Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Afan next week
  • stimpy
    Free Member

I’m off to Afan for all of next week (hurrah!) – any locals able to tell me what conditions the trails are in? And any recommendations for good eating come the evening? Any type of food but must be good.

Cheers in advance!

meddle
    Free Member

It’s raining continuously today but the trails are usually pretty good in all weather, some patches will be mini lakes but that’s usually only on bits of Goodwood on White’s Level, couple of other places but it’ll be fine.

I always enjoy a nice meal at T-Bones (http://www.t-bones.co.uk/)
    Couple of pubs around here that do food too.

Not a lot of restaurants here, will after to travel a bit.

davidjey
    Free Member

You’re staying for a week? Once you’ve ridden W2 and Skyline what are you going to do for the other 5 and a half days?*

Conditions: everything is open as far as I know (haven’t been out on the MTB for a week). It’s what you would expect from a trail centre in February: everything is rideable with varying amounts of wet/mud.

Eats: where are you staying? In Cwmafan the Afan Tavern/Jersey Arms is the best pub of a not-very-good bunch – they are friendly and do good pub food in a ‘cheap and loads of it’ sort of way. Dunno about further up the valley Cymmer/Glyncorrwg way.

*there’s probably a week’s worth of riding in the valley if you know where to look. If you’re around over a weekend (and depending which weekend) I might be around to show you some of it if you like…

meddle
    Free Member

I need to start looking around for natural trails here, I’m at Cymmer and all I ride is Afan, depressing. I bet there’s loads over Bryn way.

stimpy
    Free Member

Thanks for that – T-Bones looks worth a visit (or maybe two!). Planning on spending a few days riding around Afan and also a few day-long bimbles on trails with an OS map in my back pocket, just because I can! A week of not being at work and riding whenever I like 😀

A bad day of riding is still better than a good day in the office!

wrecker
    Free Member

After/during rain, the worst bit IME is the middle of energy. The open area with boardwalk. There’s some good ruts and puddles up there at the moment. There was snow on the ground in places on sunday but that’ll be gone now.
    I wouldn’t try to do a whole week at afan, I’d do two days then a day at Brechfa then a couple at coed y brenin.

greeble
    Free Member

middle of energy..
    Glyncorrwg then?

wrecker
    Free Member

?
    I don’t think he was talking about spending a week riding the wall.

therag
    Free Member

Cwmcarn is good trail if you are passing. 2 loops, cafe stop and on to your next destination.

stimpy
    Free Member

Will definitely stop in at Cwmcarn – it’s on my way there.

Wrecker – correct. Not planning on spending a week on the wall! But in the area for a week, so plenty of time to ride trails and ride around with map to see what can be found (and time to spend doing nowt – which would be a change).

makkag
    Free Member

the refreshment rooms (Right in the middle of Cymmer) does palitable grub the Afan steak and T bone i had in there were nice but it is pub grub .. Landlord manager and locals are a good bunch too .. one has great magic tricks been bladdered with them and regreted it on the whytes climb too many times now !

Carpediem
    Free Member

One of the best places to eat in Port Talbot at the moment is ‘La Memo’
    on Forge Rd.

Fantastic food at a good price. It aint cheap, its quality and you’ll love it there!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Afan lodge has a restaurant open to non guests. Good food there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A diversion to Gower and Rhossili/ Worms Head (with or without the bike as you don’t want to ride on the beach) and perhaps a trip out to Brechfa would be good additions. I’m planning a Wales tour of Brechfa/Pembrokeshire coastal walking/Afan/CYB and Brecons for biking and walking – that will be a busy week.

The STW guys did a ride around the Gower as above, we usually walk that loop, stunning views from hill top. Also there is a feature in this months mag on Brecons/Black Mountains, lots of inspiration.

PS The Welsh are liley to win at Twickenham on Saturday so they’ll be happy to see you so they can crow about it 🙂

stimpy
    Free Member

Yeh – not looking forward to being an Englishman in Wales after the coming Saturday… 🙁

tonyg2003

A whole week at Afan? As said before I’d get over to Brechfa/Cwmcarn too (definitely Brechfa out of the two) and maybe a day in the Breacons?

T-bones is fine. Slightly up market pub food!

weeksy

Middle of energy was ridiculously wet after the bridge on Sunday… i don’t expect it’s any better if it’s rained more… it was rideable of course… but yukky.

Grip overall is still brilliant

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Afan next week’ is closed to new replies.