Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Afan in the rain?!?!?!
  • Buzzard
    Free Member

Planning on a long weekend in Afan next weekend but the weather predicts (lets assume its correct) rain/wind of biblical proportions. So how well does Afan REALLY ride in the wet? Ive only been a few times in the summer but wondred what it would be like after a month of rain? Planning on a training weekend so would want to do some actually riding rather than carrying the bike around in the mud. Any thoughts?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It rides well, but you will get through brake pads.

Drac

Rides well and you get wet, if you brake too much you might use some break pads.

thomthumb
    Free Member

fine. and most of the rocks have a nice coating of tyre rubber and are surprisingly grippy.

IdleJon

It rides well but you’ll only get through brake pads if you are a complete numpty….. 😆

IdleJon

thomthumb – Member
    fine. and most of the rocks have a nice coating of tyre rubber and are surprisingly grippy.

Please tell me that’s a wind up! I have a worrying feeling that you might think that is true?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I thought it was designed to ride well in the wet, as that is the prevailing weather system in Wales.

I can’t remember ever riding it dry???

Keva
    Free Member

take spare brake pads, with you in your camel back or pocket. My rear pads fell apart once at the top of the skyline descent as I was going down the steps there, lever pulled back to the bar and I wasn’t slowing down at all – made me yelp 😯

Kev

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

I always seem to be riding it in the wet. As a trail centre goes it is the dirtiest, I don’t mean real mud ruins it but for a long weekend take spare brake pads and all the spare riding gear you can (unless your accomodation has a drying room).

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It rides well but you’ll only get through brake pads if you are a complete numpty…..

Rides well and you get wet, if you brake too much you might use some break pads.

For the hard of thinking I was referring to wet welsh grit, from my experience it eats even sintered pads.

Drac

Guess I’ve been lucky then as never used a set in wet and dusty conditions when I’ve been there. So I wonder is it the grit or is it a combination of grit and too much braking?

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with the above, rides fine, but trashes pads in no time.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been there in the past when it’s been very wet indeed, and will be there this weekend. Rides fine. The only really muddy bit is the link on the W2. Never been unrideable though. Wind might make it a bit grim on some of the exposed fire roads but should help if you’re after a work out!

5thElefant
    Free Member

It rides well, but you will get through brake pads.

And rear shocks. Afan ‘sand papered’ my mint rear shock in one damp day.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Guess I’ve been lucky then as never used a set in wet and dusty conditions when I’ve been there. So I wonder is it the grit or is it a combination of grit and too much braking?

Perhaps you just don’t ride fast enough for the need to brake.

mrblobby
    Free Member

And rear shocks. Afan ‘sand papered’ my mint rear shock in one damp day.

Can do the same to top tubes if you get a lot of the grit on your baggies. Helicopter tape it up!

njee20
    Free Member

+1, or far enough.

Although I imagine you’ll now say you do 3 laps of W2 in half an hour, then tack a quick lap of Skyline on the end, before lunch. And you only brake twice in that whole time, although you’re confident you can avoid one of those instances? 🙄

Drac

Maybe or is it because rather slim.

Drac

Although I imagine you’ll now say you do 3 laps of W2 in half an hour, then tack a quick lap of Skyline on the end, before lunch. And you only brake twice in that whole time, although you’re confident you can avoid one of those instances

No, I don’t have lunch.

What ever it is I’ve never used a set of pads there even when going with part worn.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Helicopter tape it up!

I can see functional problems with that approach on suspension 😯

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m thinking a mince off might settle this.

Although I don’t think you need to brake much at Afan either..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Maybe or is it because rather slim.

Rather slim what?

Drac

Rather slim what?

Git.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Rather slim what?

Git.

No need for name calling and form a moderator as well..

😉

Drac

Hahaha was waiting for that.

njee20
    Free Member

Alright, lets do this properly then and quantify things.

This ride killed a set of pads. That’s W2 and a lap of Penhydd, in the wet. YMMV. I’ll leave any accusations of mincing/excessive braking to your discretion 🙂

Drac

Someone seems to be taking this all a bit too serious.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Much appreciated all. So the short answer is it rides ok but have spare pads – wonder how many I will need for 4 days of riding if njee is going through a set every 4hrs. Going to be an expensive training weekend

toby1

I’m heavy, and I mince lots so I a) have to reduce my speed lots as gravity and momentum roll me round afan very quickly and b) I’m rubbish so my tightening poop hole forces me to hit the brakes.

Have still yet to need owt more than a single sets of spares in a weekend.

And yeah, provided you don’t mind riding through the rapids that are Whytes climb on a rainy day it’s got to be one of the best wet day centres out there, plus you can drip all over the Dropoff and not get told off for it 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden there once in the dry. Dust made it more slippery than when it’s wet.

njee20
    Free Member

Someone seems to be taking this all a bit too serious.

My post was very tongue in cheek, I should add!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Afan in the rain?!?!?!’ is closed to new replies.