Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Africa Twin v KTM Adventure 1090 v something else?
  • peterno51

Currently commuting on a Honda NC700x and its very adequate. Bit small for me (6’1”), but goes and stops does everything adequately, every day for the last 5 years. Cheap as chips. Adequate.

However, some significant life events have made think, screw it’s just too dull and I want moar, also have aspirations of taking the kids touring on something after reading of others exploits. There’s a tempting year old 1090 at the local dealers for 8k along with a similar Africa Twin.

So before I go test riding one or both of them and end up buying the shiny one what should I be looking out for, or any alternatives?

Had a look at the Tiger 800, but a bit meh.

Cheers all.

winston
    Free Member

If you want turnkey reliability get the twin. But you already have a Honda……

Have you checked out a Multistrada?  Might not start but fun when it does

hot_fiat

November is KTM model refresh time, so you should be looking for a decent bundle of bits thrown in with the deal. That cascades down through to the second hand market with a load of pre-regs available in dec and jan. Last year you could pick up a discounted brand new 1090 for less than 10k, with a full set of boxes and an akrapoviç, with the pre-regs being considerably cheaper.

Get a dealer to price up finance on brand new. Both Honda and KTM have very good 0 or near as damnit 0% finance (pcp or hp). Second hand you’ll be looking at 6-20% from a stealer so it may make sense to try for new.

RustyNissanPrairie

New Yamaha Tenere’ ?

weeksy

Mate has owned both, currently owns the 1090. He says the 1090 is a much better bike than the AT. I’ve ridden his 1090 and it was indeed lovely…. But i am a KTM fanboi. 🙂

Kato

Test rode a 1090 Adventure and an Africa Twin but ended up buying an old twin cam oil cooled GS. Rode so much better than both and the shaft drive is a bonus

hot_fiat

Test rode a 1090 Adventure and an Africa Twin but ended up buying an old twin cam oil cooled GS.

Yeah I tested a 1090 a while ago. It was a bit numb. Cannot say that, at all, of my 1290sas.

footflaps

I always wanted an Africa Twin, haven’t made them for years IIRC…

weeksy

Eh ? There’s a new one…

footflaps

Eh ? There’s a new one…

Fair enough, not kept up for years. I was harking after the 90s one….

Next you’ll tell me they’ve brought back the Pan European, always wanted one of those as well…

epicyclo

First test for an adventure bike for real adventures: stick it in a ditch, and then try and lift it out.
    Now do it again with full luggage.

Second test: push it through unrideable deep sand for a mile (you can have the engine idling in gear)
    Now do it again with full luggage. Even better do it in full leathers at 40ºC.

Third test: lie on the ground and get a mate to lay the bike on top off you. Extricate yourself.
    Yes, do it again with etc…

🙂

footflaps

First test for an adventure bike for real adventures: stick it in a ditch, and then try and lift it out.
    Now do it again with full luggage.

Only adventure riding I’ve done was on a Suzuki DR350, which you could just about drag if you had to, although wouldn’t want to have to drag it very far….

peterno51

I’m no Charlie Boardman, I like the upright position with good visibility and that they are relatively narrow for getting through traffic.

@hot_fiat
    , interesting news, they do also have a fresh from the crate bike with full luggage for 10k. It’s over my budget even with a low interest rate but is tempting given how much I would need to spend just getting a top box for the spare lid for off spring ferrying.

Thanks all some good stuff here. The reviews I’ve seen on the youtubes echo what’s been said so far.

bazzer
    Free Member

If you don’t want to go off road. Then have a look at the BMW S1000XR if you want upright, comfy, ability tour two up and fast and fun.

weeksy

Yeah but an IL4 engine 🙁

they’re impressive though.

bazzer
    Free Member

Very true Weeksy and its the only criticism I can level at it and that its a little bit characterless.

Its a lot of fun once you get going on it and it goes a lot better than it looks 🙂 It deffo surprises a few people especially as its wearing a coffin sized top box on mine 🙂

As you may remember from other posts I am a big Aprilia fan, and what we really need is the 1100 V4 in a Caponord 🙂

If not I will probably buy another XR once this one has a billion miles on it 😀

peterno51

Having had a higher reving Fazer before, I much prefer twins, snigger. It’s an interesting throw in though, I’ve had a quick blast on a mates GS and that was nice but was a bit wide in the beam.

Any other options? I think 8k max ticket price to allow for 2-3k trade in on the NC.

hot_fiat

Something left-field sir?
    Dorsoduro

colp

Only adventure riding I’ve done was on a Suzuki DR350,

Loved my old DR350, indestructible, really easy to wheelie through the gears.

peterno51

Ooooo @hot_fiat, you and your brappage temptations. Not quite got the year round weather protection I could hide behind though.

footflaps

Loved my old DR350, indestructible, really easy to wheelie through the gears.

