Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • afib check with sports hrm
  • MSP

Does anyone know of an iphone app, that will work in conjunction my wahoo tickr hrm, to give an indication as to if I am in sinus rhythm or not?

I have had afib and atrial flutter, seemingly cured 6 months ago, but am now kind of paranoid about it when I feel a bit weak or ill. I would just like to put my mind at rest with something that gives an indication of whether my heart beat is in normal rhythm or not. I found one that uses the phones camera as an optical sensor, but it is a bit crap, and I don’t really trust it.

bonni

Some people with heart arrthymia seem to swear by Kardia mobile.

KardiaMobile

I have no idea about Wahoo compatibility, sorry.

Hope it all works out OK for you.

MSP

Yeah, I had seen kardia, but that needs specific hardware, and it is hard to believe that a thumbpad would be better than a heart rate strap.

Flaperon

You *could* just try a chest strap heart rate monitor (I doubt any kind of optical HRM will work as you’ll probably lose consciousness before it detects atrial fibrillation) and see whether it records a normal heart rate during periods you feel funny. A chest-strap style HRM only measures R peaks on the waveform, and I reckon there’s an excellent chance that they’d be filtered out as noise by the heart rate strap.

You can pick up el-cheapo single-lead ECG monitors for about £40 on eBay though.

But I have to ask: if this is concerning you, why not go back to a doctor? Realistically you need an ECG administered and interpreted by an expert.

* erm, if this happens you might want to see a doctor. IANAD.

MSP

I am using a chest strap hrm. What I would like is an app that gives something more than just bpm. There are apps the do hrv, so it surprises me that no one seems to be do something that can give an indication of afib or flutter.

bonni

If you have an Apple Watch you can do it apparently. Just in case you have one.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/12/ecg-app-and-irregular-heart-rhythm-notification-available-today-on-apple-watch/

cheers_drive

I know I was in AFib because my HR would be way too high for the effort I would put in. The electrocardiologist, however, would not take that as evidence as it does not measure the whole wave.
    I do have a Blood Pressure monitor which indicates arrhythmia which does appear to work.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Does anyone know of an iphone app, that will work in conjunction my wahoo tickr hrm, to give an indication as to if I am in sinus rhythm or not?

I had/have a similar problem to you. There’s no way to do it with a sports HR monitor, they just don’t work as an ECG they’re all about measuring your heart rate – not about detecting individual beats or rythms. Same with apps for your phone. They don’t work.

After searching I ended up investing the £100 in the Kardia ECG thing. It works and your doctor will respect the output. They stiff you for £10 a month if you want to save off the traces, but if it’s just about your own peace of mind you don’t need that.

Can’t you just check your own pulse at the wrist? You’ll soon tell if it’s not right. The only need for an ECG is to show a doc.

longdog
    Free Member

I’m currently in the process of getting a heart condition sorted out. When I think mine is dancing a jig I just check for it in my neck (seems easier/clearer than in my wrist) and yup it will be going doolally.

It isn’t picked up on a hrm at all (wrist/strap/or phone) and initially I thought my heart was ok when exercising as the hr seemed fine and I felt fine. ECG stress test showed it is far from all right :/

howarthp

I’ve had AFib and two cardiac ablations. Drs trust a Kardia reading and don’t look at my Garmin data. I’ve diagnosed myself a couple of times using my Garmin HR data but have become very attuned to what my heart is doing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘afib check with sports hrm’ is closed to new replies.