Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Aftermarket Shock Question
  • ehrob

I was posting last week about a new (piggyback) shock for a Transition Scout.

I have come to the conclusion that what I require is something that performs similarly to my Monarch Debonair (which I like) but with a piggyback for better performance on sustained descents. This was confirmed during my riding at Torridon over the weekend.

Due to several factors (lack of stock options of other shocks, cost, and the fact that I like the Monarch), the Monarch Plus is a front runner. It’s not a flash option, but it ticks the boxes.

My question relates to shock tune. I know Monarchs come with various rebound/compression tunes (Scout is LL I think). If I were to buy my shock from TF Tuned, would they simply send me the correct shock, or is there more to what they do to “Set-up the shock for you, your bike and the way you ride (fitting a new spring if necessary)”.

I do intend to speak to them about this, but wondered what others thought before I did. I’m trying to weigh up whether it’s worth paying TF a bit more for a shock, or simply sourcing the correctly tuned version from somewhere a bit cheaper.

Cheers

ehrob

Will be speaking to TF Tuned today.

My 2 options for a Transition Scout are:

1. 2017 Float X
    2. 2017 Monarch Plus

Price is pretty similar for either so not a consideration.

Which shock, and why?

Thanks

chiefgrooveguru

Ask TF, they know their stuff!

poah
    Free Member

coil IL, none of this air shock pish lol

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Probably not helpful, but what poah said.

Never going back to an air shock, I feel so strongly about that I’m waiting until more metric sized shocks become more available before I move to a new frame.

ehrob

Thanks guys. Without repeating another thread, I do not want a coil shock for a number of reasons, so that’s out. The two options above are the options on the table.

Will have a chat with TF – who incidentally were the ones who suggested a coil perhaps not such a good option with this bike.

Ta

poah
    Free Member

only reason people don’t want a coil is weight but the IL with a valt spring isn’t that much more than a monarch plus and very close to an X2 or db air.

akira

On one doing cheap monarch plus which I think would fit the scout, worth a look but not sure about tuning though. Actually not on on one but planet X…..clickyclickclick

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Hi Ehrob I also have a scout and have just asked TF about a third option which is to tune the shock.
    I’m not sure the plus is going to make a huge difference, for me it’s about the bike really hanging on bigger square edge stuff (this is slightly limited by the travel) and also getting out of its depth on hitting rocky or rooty trails at speed
    I’ve posted on mtbr and I’ve been advised to resize the shim stacks but this is a bit outside my I can’t be bothered level.
    I’ll let you know what they say, the new dbair il or coil looks great but it’s not enough of an upgrade to spend £300 + on.

Edit: £200 for the plus in the correct size at plant x is a bargain though !

ehrob

My reasoning for not wanting a coil is nothing to do with weight. If you speak to TF about the DB IL coil and the Scout the same is also true. The bike runs a 50mm stroke length but runs 30% sag based on manufacturers recommendations. They found that they could not stop the bike blowing through its travel too easily with that shock.

You can run it at less sag of course, but I don’t wish to do that.

Akira – cheers for that. Scout’s shock tune is LL. I don’t know how much difference there is between tunes. Anyone have any ideas?

ehrob

James – sorry, I missed your post.

My reasoning for wanting piggyback is that my bike is going to be doing some riding abroad with long descents. You’re right though – I’m not expecting any general performance increase with a Monarch Debonair Plus.

The bike being overwhelmed as you describe may just be because it’s a shortish travel bike. Square edges I’ve noticed aren’t great, but chopped up, rough stuff is fine for me with the Monarch. A tune will perhaps squeeze a bit more out of it – I’m no expert on that though! Keep us posted.

poah
    Free Member

My reasoning for not wanting a coil is nothing to do with weight. If you speak to TF about the DB IL coil and the Scout the same is also true. The bike runs a 50mm stroke length but runs 30% sag based on manufacturers recommendations.

same leverage ratio as my suppressor, no issues with blowing through travel. I don’t run 35% sag as recommended.

DVO Topaz or ccdb air cs

ehrob

Good that it’s working for you poah. I’m inclined to take TF Tuned’s advice on this given they’ve tried it with the Scout. What sag are you running?

I asked TF about the Topaz – their DVO guy is on leave this week so will be catching up with him when I can. The guy I chatted to suggested it’s worth considering. The unknown-ness of it is the main thing against, but not ruling it out.

DB Air is still possible also. It’s spendy and heavy – they’re the two things I don’t like. But I know they work well and the adjustability is as good as it gets.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Going back to your original question, my Float X has been bloody brillaint, the mid-way ‘trail’ option which I thought would be a bit useless is actually brillaint – it’s a real bonus over a all or nothing switch like on the Canecreek (my riding mate has one). After spending a lot of time with pressures and rebound adjustment etc it really is a trail bike in trail and a DH bike in Descent, at the back anyway.

The one downside is that you can’t really home service them, if that’s not something you’d want to do anyway and/or don’t mind paying £100 a year for up-keep it’s not an issue.

poah
    Free Member

not sure about sag, I’ve tried a few springs too see what I like probably between 25-30% but I’ve not bothered trying to measure it properly. The DVO uses a bladder rather than an IFP so has better small bump sensitivity, I did consider it before the coil. the CCDB air CS is only 100g heavier compared to the monarch in my shock size but I’m not bothered about weight. The DVO is easily tuned too which TF will do for you. which ever one you get make sure you get them to tune it for you which will cost an extra £50 (not the CCDB)

darrenspink
    Free Member

Rockshox tune for the scout used to be mm, didn’t notice it changed recently.

Good price on planet x site, can’t beat that really but If you want to splash out and like tuning things yourself take a look at the DB air IL.

http://www.tftuned.com/shocks/cane-creek/dbair-il/c406

ehrob

Cheers. Picked up a float x brand new for a really good price in the end. Just waiting on the mount kit turning up. Looking forward to getting it up and running next week.

ehrob

So just to update on this – pretty happy. PSI recommendation from fox appears to be garbage, which I guess isn’t unusual. I’m about 175-180lbs kitted up, but running it around 230psi to get the 30% sag I want.

Had the largest size volume spacer in there to start with, and found the ramp on that too much so only ended up using 70% of the travel. Dropped that one spacer size and it feels better – now bottoming a handful of times a ride – less than the Monarch. Might drop the next one down in sometime to see what that feels like.

On the trail it has more grip than the Monarch, noticeable particularly when cornering. It doesn’t get hung up in choppy stuff like the Monarch did either, so it’s a definite improvement.

As with everything though its not perfect. I’m finding I much prefer the feel of it in the middle compression setting. The open setting blows through the middle of the stroke a bit too quick, so it’s a bit wallowy. But I don’t want to up the PSI as the sag is where I want it.

Longer term I suspect a Push tune is on the cards. But won’t do that until its service time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Aftermarket Shock Question’ is closed to new replies.