Afan, top cafe to bottom cafe now completely off-road ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Afan, top cafe to bottom cafe now completely off-road ?
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Just thinking/planning something and i know this was in the planning stages once upon a time, but don’t know how much became a reality.

But is it now possible to get from bottom cafe up to the top one and then back down without doing road stuff etc ?

P-Jay

Top / bottom Cafe?

Anyway, it’s possible to go from the Afan site, to the Glyncorrwg site and bryn bettws completely off-road.

There’s a low-level Sustrains style bike lane between Afan and Glyncorrwg or you can follow W2 which visits all 3 sites.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

As above: what?

But yes, it’s always (for as long as I’ve been going anyway!) been possible to ride between Afan & Glynncorrwg (if that’s what you mean!) off road, there are at least 2 different routes

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Afan & Glynncorrwg

Yes exactly that. I’m thinking for an upcoming trip (a while away yet) the non-cyclist people can ride up from the Afan visitors center to the Glycorrwg center to meet us while we do the W2 ride, so meeting them at the cafe and then having lunch etc. Last time I tried it, where you cross the river though to Cymmer it used to take in a chunk of road.

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

Not been there for years now but iirc don’t you head for the start of the wall trail from the Afan centre then where the the wall trail turns left into the trees you carry straight on there all the way to Glyncorrwg centre?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

That would make sense yes, so as the Wall trail goes left and starts to climb, you continue straight. Based upon what others are saying above that’s seeming likely to be the case, but as i say, last time we tried it (coming down, not going up) it wasn’t possible and pushed you out onto the road by a massive concrete bridge (Not the bridge by the loop at the end of the Wall) about half way down.

Just trying really to integrate some of the less capable riders into the trip so they don’t feel quite so left out. Although the fact it will potentially be rainy/wet/cold may actually mean they’re fairly unlikely to go anyhow.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

If I understand correctly there’s a path all the way between the two centres, no road needed.   Or maybe a little in Cymmer at the gate at the end of the track across the bridge to the Railway station pub (Refreshment Room?) where you pick up the path again.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

You can do that or stay on the Wall fire road* on the north side of the beck and come out opposite the railway station pub.
    * when the fire road turns left to go up , go straight on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.