Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • Advice please – looks like I've been scammed
  • scotia
    Free Member

9 days long?

no communication for the last 3 days?

if you were selling something for £975 wouldn't you want the money in your account/.

speaking to RBS now …..again

never, ever again….

The monday you sent it doesnt count, so thats 8 days…you need to phone your bank and ask them how long it can take, but i seem to remember 10 working days..

I transferred 40k by internet banking, and it took 10 days…

philsimm
    Free Member

Denis, what's his history like on the Canon forum?

Have you tried google mapping his postcode as mentioned above to make sure the address he's given you exists?

Presumably the name on the bank details is the same name as he's given you?

have you tried doing a directory enquiries search for his home phone number?

Isn't there some dodgy way of tracing a location of a mobile phone signal or did i dream that?

Denis99
    Free Member

There's no history on the Canon forum

Got his name address and bank details plus his mobile number and email address.

Google maps show the address exists

Nothing in BT directories for a landline phone number though – but more people just use a mobile these days.

Don't know dodgy stuff, I'm a pretty straight forward (too) trusting type……

hora
    Free Member

I'm a pretty straight forward (too) trusting type…..

Trusting isn't the word I'd use.

Denis99
    Free Member

maybe not, but I'm me and I treat people the way I'd like to be treated.

haven't always come out of things in life on the winning side – but see plenty of people who have no trust or compassion.

I pity them, hope I'm not stung for a grand here, and it will teach me a sad lesson…….

But life will go on, and if I've been scammed , then who knows who this chap will scam next

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

If has ripped you off which I sincerely hope he hasn't might be a nice idea to join up to the various well known photo sites that have classifieds and make people aware of him

Tango-Man
    Free Member

I live near Preston, I have a nice pleasant attitude and like trips out to quite places……….. I can even collect things

singletrackmind

I would be PM'ing Tango Man if I were you.
    Have you googled his name and address, and his Cannon Forum sign in name?
    Its a 4 hour drive . I would be on the motorway 5am sat morning for £975
    Good Luck

hora
    Free Member

Step it up a gear I reckon. Shake the tree and see what falls out.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I live near Preston I can film it for you and post it up later if that helps

pk-ripper
    Free Member

you have the address.

You can verify that the address exists via googlemaps etc.

You can take a trip up there, and if you do, knock on the neighbours door first, and be completely polite and ask if they've seen Mr X recently as you're trying to get hold of him (don't tell them why just yet). If they have, then go knock on his door and ask for your money back.

Sadly, you're not the only one to get scammed. I was done for £80 from here by some scrote from Plymouth (hence Hora's question). Really pissed me off, but what goes around comes around. Maybe that particular gent might piss someone bigger and nastier off than me. I hope so.

Denis99
    Free Member

I do have his address, and google maps confirm it exists.

I've sent him an email explaining that if he doesn't get in touch with me tomorrow then he leaves me no option but to begin the small claims / police/ solicitor route.

No response yet – no answer to the mobile number he's given me either.

I am thinking about the four hour drive , but what do I do if he's not there and even more so can't get his hands on £975 in cash? Because his promise of getting the money to me would be pretty valueless.

Wouldn't trust a cheque off him either as he can stop this payment also.

He could get aggressive – I'm too old for that sort of thing now, and haven't had a fight since I was in school – read over 40 years ago (suppose I a stupid old xxxxxx, now).

This whole episode has really got me down…… Could do with a bit of help.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

sadly there's not an easy solution i can think of really – good luck though and hope it does turn out to be legit.

AlasdairMc

I'll reiterate what I said earlier – you don't know that he has the money!! Reporting it to the police won't work at all as you can't prove he's lying, at best all you'll do is alienate him if he is being truthful.

Telling him to get in touch with you tomorrow won't work, it's an unreasonable deadline and you have no proof he's reading his emails.

Post a letter first class signed for, asking him to get in touch. Make sure you use a service with decent tracking so you can confirm he's at home as you can see who signed for it.

hora
    Free Member

Issue here is your bank has verified what a/c numbers hes given you and what you have paid into.

Hes definitely given you the right a/c number- you've gone back and asked him to reconfirm?

So the money is in his banks system. His bank isn't obliged to give you any information at all. Which means it has to be driven by him (with permission from him/request where the funds are). If hes not forthcoming with this little bit of human-nature then I would honestly involve the Police now.

Even if he geniunely hasn't received it any decent human being would investigate where its gone. Initially I'd think you were trying it on with me but with your insistence I'd start digging, phone call etc. At the very least I'd do this- partly to close off the subject and put it to bed eitherway/get rid.

Can take upto two weeks- Sorry. I really don't believe that in this day and age.

Sorry, I'd involve the Police now and say unfortunately you feel you are the victim of a fraudulent transaction that didnt involve anything to sell. It can't be doing your blood pressure any justice.

What if this seller is actually doing it to others and turns out to be a teenager laughing his head off in his parents house? Far-fetched I know. Still.

Would I wait two weeks for someone to say 'no mate, nothing received'? No. Be proactive now. I wouldnt worry about him suddenly ignoring you- doesnt sound like hes being bothered anyway. Police involvement would make him sit up.

Call his local force to start with.

Denis99
    Free Member

Thanks hora

I'm going to start this today – he will have received the confirmation of the bank transfer from me to his bank account this morning.