Yes, I almost went off the back of it riding over a mound somewhere in Turkey, opened the throttle inadvertently leaning back and wheelied off by accident….

failedengineer

I’ll bet a Tiger 800 is better built and more reliable than the KTM …

hot_fiat

Oooh look givi do a top box. Its blistering with tech too.

Weather protection? Pah! My 950sm at the top of Stelvio, in the snow. No heated grips, screen or any semblance of comfort for 2500miles. In total I put 32k on that bike. Supermotos are much more practical than you’d think.

flange
    Free Member

I’ll bet a Tiger 800 is better built and more reliable than the KTM …

Hahaha I bet it’s not! Triumph make JLR products look like they’re well screwed together…and I own an Italian bike…

peterno51

Oh, there it is…

…pulls up chair..

peterno51

And also, @hot_fiat, methinks your username is not just because you rag the pants of your Doblo?

weeksy

Lol the lc8 engine is bullet proof, used for gazillion of miles in many many KTM s, the build quality on the 1090 us superb.

superfli
    Free Member

You had a look at the f850gs/GSA? I have the older 800. The engine on mine is a bore. The engine on the 850 is much more fun. A nice amount of low down grunt, getting towards the 1200, but feeling slimmer and lighter.

hot_fiat

Hmm lc8 is reasonably reliable, if you discount the early issues with starters and water pumps. Also, big mileage tends to result in head bolt stretch / timing chain channel wear (like mine did), though these faults are fixed on the modern ones.

Yes I rag my small fiats everywhere.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Love my 950 SMR, especially with its akra’s😁. Though the tiny tank means fill ups every 95 miles so I’m on first name terms with most of the petrol stations on my commute

couchy
    Free Member

I had the Africa twin for 2 years and changed it for the 1090 adventure. Would go back to an AT though lol

Different bikes tbh, the AT is much better off road. The 1090 is much better on road and track. I’ve used both off road, road and track.

KTM engine is much stronger and genuinely fast, the AT not so much if that matters. Decide what use it’s for, if it’s all road go for the KTM. If off road comes into it then the Honda wins.

Here’s some daftness

GJW_4081

redstripe
    Free Member

Ooh I love Africa Twins, would love to have a new one now, just for old times here’s mine I got in the early 90’s:

and the pre-cursor I had from the mid-80’s, an XLV750R shaft drive air cooled twin:

Went all over the place on them for years, so reliable. Sorry I don’t know much about KTM’s but I like the look of them

couchy
    Free Member

Should add the 1090 was £8800 new OTR. some still around at that price

wipperman95
    Free Member

What about the Yamaha pair; the Super Tenere or the 700cc Tenere which gets decent reviews.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

There’s a new Triumph Tiger 800 (now a 900) out later this year, might be worth a look.

peterno51

Thanks all some good suggestions to follow up on. In the mean time I have put a holding deposit down on the 1090 so I can have a go on it (must get a lot of piss takers I guess) and it needs to go through the workshop which has a 10 day lead time.

This particular bike has some ktm bling thrown at it, personal favourite to try out is the heated seats!! Heated seats I tell you! I won’t know what to do with myself…

weeksy

heated grips are my latest best friend forever !

failedengineer

Flange – where on earth do you get that from? I had 7 Triumphs on the trot before my current BMW 800 and not one of them missed a beat or had any corrosion at all. Every time I read a test on a KTM there always seems to be some ‘small’ issue that the testers are willing to ignore. I’ve seen some really tatty ones, too. I know they are good bikes, but better built than Triumph? I don’t think so.

anagallis_arvensis

Heated seats I tell you! I won’t know what to do with myself…

Heated grips etc, are great till you keep commuting in winter on cold mornings and you fall off on some ice….apparently, someone told me…

flange
    Free Member

Well, I had a brand new street triple that was nothing but aggro – it spent more time in the shop than it did being ridden, including most of the first summer I owned it. Plus random bits constantly fell off it. I’d call it a outlier but my mate bought one at the same time and had similar trouble with it. Maybe the newer ones are better and when it did work it was ace, but it’s left a sour taste in my mouth regarding buying another Triumph.

Maybe it’s about perspective – I’ve bought a second hand Ducati and every time I go out, I expect it to break but that doesn’t seem to bother me. Maybe if I’d bought it new I’d be more annoyed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Africa Twin v KTM Adventure 1090 v something else?’ is closed to new replies.