Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Aesthetics question – running skirting underneath a step
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a step down in the room and skirting runs underneath leaving around 10mm gap between top of skirting and underside of step.

I have an idea because I’m not keen on mouldings running underneath steps. 😡 However, as mrs deadly thinks it looks fine, I’d be keen to hear how anyone else thinks it should look under the step.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ordinarily i’d say no but actually i think that looks okay.

Its more like a windowsill than a step.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I agree with you. It’s such a small gap…I’m beginning to think that anything else is going to look too fussy and break the run of the skirting too much. This bloody house…there isn’t a standard sized anything in it. Even the door is about 5 inches too narrow. 😕 😡

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It would look better if you filled the moulding in under the step – if you could do a good job.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I imagine that’s what I’ll end up doing wan. Going to be fun getting a filling knife in there. 🙂

I’ll just shag a bit of foam in there and fill over it. 😮

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

A wee timber fillet would look better.

slackalice
    Free Member

Gap looks fine to me. Presume that’s 145mm skirting, so no real trip hazard, although you could drop the step down.

Not sure about your flooring there, it seems to have been fitted a bit too tightly round the edges for it to buckle like that 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s the risk when you get the cowboys in slack! 😀

robdob
    Free Member

Personally I would have made a plain fascia piece in the same wood as the ledge itself which butted underneath the step and went down to the floor THEN run the skirting up to that fascia. If it’s a step it looks better if its “connected” to the floor and not floating above the skirting.

You wouldn’t put skirting underneath the bottom step of a staircase and that’s why this looks a bit odd in my eyes.

Sandwich

That’s the risk when you get the cowboys in slack!

Better take down the hitching rail out the front! 8)

nickjb
    Free Member

What robdob said. Solid piece of timber to the floor, thicker than the skirting. Butt the skirting to that. That said if the skirting was already in I’m not sure I’d bother changing it. Its quirky features like this that give older home character

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, both the step and the skirting are new. The step was made from an old rejected piece of window board and covers over a horrible concrete coating that had been carpeted. I had thought originally of bringing the step out into the room a bit more and having an oak riser or softwood (painted to match the skirting) underneath it but the room is small enough as it is. To the right of the door as we’re looking, there’s a wall around a foot away so the step would have been quite intrusive. Also, a piece of oak in the middle of a straight run of skirting might look a bit weird too.

Bit of a weird one for sure and any solution was going to have its drawbacks, and I know I’ve broken some rules, but hey, I’m a maverick (and so is my horse). 🙂

EDIT: and the plan next year is to enlarge the opening to take French doors, at which point we’ll take the whole thing down to floor level anyway.

avdave2

The thing about this sort of decision is that you look at it for ages, consider all the options, test different ideas, implement the best one and then spend years looking at it wondering if it were the best option and what you would do if you were doing it again and in all those years not a single other living being ever even looks at it or frankly gives a shit. 🙂

russ295
    Free Member

Festool midi in the background I see?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…what you would do if you were doing it again and in all those years not a single other living being ever even looks at it or frankly gives a shit.

😆 QFT!

Indeed. Well spotted that man.

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve got 2. An old one in the garage and a shiny new one (£50 off voucher a few weeks ago) that I couldn’t resist at £250 less vat!

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

[Quote] and the plan next year is to enlarge the opening to take French doors, at which point we’ll take the whole thing down to floor level anyway[\quote]

Don’t waste your time now. You’ve other more pressing aesthetic issues to worry about innthat phoo 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Aesthetics question – running skirting underneath a step’ is closed to new replies.