Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Aeris One45 – Initial Build Notes
  • mikeyd
    Free Member

Frame arrived early last week, big thanks to Bird for the quick turnaround.

Reusing as many parts from my existing bike (Tracer VP) at the moment to keep costs down, however I did have to buy boost wheels.

Quick spin around Haldon yesterday went well, bike feels stable and climbs very well, the rear travel is like butter compared to the Tracer. Needs to be tested on some proper Dartmoor trails before I can say anything more insightful.

Some general notes about the build, in particular trying to bodge old parts to fit new standards;

Bike is very long, (ML model – I’m 5’8″), wheelbase comes in around 1250mm compared to the tracer at around 1140mm which also had a 2degree slackset fitted.

This meant that my existing rear brake hose is a bit short, will need to fit a new hose at some point. Also it needed a whole Clarks rear gear cable outer without trimming.

26″ Marzocchi 55rc3 Ti Evo, 650b wheels just about fit with <1mm clearance. This fork has a 44mm offset which is similar to a lot of 650b specific forks. Will probably need some new forks for the winter slop. Tyre is a 2.3 butcher.

XTR triple M970 cranks with Superstar oval ring. Initially tried to fit the ring on the middle tab, however it clashed with the chainstay. This would have given a chainline of around 50mm. Ended up fitting on the outside tab giving a chainline of around 56mm. Whilst not ideal (53mm recommended), it seems to work ok on the 42T at the back (10speed) and provides a better chainline for the gears I use the most – 11-36.

Bird have thought about the UK rider with this frame, nice features include; massive rear tyre clearance, pre-drilled BB to let water out, plenty of cable attachments to run full length cables, stealth dropper compatibility.

Will update when I’ve had a chance to hit some proper Gnar trails..

coomber
    Free Member

Awesome. I love it.

Couldn’t ride with that front tyre clearance though would worry me too much!

Looking forward to riding Haldon when I’m fit again

riklegge

Awesome! Can’t wait for mine to arrive.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Picked mine up Monday, maiden ride yesterday – complete build though – and I still get shocked at how good it is. Needs a more aggressive riding style than my last bike but I kinda like that..

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nice looking bike. That 1mm clearance, is that to the brace or have you checked the tyre doesn’t touch the crown if the forks bottom?

mikeyd
    Free Member

1mm at the brace, I haven’t checked the crown clearance yet, but the internet told me it wasn’t a problem… will go and check properly now I think!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I think I would, just to be sure

mikeyd
    Free Member

175mm tyre to crown, 170mm available travel on stanchion.

Couldnt get anymore than 160mm travel out of it with the spring out, last 10mm might be a rubber bumper, can’t remember the internals setup.

Should be fine…

superstu
    Free Member

Great bike but that clearance isn’t enough IMHO – tyre will quickly pick up dirt and mud and be hitting the brace.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Yeah, it’ll be ok in the dry but will get some 650b forks soon.

The mudhugger (cut out at the middle) seems to do a good job of funnelling stones/mud through the arch, only noticed a couple of bits of stone interference on some fairly loose tracks

jruk
    Free Member

Mike, you’ll love up on the moor. Went out on my mk1.5 this morning (yes, it was very, very wet in the cleave!) and the grip it gives is amazing.

I’ve had mine for a year now and I’m getting faster and faster on it. Kim, Traily and Gerbilator seem to bring the best out of them up at Haldon.

Nice to know there’s another member of flock down here 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

What size chain ring are you running?

chakaping
    Free Member

I know how hard it is to part with those forks, they were the best I ever had – but I think you’re gonna have to pony up for a 650b fork.

The Lyrik is much closer to the performance of the 55 than the Pike if that helps (though I’ve not ridden the new Pike yet).

mikeyd
    Free Member

32 oval chainring with 11-42 10spd. When this stuff wears out I’m going to either go 34 oval with a 11-46 sunrace or 32 oval with a 10-42 sram

Forks will either be pikes, lyriks or X-fusion Sweeps. Whatever’s out there at the time

nuke

Interesting on the sizing as im surprised you went M/L…did you try before you bought?

Im similar size, maybe an inch more and id put myself slap in the M sizing based on eTT & reach plus, wanting to run a 125mm dropper, id need the shorter seattube of the medium

mikeyd
    Free Member

I didn’t try, I sent my dims to bird, which is 5ft8 with an inside leg of approx. 31″.

They recommended a ML run with a short (35mm) stem.

I’m using a 125mm reverb “slammed” which is the perfect height for me.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Haldon again today due to weather and time constraints,

Forks of doom were fine in the the mud, no scraping etc.

Even though it was wet I was nearly as fast as I was in the dry (and fitter) on the Tracer, the only difference was I didn’t feel like I was pushing my ability to the limit with this bike – had one near off, which I’m convinced would have been an actual off on the Tracer.

So far feels like a bike that I’ll be able to get faster on the more I ride it.

eulach

Thanks OP. I know it’s a thinly disguised look at my new toy thread but useful and practical info there.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Ha, yeah, first proper new bike since 2008, I’m not used to this level of excitement.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Aeris One45 – Initial Build Notes’ is closed to new replies.