Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Advice pls, simpleish walking map gps for the missus
  • towzer

Hi

I’m a satmap user, both 10 and 20 but they’re too big/bulky etc……. and the 10 doesn’t integrate to apple easily.

So After a secondhand gps for the missus for walking (load a route and follow) so
    – moving os map type, at least 50,000 scale , pref 25000
    – ability to load up gpx/routes (I use memory map)from apple kit
    – lightish and smallish ( fit in pocket easily etc) – phone size I suspect
    – easy to use.
    – garmin has been mentioned.
    – 6hr battery life as min
    – not hideously expensive

She has os maps app on her phone but my suggestion of using that and carrying a powerbrick didn’t hit the mark.

Any ideas , ta.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Memory Map Adventurer 2800 would work if you can find one. Out of production but come up on eBay for £50 or less. Having Memory Map already you can use probably your license if it only has limited maps on it. Unfortunately the new maps are not compatible with the 2800, 2015 work 2021 doesn’t.

nedrapier

You could look for a Garmin Oregon. AA batteries last 10-12 hours, curvy back feels nice in the hand with a languages round toe wrist.

You can put whatever maps you want on there, OS, open source, geotagged photo of the Wonderful Woodland Pixie Trail map.

Loads of options to set up your map views, days boxes to show what you want, but spend an hour or so exploring the options and your profile’s set up and you don’t have to worry about it again.

Maybe a bit big for a pocket, though.

rjmccann101

So I’ve got the OS maps app, lots of OS maps, a Garmin Oregon and a Garmin Fenix 6 S watch with the TalkyToaster Uk maps loaded and since I started using the watch the others don’t get a look in.

These days I carry my phone and a paper map and compass in my back pack but do 99.99% of the route following on the watch. Very occasionally I’ll open the OS app to get a bigger view but that’s really rare.

The watch lasts fine for all day epics and if you get one of the newer solar ones it’ll even recharge when you are out and about. You can pick up a 2nd hand Fenix 5 for under £200 I think and it will do route following no problem.

nuke

I ve had various gps devices (etrex etc) but for the last couple of years I’ve just used a smartphone with os maps app: big screen, all the other functions of a smartphone and familiar to use….cant see me swapping back to a gps device. I swapped to a G7 Power to add extra battery life over my ‘spare’ OnePlus 1 i was using but even that could run for several hours happily if i turned off services.

The G7 Power though is far better and I’ve run it attached to my bike with screen always on & all services and its still had good battery after 6 hours plus. If i use it for occasionally looking whilst hiking, i doubt it would be under 50% after a days walk

scotroutes

I use an Oregon for walking. Size is fine. Multiple maps loaded so I can choose them depending on the route. Rechargeable AAs give me 14-16 hrs battery life. Newer versions are much easier to download routes/upload tracks with Bluetooth. Currently experimenting with Komoot as a planning tool..

As an aside – Solar power watches…  My watch is mostly under the sleeve of my jacket/jersey or glove depending on time of year so I’ve yet to be convinced of their efficacy. And when the weather is shit and I need to look at a GPS, the last thing I’d want to do is start mucking about with gloves and sleeves. I guess they’ve a place in milder conditions.

Flaperon

Garmin GPSmap 64s. Maps from anywhere, for anywhere, indestructible, insane battery life, reliable, easy to use, and built-in navigation capabilities so it’ll take you somewhere (or back to the start) using public ROW.

No touchscreen so everything can be managed while wearing winter gloves.

You can get the same capabilities in a Fenix watch but the GPSmap is just easier. They’re not made any more so probably cheap as chips on eBay.

onewheelgood

I use OS maps on the phone. Don’t need a power brick because as long as you’ve downloaded the map beforehand it works fine with the phone in airplane mode, which also has the added benefit of ensuring an uninterrupted walk.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Advice pls, simpleish walking map gps for the missus’ is closed to new replies.