I also included a letter to remind him that I've been trying to contact him via phone and email for days, and he's been ignoring me.

Doesn't sound like he cares etc.

Perhaps some official intervention will resolve one way or the other.

~~

My bank says – the money would have reached his account by now – if there was a problem with the transaction it would have come back to me by now as undeliverable.

I asked him to double check the account details he gave me — no reply.

~~

If he was genuine, and wanted to get the money for his lens (after all it nearly 2 weeks since I originally contacted him), he would be wanting his money for the lens.

Next stop is the police station.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is the rough address of seller/street postcode. I will tell you if it is a rough area or not…you can read into that what you want

Denis99
    Free Member

Ribbleton

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ribbleton

I was warned by a local to keep well away from there 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Step it up a gear I reckon. Shake the tree and see what falls out.

Funniest thing I have read today.

MikeG

mmmm, a couple of years old but it was a poverty hotspot hope it works out for you

Junkyard
    Free Member

mixed area could not the worst nor the besta area. Some deprived areas but mainly terrace houses with posher areas on the edges. No help really as not a fully chav area nor a posh area
    Sorry
    E-mail me address I can hand deliver a note if you want ..no calling/violence/bombers offered on my part

hora
    Free Member

Postcode for google streetview please 🙂

scotia
    Free Member

Denis, Accept the offers from locals on here to maybe go round and deliver a note? save you a drive to start with?

MrGrim

STW middle class pedantry on lock on mode. He lives in whats classed as a lower end neighbourhood, therefore he must be a scum of the earth low life thief. 🙄

I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt for a week. If no response then involve your local police and give them all the details you have for them to send it to the police local to that address. A chap on the door by the local police might be enough to kick him into action or refund the money if he has received it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is this not the classic kind of case where the Police say "it's a civil matter"?

timc
    Free Member

im near preston, i know of a few people who will get your money back, but will want 25%… haha

donsimon
    Free Member

Can take upto two weeks- Sorry. I really don't believe that in this day and age.

It's not a question of technology, I think it's more to do with what the banks do with your money during this period. If the bank wants to play with your money for two weeks, they can and will.

Maybe talking to the bank again mentioning fraud, theft and the police might get them to look a bit more carefully.

Good luck.

DaveGr
    Free Member

I was scammed a few years ago involving a cheque. I was with the Nationwide and they were no help at all. They treated me like the criminal. I reported it to the Police who tried but couldnt't trace the person. As I had reported it to the Police they were able to get a copy of the cheque, acccount details it was paid into etc. From this I could prove that the name of the account didn't match exactly what was on the cheque (cheque was crossed so had to match) and therefore the Nationwide had to reverse the payment. Though I had to get copies of the relevant legislation to prove all this to them. Bottom line, report it to the Police so they can get involved. Nationwide were useless.

Denis99
    Free Member

timc – Member
    im near preston, i know of a few people who will get your money back, but will want 25%… haha

I'm glad its amused some……………….

~~

Police involved – will hear in 24 hours from the police what is happening. A neighbour of mine is a policeman, he has advised me not to get involved – his words – there are some dangerous and desperate xxxx's out there, and you could get hurt.

So thanks to all for the offers of help, but I'm a straightforward type – I'll have to let it run officially with the police.

I suppose the one thing I've learnt from this is that I will never conduct another transaction for less than say £20 online ever again.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Hope it all gets sorted out soon with a satisfactory conclusion for you

Nothing is 100% safe, but a bit of research before you commit is always a good idea
    I would never buy online from a new member here who had just started using the classifieds, same on any site really

Talk Photography is pretty good with its trader ratings and gives you a good idea about a persons trustworthiness

Maybe its time for something like that on all sites, something that has been mentioned here before and obviously needs doing where you bought from

Just out of interest being a Canon user myself, which site was it exactly?

Xylene
    Free Member

I've paid for items on BR and it's taken 8 days for the funds to get there. Still 950 no communication, sounds like it's gone.

hora
    Free Member

there are some dangerous and desperate xxxx's out there, and you could get hurt.

Thats why I said Police at the start. There are people out there with less to loose than me and you in many ways. They see scamming someone as 'their earnings' and the unfortunate is just a money source/should know better/tough.

The key to your communication with the Police is persistence and asking for info to be logged and you to be called back. If you are not- chase. Dont give up especially as you have a trace on this person.

Its a cash/fraud-crime NOT CIVIL.

stevomcd
    Free Member

We take most of our payments by bank transfer and the time for them to come through can vary a lot. Some people's come through almost instantly, some take several days.

hora
    Free Member

Should the OP wait 6 weeks 'just incase'?

Denis99
    Free Member

I've had a phone call from the police saying that they will be pushing this case as it is fraud.

Hope to hear from the Lancashire police in the next 24 hours – at least they are taking a real interest and seem to want to do something about this.

Hope I see my money again……..

CountZero

Luck.

rustler
    Free Member

Hope it works out for you mate.

Northwind

Denis99 – Member

"My bank says – the money would have reached his account by now – if there was a problem with the transaction it would have come back to me by now as undeliverable."

This is cobblers, a substantial minority of problem payments aren't returned, but instead drop into a suspense account awaiting further action. But it's pretty rare for a payment made to correct account details to fail to arrive.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – looks like I've been scammed’ is closed to new replies.