• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by robola.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • After the thread about The English, anyone watching The Peripheral?
  • CountZero

I’m up to EP.6, really enjoying it, however necessary changes have made it a bit confusing when compared to the book, but the attention to detail is excellent.

beaker2135

Yep and I’m loving it. Not read the book though

thols2

I have bugger all idea what’s happening, but enjoying it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Got lost in the book but loving the show.
    Massive Chloe G M fan so no pain involved in watching it.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Like it, no idea how it works?
    Can anyone explain the logic ?

fasthaggis

It trundles along OK.
    Not so keen on the ‘good old boy/dukes of hazards’ bits,and the dim but nice sheriff is a little annoying, but hey ho Andor’s finished,so it’s that or 1899 😃 😉

sirromj

Nope but might give it a go after Tokyo Vice, of which I have 6 more episodes to go. It’s good.

Edit: just read what it is. Sound good. Will definitely give it a go!

nedrapier

Is it about printers etc?

DrJ

Yes I started it but gave up after a bit cos it got too confusing. Not quite Westworld level of confusing but enough so I couldn’t be bothered.

Tokyo Vice is good, though 🙂

Murray

I loved the book and love the series. The plot has changed between the two but they have the same feeling.

Don’t get caught up in the details of how it works, William Gibson’s always been about feelings and atmosphere not facts. The Klept and the Jackpot are the most important concepts of both the book and the series.

prettygreenparrot

Well worth watching. Enjoying it a lot.

Read the book when it came out. Now want to read it again to see the differences.

Agree on the

Don’t get caught up in the details of how it works, William Gibson’s always been about feelings and atmosphere not facts.

thols2

Is it about printers etc?

VR headsets.

jonswhite

Really enjoying it. Best TV I’ve seen for a while ( although I don’t watch much).
    Definitely feels like a William Gibson.

schmung
    Free Member

Loved the book, so was slightly apprehensive about them adapting it, but they’ve done a great job. The changes they’ve made make sense for TV and the production design is top notch (I can even ignore some of the more gratuitous product placement). I think having read the book and knowing what’s going on with the stub (and what one is) probably helps somewhat as don’t recall anyone going full captain exposition in the show to explain it properly.

johnjn2000

Yup, confusing but enjoyable.

desperatebicycle

Yes, but I keep getting mixed up between The Peripheral, The English and SAS Rogue Heroes. I keep expecting Yul Brenner to turn up with a machine gun and pull his face off.

lovewookie

I’m enjoying it. The visuals are quite nice, very much westworldy. which is no bad thing as I really enjoyed that too.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I dunno, the series strikes me as more Avatar-ish than either book did. It’s interesting as tech ideas become more complex how depictions of advanced cultures increasingly resemble traditional tales about magical/enchanted kingdoms.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

the series strikes me as more Avatar-ish than either book did.

The key difference for me being that Avatar was utter tosh and this seems to be quite good (but… ask again after episode 8).

SAS Rogue Heroes

Oh ye gods that. Peaky Blinders in camo gear. I made it only part way through the first episode.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Utterly lost on what is happening but the London scenes are shot close to the office. It’s cool seeing recognizable spots and knowing that the corner they are standing on doesn’t lead to the next road they walk down.

wordnumb
    Free Member

The key difference for me being that Avatar was utter tosh and this seems to be quite good (but… ask again after episode 8).

Yeah, it’s certainly less Smurfy. The book(s) get more into the idea behind stubs, weightier and darker than the way the series treats the interface between different timelines. But there’s only so much you can do within a TV format without alienating casual viewers.

walowiz

Really enjoying it, the future London scenes are very well done. Like others, a lot of the London stuff has been shot near to my work, which is quite cool.
    Like a lot of this genre it’s best not to look too close at the detail & just enjoy it. Casting is superb, Chloe G as usual is excellent.

One of the best sci Fi series for a while. Might even read the book now.

desperatebicycle

Peaky Blinders in camo gear. I made it only part way through the first episode.

Funnily enough, I hated the first episode. It got much better though. And its all TRUE!! 😄

sirromj

Yes really enjoying it! It’s interrupted my binging of Tokyo Vice for longer than expected. There’s a bit in one of the episodes I found really grim. Not finding it particularly confusing, have watched quite a lot of mind scrambling stuff over the past few decades though 😀

Poopscoop

Yep, it’s my “must watch” series at the moment.👍

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I read the book a couple of years ago and the series is… alright? I’m not a fan of some of the changes although I appreciate that some changes are probably in order for TV. The scenes in London let it down I think – I just don’t buy some of the characters, some of them are way over the top IMO. Maybe the scenes in the stub just better match my idea of it from the book.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s cool seeing recognizable spots and knowing that the corner they are standing on doesn’t lead to the next road they walk down.

Try living in Cardiff and watching Dr Who. The main streets are easy to spot but the more you know the city the more you recognize random suburban side streets and buildings.

CountZero

Just come back to this having sparked it off! Having just finished re-reading one of the Culture books, I’m now re-reading The Periferal, just to reacquaint myself with the story. As a couple of people have said, there’s big chunks taken out, but in all honesty, it would have probably made it just as confusing, because events would take place much more slowly, and through a much longer series. I’ve not seen anything with Chloë in before, but she’s perfect as Flynn, and Burton and the other Haptic Reconn guys are pretty much as I’d imagined them. As are those in ‘Future London’, Ash in particular, with her tattoos and the weird ‘language’ she shares with Ossian, and they’ve even got her eyes right, which most wouldn’t notice. Lowbeer is a great bit of casting, too.
    Be nice to hope it’s been successful enough for Agency to follow on.

’Course, then we’ll have to wait for Gibson to finish book three… (drums fingers…)

prettygreenparrot

I’ve not seen anything with Chloë in before

🤯

Not ‘Kick-Ass’? Not ‘let the right one in’ (remake)?

robola

Don’t get caught up in the details of how it works, William Gibson’s always been about feelings and atmosphere not facts.

I was looking forward to watching this until I read that. I now remember why I’m not a fan of Gibson.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.