Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Aftermarket reversing cameras
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning folks

Viewed a van last weekend and the chap had fitted an aftermarket head unit and a Bluetooth reversing camera. (2010 vito)

I’m looking at a different vehicle and am pricing up what this would cost.

I’ve found the head unit, they are an android 7.1 unit that is designed specifically to fit the dash

What’s the best way of fitting a Bluetooth camera to work with one?

Wife has stipulated if we buy a van it has to have a camera. It’s narrowing choices down!

backinireland
    Free Member

Following as thinking of similar.

im happy enough reversing but occasionally have to hitch up a heavy trailer on gravel so it’s not easy dragging it to the towball

seen a camera which displays on your phone which might be easiest for me but maybe not for everyday use.

guess you’ll need a feed from the reversing light to switch it on

trail_rat
    Free Member

I fitted an aftermarket wired one to my iveco.

Hardest part was fishing the wire through. Take that away by going wireless then it’s soooo easy.

Do they do the wireless ones in high level brake light or number plate surrounds ?

If not you may need to consider how you are going to get the cable from inside to outside. -i went with drilling a hole and gland nuts but mines not a classy truck it’s just agricultural and functional.

Personally didn’t want mine off the reverse lights but wanted the ability to have it on when driving forwards to keep an eye on overhang swing that’s why I went wired.

Pay attention to the low light of the cameras. Need to pay good money to get something that works well in low light. Mines wasn’t expensive- but I solved my issue of poor low light performance with a couple of high level 5000lumen reversing spot lights -again probably not a viable option on the sort of van your wanting.

paladin

Separate monitor no good?

I’ve got one where the rear view mirror would be, and 2 cameras to switch between for rear view(horizontal), or reversing (down).

And it’s hardwired, not blutooth.

AlasdairMc

It’ll go into the number plate light. I’m thinking of doing the same for my 2005 Vito but need to sort out the rust issues first. Bluetooth is intriguing as I was expecting to have to feed a cable through.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seperate monitors a bit gash.

I have one but only because my stereos fitted vertically so flip out screens etc are a no go.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’d prefer it to be integrated than a separate monitor. The Dualiners I’m looking at all have rear view mirrors as they have a back window, don’t really want to be trying to remove them and stick a different mirror on.

P20

I fitted one of the eBay kits to the Vivaro. Camera mounted in the handle and separate screen, though it should fit in to a double din unit that can take a camera feed. £28 from memory plus some wire to run it through to the cab.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qTE2yy]Reversing Camera[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pZaAQF]Reversing Camera[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

There are bluetooth versions and ones that mount on the rear view mirror

paladin

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>trail_rat
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Seperate monitors a bit gash

</div>

I quoted that purely so I could add a sad face emoticon. Where have they gone?

I like having the monitor where the mirror would be, and likewise stereo is vertical.

(Although stereo will end up horizontal on top of dash once it’s warm enough for me to play with fibreglass )

chilled76
    Free Member

P20…

How do they know when your car is in reverse?

benjamins11
    Free Member

Ive fitted one to my T5 – its a wireless one which has a cable from the reversing light to power it and a cable into the back of the head unit from the reversing switch to tell it to turn on. Its working on an android head unit. It was about 250 all in, and works really well. I wouldn’t be without it now.

It was a bit fiddly to fit, mainly because the instruction were crap and working out which wire you needed to cut in the main wiring loom was a bit of an arse but nothing horrendous.

alpin
    Free Member

My van had one when I bought it second hand.

Last year the camera fed started playing up. Got a new camera on Amazon, but the angle is a bit shit. Check what the true angle is before you for.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks? The one he had, had am adjustable angle by tho look of it.

Not sure if that’s a good thing or not. Potential to move but also can adjust.

spooky_b329

Have you got an spare DIN slots on your dash? You can get fold out dedicated screens that are neater than a clip on separate monitor.

Beware of the chinese Android head units, they are pretty glitchy, distracting to use and mine ran really hot.  Mine also didn’t work with the Clarion camera already fitted to my van, they claimed the camera was incompatible but I suspect the radio was faulty. (I went for a Sony Android Auto unit in the end but they are a bit spendy)

Mount the camera high looking down, mine has a 100 degree angle to I can see from the towball right up to the following traffic.  A number plate style is better than nothing but not uch use when you are trying to gauge distance from a brick wall.

Wired is better than wireless, I have one of each on a dual input screen, both good enough quality but the wireless does drop out occasionally.  If you want a permanent rear view option you will still need to run a power lead back there anyway.  It might also cause issues with bub failure warnings if you tap into the reverse bulb for power.

jeff

Fitted one to my Accord estate.

Hardest bit was removing all the trim to run the cable to the tailgate.

Was kicking myself – cable that came with the camera felt skinny and poor quality and no surprises, broke at the boot lid hinge after 3 months.

My advice would be to buy some better quality video coax cable if it looks dodgy. Save yourself from having to do the work twice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Mount the camera high looking down, mine has a 100 degree angle to I can see from the towball right up to the following traffic. A number plate style is better than nothing but not uch use when you are trying to gauge distance from a brick wall.”

top advice that , the looking straight back is a nice to have as a second camera but for a primary looking straight down is far superior to a looking backwards one.

Tracey

Had one of these fitted to our camper, with the adittional camera cowl. Its mounted high up and when driving its just like looking in the rear view mirror.
    When reversing the second camera shows up the rear of the van and the area around it.

http://rearviewsystems.drwelectronics.com/rvs12.html

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Aftermarket reversing cameras’ is closed to new replies.