Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • advice on smoothing / levelling garage floor, please
  • Markie
    Free Member

Hi. So, our garage is about 5m by 5m and has a rough (tamped, I think they say) finish.

I would like it to be smooth. And painted! It is mostly used for storeage. Including of bikes. Mrs M would like her next car to be small enough to fit in as well.

Does the below plan seem a reasonable way to go about it? Should I install the threshhold seal before levelling and painting or after? If asfter, do I just stick a piece of wood across the opening to hold the gloop in? I think the floor is level now, just rough.

Thanks!

My current plan is to

1. use acylic primer on floor (and blockwork walls)

2. put in a threshold seal

3. use self levelling floor compound on the floor to make it smooth.

4. paint the walls with the appropriate paint

5. paint the floor with appropriate resin floor paint.

goldfish24

Yes but not sure what primer you are referring to in step 1. Follow the instructions on the self leveller bag to the letter. It will usually be an SBR primer, two coats watered down. The bag will recommend the same brand of primer, should be ok sticking with whatever sbr you find in wickes Tho. I think wickes sell sbr in 1 ltr bottles which is good cos you usually only get 5l and that would do 100 garages.

Well done for choosing a leveller that is suitable as a final wear surface, few are.

And regarding resin floor paint, if you mean two part epoxy then fantastic, top notch. General floor paints might be ok but I can’t recommend them.

Markie
    Free Member

Thank you!

Internet reassurance is just what I needed!

Yes, will use a 2 part epoxy paint.

Follow to letter, yep.

Assume you are saying yes to threshold weather strip being put down first?

Cheers!

goldfish24

Yep makes sense to do that first and work up to it with leveller.

Markie
    Free Member

Thank you very much.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Bikes, shelving, a bench and a tiny MX-5 make a 5x5m garage feel pretty cramped imo. You can get stuff in and out and work on a bike but it was much easier before I put the car in it.

Markie
    Free Member

Yep! But in the absence of a garage rebuild, it’s where we at. I thought that the width would be okay to allow for bikes on the side, so when need to do bike stuff can just reverse car out onto drive? That’s the plan, anyhow?

sweepy
    Free Member

I think you need to put your foot down with a firm hand. A car has absolutely no place taking up space in your garage.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

5m x 5m can be quite a levelling job for the uninitiated. Levelling compound starts to cure a lot more quickly than people think. Depending on how much you want to throw at it…a few suggestions:

Have a few yellow builders buckets and mix a few bags at a time – if you can cajole a mate into helping – he or she can do the mixing and washing out while you’re pouring and spreading.

To help flow, I’d probably always leave a handful of powder in the bag – no more than that!! When you think it’s mixed enough, mix it for another minute or two.

Consider buying a latex rake (google it – readily available) to help spread and keep a consistent depth.

A spiked roller (again google it) helps disperse air bubbles. But this is probably a bit of a luxury.

Not sure how expensive the above two are – might set you back 50 or 60 quid, but if you clean them spotlessly after the job, you could probably shift them on Facebook marketplace afterwards and get some of your money back.

Markie
    Free Member

I think you need to put your foot down with a firm hand. A car has absolutely no place taking up space in your garage.

Space might then be found for me under the patio.

I’m definately uninitiated! My parents have been with us since lockdown started so figured dad could be my mixer while I poured and levlled. Will check out the rake and roller. Obvs hoping to do it all properly so it lasts, but equally not so concerned about wanting a pro job that I’m prepared to pay the £6500 I was quoted to get it done!

Thanks all!

dashed
    Free Member

I’d definitely use a 2 part epoxy not normal floor paint. I did a shed / outbuilding with self-levelling compound a couple of years ago and painted it with basic wickes garage floor paint. It’s not high traffic, no vehicles and still it’s lifting and peeling all over the place.

Oh, and I’d get a spiked roller – I ended up with lots of small air bubbles. Not the end of the world but in some places the bubbles were too big to paint over and left an imperfect finish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘advice on smoothing / levelling garage floor, please’ is closed to new replies.