Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Afan Skyline
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Skyline Reopens

seen no mention,

Though no one else seemed to like it, I guess as more than a few miles and not enough gnarr, glad to see it is open again.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I guess as more than a few miles and not enough gnarr,

Funny enough, I caused a ripple on Twitter at the weekend due some of my comments in regards to Blade and Skyline, all in good jest.

I’m also glad it’s reopened, I rode bits of it that it shares with Blade on Saturday and you can see the work that’s gone into it, not really bedded in, but no complaints from me!

As for Skyline though, yep, it’s the familiar Whites, Blade, Skyline climb, which I detest, which says more about my dislike for technical climbs that anything else, then a million billion miles of near featureless singletrack in a big loop, before you end up where you started and down a rocky, rough, droppy technical descent which I love, but after 5 hours could do without.

Years ago in the days of 9x gearing and before dropper posts there used to be a poster on the wall in the Café where you put your name down and time you took to ride it, like a badge of honour, it really wasn’t for everyone.

Northwind

I rode a bunch of it that I think was officially shut, because the windfarm signage was bloody awful and I got completely lost about 8 times, actually really enjoyed it. Mellow, sure, but nice low effort riding around the top, good views, etc. Having said that later on in the ride I apparently hallucinated a really good descent which when I returned a year later turned out to be a climb, but still.

reluctantjumper

I’ll be going back to ride it as soon as my fitness is close enough to do it! Loved riding it as an alternative to White’s/W2, especially if the place was busy. I even had a thread about revisiting it (under my old login, lost the password and couldn’t reset it) complete with pictures:

Old thread about exploring what was left a few years ago.

Will be interesting to go back and see what they have done to it and comparing old photos and the ones when it was abandoned.

weeksy

I’m a fan for sure 🙂 Excellent.

snownrock

Used to love Skyline when we lived in S Wales. Proper big Day out feel with easy navigation and a decent cafe at the end (well there used to be?). As above it appears I’m still in the minority that the first climb was my favourite part of whites level. Just reflects my descending ability and preference for a workout/some decent exercise I suppose.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Afan Skyline’ is closed to new replies.