Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Advice on forks, bolt through 15mm 20mm HELP
  • tweedviper
    Free Member

Hi all after some advice on forks, I am currently running some Fox Talas 100/120/140mm on my stumpjumper with standard qr skewer, I love the forks but can’t help feeling that I get a bit of sideways roll (if that makes sense) am I likely to benefit from a bolt through for a stiffer steer? I am a bit of a lunker at 6ft 2 and 17 stone (yes I know pies and Stella)so was just wondering if bolt through makes a big difference ?
    I would be very gratefull to hear some educated response

Thanks Tweedy

matt_outandabout

What tyres and rims are you running? I find that they are more of an issue with squirm/twist/movement unwanted than forks.
    (But yes, I do notice a difference between my 15mm Float 32’s and sons Talas 32 on QR’s.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

QR to 15mm made a massive difference to me.

tweedviper
    Free Member

I am currently using Sworks Captains on brand new Mavic Crossrides, but also thinking as it is getting damp I may try a pair of Nobby Nics,
    Tweedy

tweedviper
    Free Member

Thanks MoseyMTB, This is really what I want to hear but don’t want to spend a load of my hard earned only to find no difference.
    Thanks tweedy

tweedviper
    Free Member

So can I convert my standard hub or do I have to buy another new wheel to take 15mm or 20mm bolt through?

matt_outandabout

What size tyres? And at what pressure? Again, don’t go spending lots until you have checked some basics – a narrow rim (any Mavic!) + big tyres = possible feeling of twisting and squirming, and tyre ‘collapsing’ at times. I found Nobby’s and then 2.4 AdVantages (while ace tyres) did this all the time on my Mavics.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Thanks Matt-outandabout
    I run a 2.1 on the front and a 2.0 on the rear, I tend to run 40psi rear and very slightly less on the front, as I mentioned before I am a chubby bugger at 17 stone, with the Nobby Nics I was planning on going 2.25 front and rear as they look really narrow to me but again any advice will be appreciated.
    Tweedy

doom_mountain

I stuck a 9mm thru axle on my old QR forks, definately felt less ‘twangy’. A much cheaper option, managed to get conversion for hub and cheapo Superstar thru axle were £15 off here.

Not as good as a 20mm (which I use on my main bikes) but a cheap and easy option if your happy with your forks?

matt_outandabout

2.1/2.0 should be fine then… especially at 40psi!
    So yes, a bolt through will make a difference.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice I think I will go for it, second question is can I just change my lowers for some 140mm bolt through lowers or do they need to be specific type?

tweedviper
    Free Member

Ok thanks for all advice I have decided I am going to go for it so has anyone got any Fox bolt thru lowers for 32mm 140mm preferably black but if cheap enough will condider anything

Thanks Tweedy

ratherbeintobago

So can I convert my standard hub or do I have to buy another new wheel to take 15mm or 20mm bolt through?

What hubs have you got?

tweedviper
    Free Member

I currently have standard Mavic crossride hubs

ratherbeintobago

I currently have standard Mavic crossride hubs

Mavic website suggests your wheel should work with a 15mm TA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Advice on forks, bolt through 15mm 20mm HELP’ is closed to new replies.