Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Afan – anyone know what is open this weekend?
  • mccraque

We’re off to Afan for our annual Welsh pilgrimage this weekend – then realised all too late that the Enduro is on. Seemingly shutting chunks of trail all weekend.

Additionally the MBW website suggests Zigzags and Corker are shut. And I think that the enduro is closing 373 and again mentions ZigZags,

So should we just avoid Y Wall? Is there anything else worth taking into account?

Thanks for any inside knowledge!

frogstomp

From the MTB Ranger South Wales FB page:

The Wall MTB trail 373/374, Zig Zags and Corker sections and the new Six Feet Under event trail as well as Stage 4 will all be closed to non event riders from 7:30am Saturday 23rd June until 5pm Sunday 24th June. Note : all other MTB trails will be unaffected. Zig Zags and Corker will close again due to forest operations however Stage 4 may stay open after the event TBC next week.

P-Jay
    Free Member

So should we just avoid Y Wall?

Yeah, I would.

Is there anything else worth taking into account?

The Enduro event is usually restricted to the Bryn Bettws site and surrounding trails (it sits at the top of the hill mid-way around Y Wal so it usually doesn’t effect the other sites that much. I believe all other trails are open so you should be okay if you avoid Y Wal and of course W2.

mccraque

Ok- thanks for the info!

Tim
    Free Member

So that basically leaves blade and whites?

Is the Glyncorrwyg cafe still open? If so anybody know what time it shuts in the evening?

Mbnut
    Free Member

Cafe very much open and till at least 21.00 on the weekend.

I to realised late I’ve booked up on Enduro weekend.

Tim
    Free Member

so it seems…

https://www.facebook.com/corrwgcwtch/

I have messaged them to double check as i’m paranoid.  Camping so need beers in the eve and breakfast!

Painey
    Free Member

Is there a way of riding the blade trail that cuts out a lot of the bits in the middle? I find a lot of that trail to be a bit “meh” but the final descent is great. As a whole though it seems to be just a lot of climbing whereas whites seems to flow much better.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Got to climb to get the reward 😉

Whites lost its appeal to me when the trees were chopped down on the final descent.

As for Glyncorwwg, they’re trying to get the message out that it’s open…

GLYNCORRWG MOUNTAIN BIKE CENTRE HAS NOT CLOSED!!!

After 8 months we still have visitors coming who are surprised to see us open as it was falsely advertised all over the mountain bike media that we were closed!!!

I will be truly grateful if as many people as possible could share this status … Glyncorrwg Mountain Bike Centre is NOT CLOSED!!! And is very much OPEN … with lots of exciting things planned for the future!!!

Myself and my Dad at Afan a Blast (shop & repairs) took over the lease as “NEW TENANTS” since October 2017 (my Dad since Jan 2018) … and from the feedback we have received apparently it’s now even better than the “good old days”

We are working hard to keep this open so please spread the word for us

Please SHARE SHARE SHARE

Painey
    Free Member

Got to climb to get the reward

I don’t mind the climb! Rather enjoy it actually and yeah, agree about it being better when the trees were there but it’s still fun. Blade just seems to constantly be going up. At least on Whites you get windy point after the climb.

warns74
    Free Member

Painey – an option is to do the first Whites climb up to the end of “two tombstones” (past the abandondoned lawn mower!). When you pop out of the woods at the top turn sharp right onto the fire road and follow for about 1/2 mile. Then you can pick up the last 3rd of Blade from “Helter Skelter”.

Painey
    Free Member

That sounds like a pretty decent option. Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Afan – anyone know what is open this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.