• This topic has 73 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Advice on a car I bought new from a dealer – missing parts? what else?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hi,

I bought a brand new car in June and only noticed this week that the speed screws are shiny as the black paint has been scratched off by a screwdriver and the dust caps are missing.

Only last week the car was getting some stone chips repaired at their body shop and they reset my mileage with the push button.

Now I don’t if they did it recently or it was done before it was delivered but I am not happy e.g. what else has been taken off or I don’t know about it?

Or should I just ask for new screws and dust caps – just forget it.

Car is worth £32K new and I wished they told me about any repairs.

I’ll never buy a new car again lol.

jonnyboi

Speed screws?

xora

Seen Ferris Bueller?

orangeboy
    Free Member

And calm down a touch and explain

But yes maybe as xora says

scaredypants

reset my mileage with the push button

surely that’ll just be the trip mileage – there must be a “master” mileage. Have a look in the manual, there’s probably a toggle button somewhere (end of a steering column stalk ?).

nealglover
    Free Member

Firstly, what are speed screws ?

Secondly, what is it that concerns you about the trip meter being reset ?

Thirdly, maybe someone else nicked the valve caps (I can’t see valve caps being a rare commodity in a dealership full of cars that has its own parts dept) , or they were just left off when checking the pressures etc.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

LOL LOL!!!!

I’m sorry…… you’re worried about valve caps?

You are aware of the concept of “DEPRECIATION?”

Sorry to break it to you but just driving that new shiny car out of the showroom cost you a few thousand. You aint in Kansas anymore Toto and that car aint worth 32k anymore!!!!

Valve caps!!! LOL VALVE CAPS!!!

My heart bleeds for you!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Speedo screws that keep the speedo on have been removed as well the interior grommets.

It’s as if they have taken the speedo clocks off and lost the screws? Odd.

They chipped the screw heads as now it’s caught my eye and missing the interior screw covers too.

I love my car btw but annoyed to find it’s been tampered with either before or after a service.

Going to ask them to fit new screw covers.

Depreciation- not bothered by that.

jonnyboi

Are you sure the mileage is genuine?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Frankenstein – Member
    Speedo screws that keep the speedo on have been removed as well the interior grommets.

Is that not part of the dash or digital these days? Maybe a pic would help

sbob
    Free Member

Car is worth £32K new

We need to know what car it is before we can ignore your questions and just slag you off instead.

CheesybeanZ

Did you run it in properly ? 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

My heart bleeds for you!

What a helpful young chap you are!

funkmasterp

I have no idea what’s happened here and still don’t know what a speedo screw is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member
    I have no idea what’s happened here and still don’t know what a speedo screw is.

I’m hesitant to google it but I think it’s something you do with your GF when your wife is out

ski
    Free Member

Paying £32k for a clocked car, is that a record?

wrightyson
    Free Member

The op does state that it was a “brand new car” so unless it was a demonstrator that the dealer has been caning and using to commute in I can’t see there being any need to “clock” it. Plus is that even possible these days?

FuzzyWuzzy

This does sound odd, if the dash cover has been removed then I’d be concerned myself. When you say bought brand new, was it from a main dealer? And are you saying you think the dash cover was removed whilst it was in for repair or possibly it’s been there all along and you’ve only just noticed it?

Does it have a digital odometer, no clue how you clock those (assuming they have some protection) but if it were possible I doubt you’d need to remove the dash cover anyway.

I can’t see it making much sense to clock it at the last repair, unless it was in there for weeks and a mechanic took it on a driving holiday so if it has been clocked it sounds like maybe it wasn’t so new after all but when was it registered vs when you bought it etc.? Was it even registered before, if not it should only have had some delivery miles on it

kayak23

I can’t see there being any need to “clock” it. Plus is that even possible these days?

Course. Just drive it backwards innit.

spooky_b329

Seems a bit OTT to ‘clock’ the car, but pretty sure you would just plug the car in to clock it. By changing the clocks themselves, the replacement clocks could be from a 8 or 80,000 mile vehicle, but they would show the mileage sent by the ECU.

Did you get any dealer fit options? Hands free, tracker, sat nav wiring, audio upgrade may have needed parts removing to run wiring etc.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

When I drive my car backwards the speedo “needle” doesn’t register a speed – but the digital bit does. Sadly it doesn’t register a “minus” speed. Damn the clever technology these days.

