in Germany (my dad is German) about 20 years ago. What happens when they do really start to get decrepit is a worry.

We had a scare last year when my dad went awol and ended up in a Belgian hospital. Turns out he’d left his passport at the X Ray machine in Gatwick so was refused entry to the plane he was catching and decided ‘just to get the train’ but didn’t eat or drink so ended up confused on a station platform in Belgium. All ok now but a bit absent minded and needs to stop getting stressed. He runs his own business. And is 75.

My mum detached her retina whilst driving home from this incident. She says she has realised they are no longer superhuman (which they honestly were, my dad escaped from the Stasi).

I’d like to see them having a bit more fun to be honest – you can see life becoming finite however much you don’t want to believe it and they’ve worked really hard and I would like to see them enjoying the time they have got left.

Of course none of their delightful children live in Germany so we swan over in rotation to try and persuade/help them to retire. So far it’s only working very slowly.

donks
    Free Member

Health wise my mum is just about getting by but financially she’s crippled. She’s 69 working full time with a £90’000 mortgage to pay…. By next year.
    She will have no choice than to sell up and move. She’ll never afford anywhere with the tiny bit of equity and only has a state pension when her work contract expires next year. I’ve tried to broach the subject but she’s avoiding it. Thing is it’s causing stress in my marriage as there’s every possibility I’ll have to step in and cover her bills which we can’t afford. Our house isn’t big enough for her to move in and the wife doesn’t get on great with her so it’s a non starter.
    Right now her retirement just isn’t an option but she’ll really struggle to find work after next year so we’re all kind of dreading the approaching spectre. Looks like retirement’s not all its cracked up to be.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I have to ask, how/why did she arrange a large mortgage with no means of paying it back?

metalheart
    Free Member

Sorry.
    Probably best not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Ageing parents’ is closed to new replies.