Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice on GPS bike computers
  • strike
    Free Member

I’ve been riding with a mate who’s just bought a super-doopr Garmin (810?) and he sent me a link to a url showing all the stats and route that we took – I’m impressed! However, I don’t want to several £300plus as he has….

So what I’m after is a bike computer that can map my route and stats, and then the route can be overlayed on to an OS map. Possibly also be used as route-finder as well.

I don’t care about heart rate, cadence etc.

What are the cheaper options?

Thanks-in-advance.

Freester

If you have a smartphone with GPS you can log your track and upload it to your website of choice already.

Otherwise have a look at the cheaper Garmin options such as the 200/500/510 which don’t have the sooper dooper map displays.

KZP894
    Free Member

I use a Garmin Dakota 20 with the OS mapping on it. Good bit of kit and as it is not cycle specific can be used for other sports. Still a fairly expensive option, was will be the case if you opt for a unit that displays OS maps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bails

Garmin released a model based on the 800 (‘touring’) or similar, that records the route and does navigation but does’t have all the ‘roadie’ stuff like HRM, powermeter, cadence etc. Might be worth a look?

I’ve got an 800 and it’s great, a lot of money, but I wouldn’t want to use my phone for a full day’s navigation.

traildog
    Free Member

I like the 500. It’ll record your ride and stats which you can review afterwards. It has no display, but you can set a route and you can then follow a breadcrumb trail. Lots of other features and while it’s not cheap it’s a lot cheaper and smaller than the 800

gwaelod
    Free Member

consider Garmins non cycling GPS – the Etrex20 can run open street maps and will do on road navigation as well as recording a track you can upload. A lot cheaper than an 800.
    do a bit of googling about it.

nedrapier

Someone asked for something pretty similar a couple of days ago, you might find some useful info in here:

best gps for mtb?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice on GPS bike computers’ is closed to new replies.