OP – what car is it?

johndoh
    Free Member

If it was me I would be asking them what they think has happened to what was sold as a brand new car. Irrespective of depreciation or anything like that, if I bought brand new I would expect brand new. Just like if I bought a brand new bike – if there were clear visual clues as to it not being brand new I wouldn’t be happy.

finbar
    Free Member

Caterham? Morgan? I can’t imagine what else would have screws on the dashboard.

yetidave
    Free Member

When I drive my car backwards the speedo “needle” doesn’t register a speed

mine does

gobuchul
    Free Member

I don’t understand this thread?

Why would a brand new car need “repairs”?

Why would they remove screws and grommets without telling you and not replace them?

What do you mean about resetting the mileage?

You are going to spend a lot of money if you send it to a body shop every time you get a stone chip!

martinhutch

Caterham? Morgan? I can’t imagine what else would have screws on the dashboard.

Stalker mode engaged:

EDIT:
    Bit late to be asking the dealer about bits and pieces like that, especially as it’s been into another garage since them. Anyhow, would have thought the bodyshop boys were prime suspects for any tinkering, given they reset your trip miles. Pretty much irresistable for a rag-around, maybe?

Ah, I see it’s the MD bodyshop. Ask away then, I’d certainly be wanting an explanation.

perchypanther
    Free Member

still don’t know what a speedo screw is.

I think you need to be near a swimming pool.

wwaswas

I think you need to be near a swimming pool.

*snigger*

bikebouy
    Free Member

Speedo Screw!

Vwewy funny.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

LOL LOL!!!!

I’m sorry…… you’re worried about valve caps?

When did he mention valve caps?

Sounds like the screws that hold the speedo on, and the caps for said screws, have been removed.

Sounds well dodgy – get onto the garage that did the work.

nealglover
    Free Member

To be fair, he mention “speed screws” and “dust caps”

Wasn’t the best description, I also presumed he meant valve caps on the wheels.
    And had no idea what “speed screws” were.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m entirely confused by this – what car has screws holding in the speedo??? (and no, as far as I’m aware, the Mini one is not held in by exposed screws)

At least let us know what car and maybe a photo of what you are talking about?

Rachel

johndoh
    Free Member

I am still confused as to why the OP hasn’t simply spoken to the dealer and asked them what they did with the car.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What modern cars have screws in the dashboard?

legend
    Free Member

Maybe thats the problem – they’ve fired in a load of self-tappers to hold the dashboard together (makes you think)

Drac

Surely the resetting the mileage is only the trip, not an issue. As for the screws we need pics or at least a clue of the type of car.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion.

It’s a brand new JCW Mini and it was built in June and I took delivery in late June. I’m the only owner and saw the car in plastic packaging for PDI.

The speedometer is a retro style bolted on by three large black screws with (interior) blanking caps on top so you can’t see them.

I’ve only noticed the other day they were silver from being unscrewed with the wrong size screwdriver and missing the blanking caps as I looked for a spare part online and thought that’s odd they do come with the caps.

The car went back to the dealer bodyshop to get some stone chips on the bonnet repaired/touched up.

I noticed the speedometer trip was zeroed (odometer is was fine).

What annoyed me is when was the speedometer tampered with e.g. Before I picked it up or at the bodyshop. I’m asking them for an explanation.

If it was before I picked it up new due to a fault, then that’s ok but if the bodyshop has been tampering with my car – why?

I’m just annoyed and spitting the dummy.

Sorry for the typos I was drunk and miffed and I can see it didn’t make a difference to my typing.

Off to fit a spacer to my new cassette which I forgot.

Not my pic btw but it bolts to the steering column.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Previous threads suggest it’s a Mini – the fancy schmancy John Cooper Works version.

Previous threads also indicate that, following the good advice of Freddie Mercury*, we should take some of what the OP says with a pinch of salt.

*see also Peter Pan and Superman. Instead we should just ride our bicycles.

wwaswas

zero trip meter = the lads were using it for commuting while it was in there care.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

That’s not very nice perchypanther.

The car has been tampered but I’m going to ask the dealer why.

Car drives like new and I’ll get rid of it in 3 years and buy something else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Advice on a car I bought new from a dealer – missing parts? what else?’ is closed to new replies.