Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Afan the Destroyer
  • stimpy
    Free Member

Well my week at Afan was bloody brilliant (popped over to Brechfa for a couple of days too) and thank you all to those who provided info/recommendations.

But all that has finally seen for my freehub which, despite mine (and others) best efforts is decidedly dead. So…

Given a limited budget (really not more than about £200) and mostly XC/trail riding (no big drops/jumps) would you:

(A) recommend me a new rear hub to lace up to my existing rim (Rigida, nothing special but takes a kicking and still true and ding-free);

(B) recommend me a new wheelset (unlikely given the budget);

(C) ignore these options and recommend something else completely/talk about what you have on your bike(s)? (this is STW, after all).

Thanks!

plodtv
    Free Member

hope pro 2 evo

superfli
    Free Member

After considering rebuilding my hubs onto new rims I realised it would be far more cost effective to buy a new set of wheels. £200 will get you some Superstar Evos on Mavic 717s
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=501

I spent the extra £20 for some Flows and they have been great so far…

hugor
    Free Member

I’ll take (C).
    I ride Afan lots and love it but I took this pic today in the Quantocks.

garage-dweller

Err…replace the freehub body? Assuming you have not knackered the hub or axle. Surely worth a go if you are on a budget.

stimpy
    Free Member

Hmmm – those superstar wheelsets look mighty tempting, maybe Crests (not sure the riding I do needs Flows, but I’m open to persuastion – is there that much of a weight penalty?)

Only thing is, what are the Switch Evo hubs like? If the freehub dies in 12/18mths can I replace it? Anyone got any experience of them?

Hope Pro 2 Evo pricey but I like the user-serviceable aspect.

Quantocks look lovely today hugor!

sambob
    Free Member

Why not just get a new rear wheel (Hope Pro2 Evo on stans) then get a new front to match when you can afford it?

stimpy
    Free Member

garage-dweller I’ve tried removing the freehub body (as have others, including my LBS) and we’ve all failed. I think the axle & hub itself is OK as there’s no problem or roughness rotating it (all on cartridge bearings) but the freehub is definitely dead as it intermittently seizes.

If I could get the damn thing off I’d be a happy (and richer) stimpy…

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I got a set of secondhand Hope pro 2s on mavic en521s, for £150. Cracking deal.

garage-dweller

Ah sorry. Couldn’t tell from your original post if you’d had a crack at that.

On that basis I would second a new rear wheel. Rims are never as good on a rebuild.

I_Ache
    Free Member

From that SSC link.

EX721 – Elite downhill world champion

What a load of tosh. I have them on my AM bike and granted they are the only rims I havn’t managed to destroy and are DH capable. They are most certainly not Elite downhill world champion standard rims.

adam1330
    Free Member

How about the Merlin Stans 355 offfer?

XT & 355 offer

15mm front, but I would have thought they could be converted to qr if needed?

transapp
    Free Member

Hope Pro II with Mavic 717’s , complete wheelset from the classifieds here, £140. Straight as a die, barely ridden. Freakin Brillinat buy. It’s survived anything my ham fisted attempts have thrown at it, and I’m not little!

toys19
    Free Member

How about a new hub for £60? I’ve done this on old rims twice and never had any issues.

ddmonkey

I Ache you’d be surprised what kit a top DH racer will use for one run only to get an advantage. They don’t need their kit to last after all.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

My mate is selling some stans ZTR hubs with crest rims they are very nice i think he wants £200 for them

belugabob
    Free Member

Hmm, rigida rim and unable to get the freehub off – sounds familiar!
    Try inserting the Allen key into the non-drive side, to remove the freehub – then try everything in your powers to find anything that looks even remotely like it.

This is why I’m currently rebuilding my wheel onto a new hub – now if I can just work out where I put that spoke down…

Del

i’d suggest getting a decent rear wheel, and a superstar one would not fit that bill, IMHO.
    ah, the quantocks. the romance of the nuclear power station…
    😈

stimpy
    Free Member

Belugabob – I did wonder whether I might struggle to find a replacement freehub (even if I could get the bloody thing off) given that no-one seems able to tell me where I might find one 🙁

Shame because the rims (although not the best/lightest) have served well and have no dings. Doesn’t seem worth paying to have the rim re-built onto a new hub, given that a new wheel won’t cost much more.

scottfitz
    Free Member

After considering rebuilding my hubs onto new rims I realised it would be far more cost effective to buy a new set of wheels. £200 will get you some Superstar Evos on Mavic 717s
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=501

I spent the extra £20 for some Flows and they have been great so far…

+1

scottfitz
    Free Member

and a superstar one would not fit that bill, IMHO

I have the AM rims and evo hubs. I hammer mine hard, Roots, rocks, jumps, drops. Till now there fine, might even get a set for my ht.

stimpy
    Free Member

Good news on the replacement freehub (especially for belugabob) – I have finally tracked down a freehub which fits!

The Rigida rim I had came with a JoyTech hub – impossible to find a replacement from JoyTech but the Pro-Lite Avise (and presumably the Arvier too) fits perfectly! £15 from CRC is well within budget too!!

Now all I need is to remember where I put that bloody allen key.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Afan the Destroyer’ is closed to new replies.