Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice on Doing Caledonia Way
  • 100mph
    Free Member

Just after a bit of bike advice for cycling the Caledonia Way.

I’ve volunteered to help a group of disabled cyclist do the Caledonia Way from Campbeltown to Inverness and was wonder what bike was best?

I have either a road bike or currently swaying towards putting road tyres, (~38c/40c), on the 100mm travel MTB bike.

A lot of the disabled riders have e-bikes so can shift, so I need something fairly fast rolling.

Anyone done the route or have any comment?

Ta.

kcal

@scotroutes would be your man (I’m sure there are threads about bike/tyre choice already).

There are a couple of tricky bits (for a road bike) from memory, and that’s just the Fort William / Augustus section). Beyond that its the Loch Ness (either north of south side) and they are definitely not road friendly.

CraigW
    Free Member

The proper Caledonia Way route is mostly on minor roads, or pretty good cyclepaths. Some parts are the same as the Great Glen Way, but it avoids the trickier sections.
    Fort William to Fort Augustus is mostly canal towpaths, fairly good gravel. The forest track alongside Loch Lochy can get a bit rough, but should be OK on 40mm tyres.
    Loch Ness is along the south side, all on road, though a big climb after Fort Augustus.

scotroutes

Mostly covered above I think.

There are a couple of short “off-road” sections such as the Crinan Canal, around Duror and the wee bit into Laggan Locks. However, there is a longer section north of Gairlochy on rough forest track. I managed it on 28mm Marathons, taking a bit of care. Not sure I’d like to try it on anything skinnier.

There is a new cycle/walk path uphill from Fort William, roughly parallel to the road. Don’t be tempted by it unless you are very uncomfortable sharing a road with cars. The path is loose, climbs even higher than the road and has a couple over very steep sections.

Don’t underestimate the hilliness of the first day or so.

Make sure you have the number for the Camusnagaul ferryman. He is normally very accommodating if your schedule changes – unless there is a shinty match on.

It’s a lovely route. I need to return and do it a bit slower next time 😉

https://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2016/09/ncn78-caledonia-way-in-day.html

100mph
    Free Member

Thanks all.

scotroutes

Bollocks. That should say Fort Augustus in my previous post, not Fort William!

13thfloormonk

There is a new cycle/walk path uphill from Fort William, roughly parallel to the road. Don’t be tempted by it unless you are very uncomfortable sharing a road with cars. The path is loose, climbs even higher than the road and has a couple over very steep sections.

Did you mean this bit Scotroutes? e.g. the section above is uphill from Ft Augustus? Is this part of the GGW?

Ta

scotroutes

Other (South) side of Loch Ness. It’s a purpose-built dual use track, party funded by the Glen Doe hydro scheme. Now runs all the way up to Loch Tarff where it crosses over the road to link up with the existing South Loch Ness Trail. It’s being used as part of the Loch Ness 360 route.

13thfloormonk

Ah OK, I do all my route planning on Strava, it doesn’t seem to recognise anything except the road!

Been up to the Glendoe Reservoir yet? 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice on Doing Caledonia Way’ is closed to new replies.