• This topic has 39 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Afternoon narcolepsy.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

I get sleepy every afternoon around 230. It is irrelevant what I have eaten or how much sleep I had last night, I always go into full nodding dog mode and need a bed. It’s a bloody nightmare at work with nowhere to sleep.
    Does anyone else get this? Am I ill?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What you need is what my mammy would call  ” a  wee hour in the shawl”

wwaswas

Watch with Mother and then a snooze.

You know it makes sense.

(also, me too)

ton

I get it too.
    old man thing isn’t it…………. ;o)

5plusn8
    Free Member

I know what I need, there is nowhere in the office where I can get it.

daftvader
    Free Member

i am exactly the same… i put it down to 11 years as a postie… come home from a day and have a snooze

funkmasterp

14:00 every day without fail. I thought it was just me. Don’t think it’s an old man thing though. I’m early forties and it’s been happening for as long as I can remember.

martinhutch

It’s OK. You’re probably just Spanish.

14:00 every day without fail.

WAKE UP!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

lol Perchy, I still say that to myself now and again, how I could do with it…

jimmy

I used to be worse when I was mid-twenties, fell asleep while my boss was demo’ing something on his screen once. Probably my weekend activities didn’t help at the time.

However, I noticeably get it now after a big lunch of carbs. Stick to a carb-lite meal, or at least plenty of veg / salad alongside it. I hit the canteen’s salad buffet and generally feel fine (from a baseline of already fancying a snooze).

siwhite
    Free Member

Why not move your meal break to 1400hrs, and go for a snooze in the car? Al Desko sandwich at 1200hrs while you are still working, then nip out for some shuteye early afternoon?

siwhite
    Free Member

Or get it medically confirmed by a GP that you require a siesta, and your employer may be required to provide a quiet room for a sleep. Boss would probably be reluctant to do that, mindful that all your colleagues might fancy the idea themselves…

DezB
    Free Member

Micronaps at my desk. Mostly down to boredom.
    Best thing is the full on dreams you can have in just a few seconds of nodding off. Keeps me entertained for the afternoon that.

fettlin

Later in the evening, after work is always a risk for me.

If i get in from work and go straight out with the hounds, cook tea, mow the lawn etc. then i am fine, but if i sit down with a brew and rest, i struggle to stay awake long enough to drink it!

Always put it down to an age thing, but recently its become apparent that it goes hand in hand with my general lack of fitness! The less fit I am, the more tired I get.

wwaswas

My brother fell asleep while listening to a candidate give an answer during an interview.

howarthp

I fell asleep while my boss was talking to me – it was in my first proper job. I wasn’t fired!

Always suffered with afternoon tiredness.

perchypanther
    Free Member

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

wwaswas

cat nap perchy?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Do you drink coffee? I stopped a while ago and that is the major difference i found. The post lunch crash is gone

toby1

Hydration, water, not tea?
    Serious medical condition? Low blood sugar, blood pressure problems?
    Ride to work and burn out mid-afternoon?
    Just a fan of napping?

So many possible reasons. I’m no doctor, but may be worth getting a general health check if you haven’t had one for a long time.

perchypanther
    Free Member

cat nap perchy?

Sorry, drifted off there for a minute.

Was on a China Cruise in the disabled loo.

DezB
    Free Member

Just had one reading this thread 😆

madhouse

If I drink too much coffee I get that too. Generally ok if I stick to tea though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I get the same and I only have coffee first thing in the morning. Redbush tea rest of the day.

It’s something that started in last few years (mid 40s). Though it mostly happens on days I’m in the office and I suspect it’s just tedium. When working from home I mix up the day with a variety of things, bits of work, house stuff, bike fettling even, more work. Day is spread out, I can get more done (unless it’s really tedious work I’d rather not do) and don’t tend to snooze in the afternoon.

Though it’s probably good to snooze in the afternoon anyway. Think we Brits should be more into siestas but we hate Europe so can’t be doing with foreign ideas like that. Plus it’s connected with warm weather, which we’re not blessed with.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I work 12.5 hour shifts, a mix of days and nights. When I’m on an off-day I find it hard not to fall asleep in the afternoon unless I have a specific task to do (work around the house, bicycle maintenance etc). If I sit down on the couch there is a good chance I’ll fall asleep.

