Afan the Destroyer

Home Forum Bike Forum Afan the Destroyer

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Afan the Destroyer
  • Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

Well my week at Afan was bloody brilliant (popped over to Brechfa for a couple of days too) and thank you all to those who provided info/recommendations.

But all that has finally seen for my freehub which, despite mine (and others) best efforts is decidedly dead. So…

Given a limited budget (really not more than about £200) and mostly XC/trail riding (no big drops/jumps) would you:

(A) recommend me a new rear hub to lace up to my existing rim (Rigida, nothing special but takes a kicking and still true and ding-free);

(B) recommend me a new wheelset (unlikely given the budget);

(C) ignore these options and recommend something else completely/talk about what you have on your bike(s)? (this is STW, after all).

Thanks!

plodtv

hope pro 2 evo

superfli

After considering rebuilding my hubs onto new rims I realised it would be far more cost effective to buy a new set of wheels. £200 will get you some Superstar Evos on Mavic 717s
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=501

I spent the extra £20 for some Flows and they have been great so far…

hugor

I’ll take (C).
    I ride Afan lots and love it but I took this pic today in the Quantocks.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Err…replace the freehub body? Assuming you have not knackered the hub or axle. Surely worth a go if you are on a budget.

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

Hmmm – those superstar wheelsets look mighty tempting, maybe Crests (not sure the riding I do needs Flows, but I’m open to persuastion – is there that much of a weight penalty?)

Only thing is, what are the Switch Evo hubs like? If the freehub dies in 12/18mths can I replace it? Anyone got any experience of them?

Hope Pro 2 Evo pricey but I like the user-serviceable aspect.

Quantocks look lovely today hugor!

sambob

Why not just get a new rear wheel (Hope Pro2 Evo on stans) then get a new front to match when you can afford it?

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

garage-dweller I’ve tried removing the freehub body (as have others, including my LBS) and we’ve all failed. I think the axle & hub itself is OK as there’s no problem or roughness rotating it (all on cartridge bearings) but the freehub is definitely dead as it intermittently seizes.

If I could get the damn thing off I’d be a happy (and richer) stimpy…

hexhamstu

I got a set of secondhand Hope pro 2s on mavic en521s, for £150. Cracking deal.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Ah sorry. Couldn’t tell from your original post if you’d had a crack at that.

On that basis I would second a new rear wheel. Rims are never as good on a rebuild.

I_Ache

From that SSC link.

EX721 – Elite downhill world champion

What a load of tosh. I have them on my AM bike and granted they are the only rims I havn’t managed to destroy and are DH capable. They are most certainly not Elite downhill world champion standard rims.

adam1330

How about the Merlin Stans 355 offfer?

XT & 355 offer

15mm front, but I would have thought they could be converted to qr if needed?

transapp

Hope Pro II with Mavic 717’s , complete wheelset from the classifieds here, £140. Straight as a die, barely ridden. Freakin Brillinat buy. It’s survived anything my ham fisted attempts have thrown at it, and I’m not little!

toys19

How about a new hub for £60? I’ve done this on old rims twice and never had any issues.

Premier Icon ddmonkey
    Subscriber

I Ache you’d be surprised what kit a top DH racer will use for one run only to get an advantage. They don’t need their kit to last after all.

My mate is selling some stans ZTR hubs with crest rims they are very nice i think he wants £200 for them

belugabob

Hmm, rigida rim and unable to get the freehub off – sounds familiar!
    Try inserting the Allen key into the non-drive side, to remove the freehub – then try everything in your powers to find anything that looks even remotely like it.

This is why I’m currently rebuilding my wheel onto a new hub – now if I can just work out where I put that spoke down…

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

i’d suggest getting a decent rear wheel, and a superstar one would not fit that bill, IMHO.
    ah, the quantocks. the romance of the nuclear power station…
    😈

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

Belugabob – I did wonder whether I might struggle to find a replacement freehub (even if I could get the bloody thing off) given that no-one seems able to tell me where I might find one 🙁

Shame because the rims (although not the best/lightest) have served well and have no dings. Doesn’t seem worth paying to have the rim re-built onto a new hub, given that a new wheel won’t cost much more.

scottfitz

After considering rebuilding my hubs onto new rims I realised it would be far more cost effective to buy a new set of wheels. £200 will get you some Superstar Evos on Mavic 717s
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=501

I spent the extra £20 for some Flows and they have been great so far…

+1

scottfitz

and a superstar one would not fit that bill, IMHO

I have the AM rims and evo hubs. I hammer mine hard, Roots, rocks, jumps, drops. Till now there fine, might even get a set for my ht.

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

Good news on the replacement freehub (especially for belugabob) – I have finally tracked down a freehub which fits!

The Rigida rim I had came with a JoyTech hub – impossible to find a replacement from JoyTech but the Pro-Lite Avise (and presumably the Arvier too) fits perfectly! £15 from CRC is well within budget too!!

Now all I need is to remember where I put that bloody allen key.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Afan the Destroyer’ is closed to new replies.