Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Advice on first #enduro tomorrow
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi , my first ever enduro is tomorrow. Just after some advice . It’s all done in one day, practice and racing. Day starts at 8am for practice and race starts at 1pm.

If it was you would you be there for the whole 5 hours of practice ? It’s i think a short course and I am familiar with it (not massively but I have an idea).

It’s also looking like it’s going to be wet. My main thought is energy conservation and so on. Thanks in advance and all tips gratefully received.

legend
    Free Member

My main thought is energy conservation and so on

If it’s a short course (as it sounds like with what you say, and the timings) then energy conservation takes a back seat to absolutely smashing yourself at every opportunity.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yellow wheels, lairy clothing and a pair of goggles will see you at least in to the top 100

atlaz
    Free Member

Unless you’re racing for a top place, surely an extra bit of riding on a course can only increase the fun. If you’re taking the race seriously, go one run through the course or maybe two if it’s really short and then go and rest then warm up on your turbo trainer and go race…

weeksy

Please write up a report for me when you’re done… mine is the week after.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What turbo trainer?

sandwicheater

Rub jaffa cakes on your nipps, drink a beer at each stage and throw everything you’ve got into the practise.

fingerbang
    Free Member

go as fast as possible

try and line up so you’re setting off behind a fast guy and in front of a slower guy, then give the fast guy as much time as you can as overtaking or being overtook can ruin stages

if its short then try and leave the rucksack in the car and take a multi tool, water bottle, spare tube, snack and mini pump either in a pocket, bum bag or strapped on your bike. As I find rucksacks hamper movement on the bike and ruin your centre of gravity

without wishing to sound sexist – being beaten by a girl can destroy your confidence so try and make sure you beat the open women, the factory riders or sponsored riders can smoke most men so just accept it

if you’re not chasing an overall result then I think its better to pin it and risk a crash in order to do well in individual stages. Then if you have a poor overall time then you have a great excuse.

a helmet cam is invaluable for learning your lines but if its a one day event you’ll struggle to have time to do so.

bigjim

without wishing to sound sexist – being beaten by a girl can destroy your confidence so try and make sure you beat the open women, the factory riders or sponsored riders can smoke most men so just accept it

you sir, are a massive fanny.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Is having a car essential as like a place to chill or keep food or clothes and stuff ?

sandwicheater

so try and make sure you beat the open women

Sound advise, ahem.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Enjoy it and don’t die.

You’ll be shocked at how fast some people race so forget about trying to get anywhere near the top.

As.mentioned previously if you have a person or worse a few people behind you that are fast your times will be buggered as you sit and let them past.

If you have riden the stages before don’t worry about getting there at 8 just turn up before and do some warm up riding.

Whats the event?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

For practice I would walk a stage then practice it fast but not flat out. Make sure you have good food and water and an idea when you will eat. Try and relax and enjoy the experience.

A car isn’t necessary, I ride to races from stations 10-15km away. Make sure you have tyres that you are appropriate and you are comfortable on. Get a decent amount of sleep the night before.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks so far. My wife has the car tomorrow for work, so was thinking about spare clothes, food etc. Everything i need i’m going to have to carry i guess , and as it is very wet and muddy thats probably a little more stuff.

I have no chance of winning , no way, but of course I want to do as well as possible.

For the record I believe there is one current MTB orientering World Champion woman racing and three other women who have podiumed in WC events at Downhill.

Event is in Göteborg, Sweden.

http://www.enduroswedenseries.se/deltavlingar/goteborg-27-sep/

Pasta tonight and porridge for breakfast. Think I’ll head there for nine and do as suggested, walk the course then do one ride of each stage. Then try and pin it and do as well as I can, see it is a learning experience for next year.

Final question… wet and slippery course. Nobby nic 2.4 front or Maxxis Ardent 2.4…. 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

without wishing to sound sexist – being beaten by a girl can destroy your confidence so try and make sure you beat the open women

Why would being beaten by a woman ruin your confidence for pity’s sake? If they’re faster, they’ll beat you. Same with the men.

🙄

edlong
    Free Member

without wishing to sound sexist – being beaten by a girl can destroy your confidence so try and make sure you beat the open women

oh dear

weeksy

Ardents.

Rorschach
    Free Member

#pinthemf’r

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Good Ardent already on there and can’t be bothered to change. That’s my competitive streak

kimbers

most of all just enjoy it

make sure you have plenty of fluid, I like to down a litre or so before i start, better to need a piss while you are waiting for the first stage than to have blown through all your drink

if its wet, some tissue in a dry pocket to clean your goggles/ glasses at the start of each stage

have fun!

matther01
    Free Member

Letting ladies win at everything usually ends up with greater rewards for you in the long run 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Should I wear my snowboard goggles? Would that make it look like i knew what i was doing Or quite the opposite?

weeksy

With what helmet?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fox flux

enduro?

weeksy

No, you’ll look like a spacker.

Goggles = full face

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Goggles + pisspot = ENDURO!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Googles + Bell Super = #moreendurothanyou

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Haha spacker! Ok no pisspot plus
    goggles.

jimjam
    Free Member

Snowboard goggles will probably steam up on you unless you can cut away some foam and get some air moving around. My advice would be to take it easy during practice and be careful not to tire yourself out. For the timed sections get as close to your limit as you can but not past it. You’ll be quicker staying clean and tidy and not crashing as opposed to balls lit and crashing.

kimbers

balls lit

that does sound hardcore

grahamt1980

Balls lit?

Would that not damage the saddle?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Advice on first #enduro tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.