Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Advice on turbo trainer
  • Shackleton

Mrs Shackleton recently broke her back and although is now able to do some exercise she can’t do high impact activity. She would like to keep her riding fitness up so we have been looking at getting a turbo trainer so she can ride safely without worrying about potholes, ironworks and cars.

I’ve never been keen on roadie stuff let alone the whole indoor cycling thing and she isn’t a gear freak so between us we have no idea what is good, etc.

I’d seen the Minoura B60-R which looks to be good vfm, any opinions? We don’t have a lot of money to spend, £150 max, so the top end super dooper ones are out.

All advice gratefully received.

P

flange
    Free Member

If she’s just using it for recovery, I’d say go for a cheaper one. Anything with power (bar the top end ones) is a bit of a waste of time because they don’t use a proper strain gauge. If she’s planning on intervals, or zone work then maybe a decent bike computer to measure cadence and HR is worthwhile, but if she’s spending a lot of time on it the biggest factor will be boredom.

The other alternative is rollers – she’ll have to use her core a bit more which could be a good or bad thing, but they’re more ‘interesting’ to use and it actually feels like you’re riding as oppose to just sitting and spinning.

What bike is she doing it on? If its MTB, then you’ll need either a slick/turbo tyre or a turbo that works off the rim.

My suggestion would be
    Cheap turbo off of Ebay <£80
    Slick tyre C£20
    Lots of DVD’s/Downloads off iTunes/TV

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I much prefer my new minoura one to my old cyclops MAG, the minoura is significantly quieter for the same speed/effort and the resistance goes much higher, easily high enough to simulate a fast pace on the flat or a gentle hill but is still quieter even flat out.

Shackleton

She’ll be doing it on a road bike. Given that she goes spinning I imagine she will use it once she has recovered. A decent bike computer is a good idea though.

Rollers sound a bit dangerous for someone with a broken spine!

Cheers,

P

Shackleton

TINAS – which Minoura one do you have?

flange
    Free Member

Rollers sound a bit dangerous for someone with a broken spine!

Fair point, not my best idea! That said, start riding them next to a wall and you’ll be fine

Its also true about the quietness thing. I’d imagine if you’re in a flat then a gel one might be a better bet. It never bothers me because I’ve got headphones in – might be better asking my neighbours!

tron
    Free Member

Decathlon tend to have turbo trainers out on the shop floor for you to try out. Have you got one local?

iDave
    Free Member

I’m selling a JetBlack for £80

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Minoura hypermag 1200 (according to google images).

No longer made but crops up on the classifides for ~£80 now and again and the new ones look very similar.

Shackleton

Thanks for the advice.

I don’t think we have a decathlon in Newcastle but thanks for the tip.

Cheers all,

P

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I use the cat eye cadence computer which has a rear sensor mount to provide cadence/speed data. Polar for HRM and that covers it for me.

meehaja
    Free Member

Go second hand, turbos are like gym membership, good intentions flag after a few months! MAke sure its got a resistance adjuster for the handlebars (mine doesn’t and its proper annoying!).

put some wood or similar under front wheel to balance the level of the bike out, or the lean forward will hurt her wrists, get a good fan, a well ventilated area and download some sufferfest videos!

DT78
    Free Member

I have a second hand tacx satori which is pretty good, it is quite loud though. Use my Garmin 800 for HR and cadence. Don’t forget a nice big fan.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice on turbo trainer’ is closed to new replies.