• This topic has 73 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Advice on a car I bought new from a dealer – missing parts? what else?
  • Drac

zero trip meter = the lads were using it for commuting while it was in there care.

Dealers record the mileage from odometer though, at least whenever I book mine in the have.

wwaswas

Dealers record the mileage from odometer though

It was in for bodywork – would they even note the before and after mileage?

wwaswas

Also, have there been any recalls on that model?

perchypanther
    Free Member

That’s not very nice

You’re right. Who am I to judge?

I apologise.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If they were, I would have expected them to put everything back and not miss bits but we all make mistakes e.g. I fitted a 11 SPD mtb cassette on a 11 spd road hub and forgot the spacer I found while putting my tools away.

They are supposed to tell me if they do anything but it’s just dodgy even for BMW/Mini – same garage.

I’m going to just drive it like I stole it.

perchypanther – I have made silly posts in the past and apologised but I’m not here for attention. I just wanted to know what others would do.

Will call the dealer and ask for an explanation and replace the screws with new covers.

Drac

It was in for bodywork – would they even note the before and after mileage?

They did mine went in, it stops dodgy claims.

johndoh
    Free Member

OP did you note the actual overall milage before and after they had the car?

plyphon
    Free Member

Car drives like new and I’ll get rid of it in 3 years and buy something else.

Alright mate you don’t have to prove anything to anyone here

twinw4ll
    Free Member

£32k WoWza, you could get a 370Z with change for coke and hookers for that.

TedC

Most likely reason for the trip being reset is that the workshop instructions (even for body work) most likely say right near the start “disconnect battery”. Odometer is protected from a battery disconnect, but trip is probably not.

As for the screw heads/caps, most likely explanation is that they were never fitted, if they had of been, you would never have noticed the screw heads.

For the screw heads, can’t see where they are, but from description, they sound like they are part of the instrument cluster, and probably wouldn’t have been touched by anybody at BMW (at dealer or in manufacturing), they would have been put in at the instrument cluster manufacturer – where they would have been fitted using power tools, with reasonable risk of scuffing the heads, but as they are supposed to be covered by caps, it wouldn’t normally be visible. They would just have fitted the overall assembly at the car factory.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

OP did you note the actual overall milage before and after they had the car?

Yes took a photo. Was the same odometer but 000 trip when it had 9.2 miles.

plyphon – Member
    Car drives like new and I’ll get rid of it in 3 years and buy something else.
    Alright mate you don’t have to prove anything to anyone here

I meant nothing except it will be out of warranty. I bought a new car hoping I wouldn’t need to worry about cut and chop.

All my cars have been old bangers I put right. Thought I would buy something new to keep for a long time.

There were many different and better cars at that price but I wanted something different- should of bought a new bicycle.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Yes took a photo. Was the same odometer but 000 trip when it had 9.2 miles.

So the overall milage wasn’t any higher but you’re annoyed someone pushed a button? As has been said, could have been a battery disconnect.

Do you know for sure that the screw covers were missing before it went in to have the stone chips addressed? My thoughts would be they were never there and you’ve only just noticed, screws may have been marked during manufacture.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thought I would buy something new to keep for a long time.

A long time? 3 years?

I have only bought 1 new car, I kept it for 17 years.

What an odd post this whole thing is!

giantalkali
    Free Member

Chop it in for an RX8 while you still can…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I believe there is a way of setting it all back to zero to get rid of the “delivery mileage” but its only possible to do it once.

Perhaps it was delivered with KPH clocks and they have been changed to MPH?

Drac

I have only bought 1 new car, I kept it for 17 years.

Not everyone is the same as you.

nealglover
    Free Member

I believe there is a way of setting it all back to zero to get rid of the “delivery mileage” but its only possible to do it once.

Not that I’ve ever heard of. Not e legitimate way anyway. Why would it need to be done?

Perhaps it was delivered with KPH clocks and they have been changed to MPH?

