Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Afan or the Peaks for a group of mixed ability?
  • PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I'm assisting a colleague with the organisation of our department's inaugural MTB trip during a weekend in April. We have 15-20 interested people, most of whom are likely to be novices to MTBing (but many of them have a reasonable level of fitness). They will be travelling from various locations in the UK (Leeds, Scotland, London and Birmingham)

We have two options on the table:

1. South Wales Trail Centre – Afan being the obvious choice.

I've ridden Afan a few times and, speaking as someone who is reasonably fit but can't pull a wheelie or jump, I think it will be ok for beginners provided that they keep to the shorter runs and are prepared to complete the routes in 4 hours rather than 2.

Pros:

– Accommodation perhaps more suited to a large group of cyclists (locking up hired bikes?)

– trails easy to get to and no route planning involved.

– motorway access is good

Cons:

– no opportunity to explore the landscape or to choose your own route

– getting caught up with other MTBers (and getting in their way??)

2. Peaks (exact location unknown)

I've done very little biking in the Peaks and therefore I'm unsure how well suited it would be for such a trip.

Pros:

– greater trail flexibility (but planning work involved for the less fit members who don't want to try the big routes in the MTB magazines)

– Travel time from our various offices will be more similar than to South Wales

Cons:

– route planning

– higher level of fitness required for the bigger climbs?

– suitability of accommodation?

I'm minded towards Wales and then a second trip to the Peaks (requiring more organisation) if the first trip goes well. However, will Afan be too much for the inexperienced bikers?

I'd appreciate the thoughts of the experienced bikers (and those who have organised big group outings – SFB?)

jackthedog
    Free Member

Trail centres are your friend for this sort of event I would have thought.

A Peaks slog could be a bit grim for those unaccustomed to this ridiculous activity we call a hobby.

Chew
    Free Member

Trail center is probably the way to go, unless you've pre ridden the route already. Also trail centers hold up better if the weather is poor.

Based on the locations you've mentioned you may want to think about Dalby or Whinlatter. Plenty of natural riding near there as well

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

Thanks guys for both of your comments. Whinlatter is in fact the only trail centre my colleague has ridden so he will have a understanding as to the level of experience required. I'll look into Dalby too.

rickon
    Free Member

Afan

Cons:

– no opportunity to explore the landscape or to choose your own route

– getting caught up with other MTBers (and getting in their way??)

Disagree. There's loads of off-piste stuff around the Afan.. and you're hardly any distance from the Beacons… check out the Gap ride, and pretty close'ish to Brefcha.

Plus you wont get anyone's way, people ride of all skill levels and fitness, anyone who berrates you for being slow is a nob. 🙂 It ain't a race.

South Wales is an incredibly friendly venue, with so so much different riding to be had.

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

Yes, good shout, Brecon isn't far away (I remember getting lost in the thick fog on the Beacons back in my uni days in 1995 – the army patrol on training looked quite shocked to see three guys in lycra wandering around without a map and just one mars bar between them….).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"can't pull a wheelie or jump,"

Neither can I. I've been riding for ages and it doesn't stop me doing black routes (carefully)!

mrmojo
    Free Member

Dont use the campsite at Glyncorrwg the locaL chav's will be having your bikes !! there was alot of bike theft the weekend we stayed.

0range5

jackthedog – Member

Trail centres are your friend for this sort of event I would have thought.

A Peaks slog could be a bit grim for those unaccustomed to this ridiculous activity we call a hobby.

+1

^The Peaks are awesome if you're into biking & have some fitness & skill, but it can be totally draining. I love it there, but some of my favourite Peak trails would be like riding black for some inexperienced/nervous riders. Not ridden Afan, but Dalby red is nice & the fireroad sections that people sometimes complain about are a chance to rest & recover for slower riders. Also, being 23 miles, it can be an all day ride if you've got slower people.

A bit (very) out of the way is Nant-yr-Arian, but it's a mixture of built & natural, but waymarked so you won't get lost.

rickon
    Free Member

Nant-yr-Arian

Yes indeed. Awesome.

midlifecrashes

Flatter trail centre sounds like a good bet. Bike hire on hand usually. Sherwood Pines might work too, and Cannock/Follow the Dog. I'd have thought White Peak would make a good base, there's a hire place by the Manifold trail which makes a good starting point for a few decent routes, and close to a fair bit of accommodation.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trail center definately, the Peaks are 'effin hard work if your new to mountainbiking, and arent that great as any big route invariably involves miles and miles or roads.

Why afan though, I'd say Dalby is much more central if your coming from leeds or scotland, South Wales doesn't realy suit anyone?? Depends where the majority of people are coming from. And we did a big 50+mile off road loop nearby so there's plenty of natural stuff to do on a second/third day.

nickc

Another vote for trail centre. Can't get lost, the downs are pretty much guaranteed laugh out loud fun, it's achievable for most with a moderate level of fitness, it's in the "outdoors" without being in the middle of nowhere. There's hot food at the end, with a chance to banter. There's loads of accommodation specifically set up for bikers…What's not to like?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Afan or the Peaks for a group of mixed ability?’ is closed to new replies.