Part of this is likely as a side effect of the Venlafaxine I take but no doubt it’s also part of the aging process combined with a variable shift pattern/working nights.

kelron
    Free Member

Entirely normal circadian rhythm to get sleepy in the afternoon.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I don’t usually get out my kip till about half 11, kinda solves this problem! 😆

matt_outandabout

On Saturday I managed a BBQ, a beer, a seat on a big outdoor sofa thing with mrs_oab cuddled in – woke up 30mins later.

The rest of the room were laughing at me.
    First time I’ve ever managed it.

welshfarmer

Ha. I have debated starting a similar thread for a while but was worried I would have been ridiculed for my daily post-lunch snooze. Seems I am not alone though 🙂 My father did it, my grandfather did it, and it seems I do too now I am the wrong side of 50. Lunch about 12.30 and then either fall asleep in the chair or on sofa, then back to the grindstone at 2. Tis one of the perks of being self employed and living and working on site.

Rich_s

Blood / sugar dip after lunch is how I’ve always how I’ve understood it / explained it.

Try being a trainer when you know darn well that 80%+ of the room will go through the same thing within a few minutes of each other… just as I’m trying to have a nap while talking about insurance law or some such delight.

Anyway, I always have a break 2.30 or 2.45 for 15 mins, or tell a few gags or something to try and help. I always find that it’s the worst time to set an exercise too, as inevitably people slack off.

jimmy

Best thing is the full on dreams you can have in just a few seconds of nodding off.

I once fell asleep on the Italian motorway driving guests to the airport. Must have been seconds but in those seconds I dreamt I was back and my girlfriend shouted at me “YOU FELL ASLEEP?!!!” loud enough to wake me up with a start.

Been a while since I thought about that. Friggin lucky I had that dream.

molgrips
    Free Member

I get the same and I only have coffee first thing in the morning.

I’ve read that this is the worst thing to do. Something to do with making you dependent on caffeine instead of waking up properly yourself. Caffeine lasts for 8-12 hours in your body so you could be feeling its effects wear off around early afternoon.

Try moving the coffee (at least the caffeinated one) from breakfast to after lunch. But stick with it for 2 weeks to evaluate the results.

drnosh
    Free Member

Huh. Long queue in the fish and chip shop one Friday evening, leaning against the wall, warm, eyes heavy, yep you guessed it……ZZZzzzzzz…..standing up. Lady fryer though that it was most amusing.

Spin
    Free Member

Man the f*ck up and boost on through is the obvious answer. It’s shameful that it took 30 odd posts for someone to say it.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Sleep apnea. Just because you’re ‘alseep’, doesn’t mean you’re getting quality sleep.

RustySpanner

Hmm.

12 hour shifts here too.

I usually try and have a kip in the car on my break.
    45 minutes sees me right for the rest of the shift.

Only have one coffee a day when I get into work. Will cut that out and see how it goes….
    Have started sleeping more as I get older, I used to get by on five hours a night, just not possible any more.

garage-dweller

I occasionally get this a bit later. Carb heavy lunch may be a contributor and here I am wide awake at 11.15 (pm)!

scotroutes

I once fell asleep on the Italian motorway driving guests to the airport. Must have been seconds but in those seconds I dreamt I was back and my girlfriend shouted at me “YOU FELL ASLEEP?!!!” loud enough to wake me up with a start.

I once fell asleep on my way home after a night shift, long enough that I missed my junction off the Western Approach Road.

I was riding a Suzuki…..

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ever been checked for diabetes? One of my symptoms before I was diagnosed was getting really fatigued (ok, also wasn’t sleeping as I was up all night peeing and drinking fluids and excessively thirsty, but still, diabetes was the first thing that came to mind).

DezB
    Free Member

Man the f*ck up and boost on through is the obvious answer. It’s shameful that it took 30 odd posts for someone to say it.

You may think that. But nobody else knows what the **** you’re on about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Afternoon narcolepsy.’ is closed to new replies.