I reckon the OP would have noticed that when he bought the car?

legend
    Free Member

Seriously though……… £32k on a Mini 🙂

scotroutes

🙄

😆

I reckon the OP would have noticed that when he bought the car?
    [/quote]
    Not if he’s only done 9.2 miles 😉

deviant
    Free Member

This thread is brilliant…so the millage is the same, the OP is just annoyed that someone reset the trip clock?…as the millage is only 10 miles anyway?…seriously OP, what exactly are you wanting to record on the trip meter in those first 10 miles?…and you have a photo anyway!…just add on 10 miles if you’re one of those saddos who tries to work out their real MPG when they buy a new car.

Regards the screw caps, yes in a modern car that would look ugly, contact the dealer and ask for some, he’s just sold you a 32k car, if you point it out they probably have some in the workshop they’ll give you.

I once drove a brand new motorcycle off the forecourt and rode home down a freshly tarmac’d road in the summer…bloody thing was covered in tar spots when I got home…that’s life.

johndoh
    Free Member

How the hell does it have stone chips after 10 miles?

Drac

Where did he say he’d only done 10 miles?

It also sounds like the stone chip were done pre-delivery which is why the garage is fixing them, although that might be me reading it that way.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hi,

Just carried out some detective work/google…

I’ve been into two dealerships today and the interior plastic screw covers have and haven’t been fitted to various Mini’s including the new showroom JCW.

What owners need to do is check and have fitted.

I’ve ordered them but the service dept won’t let me push them on as it’s a warranty job.

Yep something that would take 5 seconds, I have to take car for a check and then again to be fitted another day…

“They forgot at the factory” was what customer service have told me and not to worry.

Btw the paint is water based and thin/weak. I’m having it touched up as well as the accessory splitters but then having the body wrapped in a clear wrap to stop the paint chipping too easily. Would be cheaper to respray in a few years.

Yes I should have a bought an old Mondeo and a new bike.

Thanks for the advice, sorry to stress anyone out.

nealglover
    Free Member

Not if he’s only done 9.2 miles

Would have said 14.8km though wouldn’t it 😉

Cougar

How the hell does it have stone chips after 10 miles?

From the thousand miles on the back of a transporter?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It was immaculate in the dealership.

Well I drove it from Dover Castle, Wales and to the Orkney Islands and so far covered 3000 miles in two months.

2nd day I had it I heard the dreaded stone click and had to touch up the bonnet from 2 tiny pin hole chips on black paint.

Coming back to the car park and seen other car doors knocking into it. Couple of nicks in the door.

It’s chips so badly. The sales guy tries to park his on it’s own – anal but nobody else has complained apparently…

Mechanics and drive are A1, but the weakness is the thin crap paint. It’s a hoot to drive – really great fun and a doddle to park.

My old 5 E39 is still immaculate after 120K miles. Hardly a scratch and one tiny door chip 15 years old.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m going to just drive it like I stole it.

Oh dear, that’s one up from “making progress” isn’t it?

And in the same post you say you’re not looking for attention.

njee20
    Free Member

People seem to be confusing the trip distance being 9.2 miles with the odometer being 9.2 miles.

So much frothing in one thread, impressive!

nealglover
    Free Member

Mechanics and drive are A1, but the weakness is the thin crap paint

Yep. I did a full machine polish/correction on a Mini Cooper a while back and the paint measured sub 100 microns over the whole car apart from the roof (2nd colour applied over base colour on the roof)

Really crap for cars at that price from a premium brand. Makes correcting defects with a rotary polisher really difficult.

edlong
    Free Member

Was the same odometer

Can you clarify that not only was it the same odometer, but that it was showing the same number of miles on said odometer? I.e. they’ve not taken the opportunity to take it for a long drive or two?

And if so, and if you already knew this – why exactly are you upset that the trip was reset?

matt_outandabout

Drac

Can you clarify that not only was it the same odometer, but that it was showing the same number of miles on said odometer? I.e. they’ve not taken the opportunity to take it for a long drive or two?

And if so, and if you already knew this – why exactly are you upset that the trip was reset?

He’s did back there <—

edlong
    Free Member

So the sum total of the complaint is that some caps are missing off some screws?

Oh, and the trip counter’s been reset?

FFS

Drac

Well errrmmm yes but OP had made the mistake of alcohol and forums too. 😆

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Advice on a car I bought new from a dealer – missing parts? what else?’ is closed to new replies.