Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Afan – In a day, which trails should we be doing?
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

With a preference for descents that is, happy to link smaller trails, etc.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

I would suggest having a go on the jump park where the 4X track is, its good fun, maybe a good point to park? The descent from above there called the graveyard is decent and the bit after is called final zigzag decent is good also we did ‘The Wall’ route and a lot of the rest I was not so impressed by.

Cant tell you much about the stuff at the north end though I am afraid

creamegg
    Free Member

IMO…

Penhydd- definitely not unless you like a very tame trail

Blade- yes if you like climbing, don’t mind a little bit of mud. It has some good descents with the last one being the best.

W2- yes or maybe just Y Wal or Whites combined with the Blade

So to summarise you cant go wrong with The Wall, Whites or Blade (or any combination of the three)

patriotpro
    Free Member

The descent from above there called the graveyard is decent and the bit after is called final zigzag decent is good

These are descents of the ‘Wall’ aren’t they?

Penhydd- definitely not unless you like a very tame trail

It’s a mixed-ability group so not a deal-breaker. Is it anything like a Glentress Blue which gets better and better the faster you ride it or tame as in, just don’t bother?

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

y Wal / Whites are the two stand out trails

However if you like DH follow your nose to Afan mast there are some great descents off the top 😀

superfli
    Free Member

Personally I thought Penhydd was very good. Well it was good when combined with Y Wal.

patriotpro
    Free Member

y Wal / Whites are the two stand out trails

Whites is billed as an XC trail which put most of us off, will bear the mast starting point in mind though.

Personally I thought Penhydd was very good. Well it was good when combined with Y Wal.

That’s what we’re thinking of, have some snap then finish with Blade.

peter1979
    Free Member

They are all xc trails as its an xc venue really. Plenty of climbing but some great descending as the reward. If you are after a more downhill venue you’re better looking at bikepark Wales, and there are different graded descents to suit all abilities there.

If you are looking for a good ride up and some fun down stick with Afan. Best to start with y-wal and see how the group are feeling after. There is the bike park with 3 short downhill chutes at the top to play on and a couple of jumps. Once you finish y-wal give orbited a crack. It’s got some great descents on it too, but a very labourious first climb.

merynella
    Free Member

Orbited?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cheers Peter – we are down from West Yorkshire (with a couple of brummies in the group for good measure) and riding BPW the day after Afan.

I just don’t want a Dalby-type affair where you’re riding distance for the sake of it.

I don’t mind climbing as long as the descents make it worthwhile so YWall sounds spot on.

peter1979
    Free Member

Sorry, my phone auto corected penhydd to orbited!

merynella
    Free Member

Shame, thought I’d missed a new trail. Orbited sounds like fun.

Y Wal and Penhydd in one day would be a good alternative to W2. Probably not take as long as W2. Cafe stop half way round either, just a different cafe.

superfli
    Free Member

YWal/Penhydd and then onto Blade would be a long day. Yuo are looking at about 5000ft climbing and over 40miles. I wouldnt be too keen on doing that with BPW the next day.
    Although XC, the “older” downs are pretty rocky and when taken at speed are probably tougher/harder going than anything bar the blacks at BPW. Shame you may not be doing Whites or Blade as the climb is fantastic (hard to imagine I know!)

IA

just don’t want a Dalby-type affair where you’re riding distance for the sake of it.

I know exactly what you mean by this, and there’s none of that at Afan, you’re generally either up or down.

TBH I’d just do W2 plus playing around on other bits if you have the fitness.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I take exception at being classed as a Brummie! I may live in the area but that’s as far as it goes!

I thought the plan had changed CC on the Thursday as the warm up, BPW on the Friday as the main event followed by as much of a mince around Afan as people can manage?

My vote for the trails doesn’t count as I’m having to miss the Thursday. Although the Wall does look like fun having seen a few vids.

soobalias
    Free Member

from what i remember the only thing you wont enjoy is skyline.

Twin
    Free Member

Y Wal is great, play around on the bike park bit at the top. if you want to add a bit more distance, the blue scar is a nice taster of a Rowan Sorrel trail and only takes about half an hour, also from the afan centre.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I take exception at being classed as a Brummie! I may live in the area but that’s as far as it goes!

Always be proud of where you are from even if it is Birmingham mate… 😉

Cheers for the info people, getting a bit excited now 😳

mindmap3
    Free Member

Always be proud of where you are from even if it is Birmingham mate…

Still not a brummie though…that conjures up images of people who speak funny!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Scrap Afan and spend the day at Cwmcarn the new XC Cafall is amazing and exposes the other side of the valley where the dragon DH used to be . There is also a new DH which you can do as an off shoot of the XC
    Combined with the Twrch trail and the improved y myndd DH you have an amazing days riding that caters for all comers uplift or not
    Plus it’s closer to BPW for your next days adventure

zelak999
    Free Member

I would say do Penhyyd, Blue Scar and Y Wal or Whites Level.
    Blade is going to be awesome once it dries out, settles and has certain sections repaired.

peter1979
    Free Member

Blade is hard work at the moment. The track is really cut up and very boggy. You can tell it will be a very good track when it dries out, but its been hammered since its opened and the final descent is a real let down after all that climbing. If you start with y-wal, blast the bike park at the top before the final descent. Back to visitors centre for tea and scrumpets then on to penhydd. Its a decent long ride and the rewards are good and both tracks are pretty good at the moment.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Cheers for that Peter.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Afan – In a day, which trails should we be doing?’ is closed to new replies.