Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Afan options this weekend?
  • oldnpastit

I’m going to Afan. The weather looks pretty grim. What’s going to be the least cold, wet and miserable option that still involves cycling.

I’m actually staying outside the valley, near to Neath, so I don’t absolutely have to ride around the Afan valley.

Not going is not an option obviously.

rob8624
    Free Member

The two final descents on The Wall (Zig Zags and S4) are closed at the moment, just to let you know.

oldnpastit

Thanks. Maybe I will have to finally have a go at the new black descents.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Least wet and miserable option would be laps of Blue Scar, but not very natural.

tetrode
    Free Member

There are a couple of trees down on some sections of White’s Level apparently, according to the MTB ranger facebook page so keep that in mind.

oldnpastit

I went to Brechfa. If I hadn’t known from the weather forecast that the weather was terrible I would never have guessed.

ali69er
    Free Member

What were the conditions like? thinking of heading to White’s Level on Wednesday.

Trimix
    Free Member

Afan is basically weather proof. It may get spashy and you may eat some brake pads in a day. But its always grippy and the trails always work.

If its wet just take a change of riding clothes and swop between trails when you have lunch. I take two bikes and spoil myself with a fresh bike for the second half of the day 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

What were the conditions like? thinking of heading to White’s Level on Wednesday.

Rode White’s Saturday.

Really rough at the moment, all the rain we got during the floods a few weeks ago (not that Afan flooded) has caused a lot of the trail to shift around. It’s always been a rough trail but a lot of it looks like it’s been shelled at the moment. If you like it rough and not all ‘fake’ like a lot of TCs you’ll love it.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I miss them trees.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I miss them trees.

So do the trails, I’m sure someone cleverer than me could explain in more detail, but Cwmcarn seems largely unchanged since the trees went, well in terms of holding together, but most of the Afan trails lost most of their soil and are very rocky now. It makes some sections that were seemingly designed to be ridden fast a bit of a slog.

rob8624
    Free Member

6ft Foot Under has had a river running down it the last couple of weeks. It’s bee awesome haha.

Trails all OK, Whites and Blade are rough, yes, but all good faster you go easier they are.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Afan options this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.