Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Afan masts parking
  • Hi where is the best place to park as I see the Rhyslyn car park is currently shut.I’m heading up there Saturday so while I’m at how do the trails hold up in the wet. Thanks in advance.

Premier Icon MikeAyles
    Free Member

School Street Pontrhydyfen. Rhyslyn was previously open on weekends only, but is now permanently closed.

Don’t park at the skills park, as you can’t roll down zig zags to get to rhyslyn at all, you would need to go back up the valley to the crossing at the bottom of Omega, to go down the path on the other side of the valley (in which case you may as well just park at the afan center)

Edit: Rides amazing in the wet, probably better than all the dust at the moment.

Great thanks just what I wanted to hear.I’m on off piste weekend so Barry sidings,cwmcarn or Wylie for Sunday any to avoid after a soaking.

Premier Icon MikeAyles
    Free Member

If you know your way around already, Cwmcarn/Risca bike park & Wyllie. If you don’t, Barry Sidings. Just make sure you spend a few quid at the Café if you do BS.

A lot of BS is quite well weather hardened, just be careful on the coal tracks, they become super slippery, you will not be able to stop, just hold your line and aim for the berms.

Thanks for the information will definitely hit the cafe if I do BS .I was going to rely on Trailforks and asking people

Premier Icon chakaping

Why is the Rhyslyn car park shut?

Agree on the Masts trails being sketchy in the dust BTW.

Premier Icon johnnymarone
    Free Member

What about from the Cwmafan /Briton Ferry side? You could either park in the carpark at the bottom of Ferry woods, by Jersey Park, and ride up all the way offroad / fire road, or just take the bwlch road from Cimla and head uphill and park in the layby at the very foot of the Foel?
    The masts are at the top of the the Foel, its the name of that mountain.

Premier Icon welshfarmer

We have parked to the west of the masts on the high point of the minor road (probably the same as described above). It is a short sometimes steep pedal to the masts and it makes a good end point if you finish up on one of the southern trails. In my experience Afan trails as some of the best in South Wales following heavy rain

Thanks for all the information I’m looking forward to it.Would I be right in thinking there’s a bit more there than what’s on trail forks.According to that a few trails are closed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.